For those working in customer service, how do you handle rude and arrogant customers?

How do you handle customers with bad attitudes? Do you ever let these types of customers get to you? What has been your worst experience with a customer?

Most Helpful Guy

• If they get loud and/or angry I try to use my soft voice and say something like "Ok, let's stop and think". That usually calms them down even if the problem is that they are in a rush. Or something like "I can't help you if you don't explain (fill in the blank)".

Most Helpful Girl

• I had a customer call me incompetent waaaay back when I first started working in the business, we were out of something they wanted and because we didn't have it in the stock room, they were angry. I find the best way to handle these customers is to be so nice its disgusting, and never let them them know how irritated you are!

What Guys Said 6

• Oooooo man could i talk about shitty customers for hours, honestly i deal with them different ways, i usually do the classic "perfect employee voice" an just stand there with a neutral face an try my best to use short words or single word answers, usually works great unless you have a really dick bag, were i then loss all composure an us more of an " super pissed off voice" an that gets them the hell outta my section

• im curretly working in customer service and i dont give a fuck what the customers think of me! im nice and will go out of my way for the regular punters, but if anyone is rude to me i tell them where to go...

i dont give a shit as i know this job is a stop-gap whilst im at uni. fuck em... if they dont respect me then i dont respect them.

• I would just kill them with kindness and not give them a reason to be that way then I hand them my bosses number, and go about my day if they have a problem then they can take it yup with them.

• The saying "kill them with kindness" was invented for customer service people! :-D

• Act kind and friendly then bitch about them when you get off work

• Sometimes best to call the manager on to handle it.

What Girls Said 1

• Uhh I've been threatened cussed out yelled at everything I disconnect the call or walk away for coffee lmao or play the meow game see if they catch on

Crazy people! lol
      What meow game?

Oooh at first they pause, then go on talking or bitching, then they say excuse me, then you repeat and then they go on until you say it again then about that time they work up the balls to ask what are you saying and you deny deny deny and go on with it trying to not laugh at that point either they are trying to hold it together and not laugh at you because they think your retarded or they think they are hearing shit, lol its utterly hilarious... its so fucking retarded its funny

hahahah!!! I wouldn't be able to pull that off. :D