How do you usually react when someone mentally retarded tries to speak to you?

• Talk to them back
  • Ewwww get away
  • Poor thing
  • Other reaction (please say)

Most Helpful Girl

• I talk to them. Mentally ill or not, they're still human.

Most Helpful Guy

• A - I grew up in an area that had a hospital for people with intellectual disabilities and they are loads of halfway houses around the town - I am well used to people with intellectual disability - They are the lovliest people you are likely to meet - Who else would give you a hug or a kiss for no reason in the middle of the street?

What Girls Said 6

• A or B depending on if they look dirty and smell gross. Like if they're drooling, or covered in snot, picking their nose? Hell no.

• Talk to them and try to find the level they're on... so I can adapt.

• I talk back and try to be patient with them.

• I'm nice to them

• This question. I talk to them. I have mentally retarded family members.

• I try to make a pretext for going away

What Guys Said 15

• I am more than certain that someone with mental health issues or disabilities such as "retardation" aren't their fault or choice to begin with. Sometimes it could be the results of brain trauma or brain damage from accidents, etc.

I'd just do whatever I can to help if they require and request for my assistance, if it's not beyond the scope of something that is routine and daily or basic or I'd help find them assistance from someone else that can help them or is specialized in providing them assistance.

• I seriously just talk to them like they're a normal person and it turns out fine.
    I fucking hate when people talk to them as if they are 5 years old with that little kid tone of voice. There was a special needs girl who worked at the grocery store I worked at, and people always talked to her like that.

• I usually make every effort possible to give them a wedgie.

• I just pretend like they aren't actually retarded. People that we call retarded because they are just dumb are less sensible than these actual retards.

• Talk back! I actually used to be a peer tutor lol

(I used to play and teach them things for an hour a day, it's an awesome experience BTW)

• Well I don't refer to them as mentally retarded. I talk to them like regular people but in a more simple form. I'm not gonna talk slowly or spell out all my words so they're even more alienated than they already are.

• I react the same as if they where no different than everyone else.

• Like any decent human being, I talk to them.

• I talk back to them. It isn't their fault that they have a severe disability

• I would feel uneasy, I'm not going to lie. But I would still talk to them.

• Talk to them.

• like actually retarded or ryan reynolds

• I think "Why is it talking to me and what does it want?"

• 0|0
  • I used to try to be nice but was really uncomfortable.

Now? I have a close family member with a developmental disability. I know how communicating can be hard, and beyond that, initiating conversation can be hard. For all I know this is a big thing they're doing, so I want to encourage them.

but it's also a lot less 'odd' to me now, i'm more used to trying to encourage someone in a conversation.