How to deal with great amounts of anxiety/ sudden panic attacks?

Recently I've been experencing a great amount of stress which causes me to spend the entire night over thinking and such which i believe is my cause for a great deal of anxiety. I feel like i can't breathe at times that i have to sit down in a quite place and breathe deeply. I've never had this problem before except when it developed a few months ago. Im going to make an appointment to see my Dr. next week, but in the mean time what can i do?

Most Helpful Guy

• Is there anything specific causing you anxiety? It's good that you're doing breathing exercises. Just remember things aren't as bad as you are perceiving them.

Don't try to bury whatever feeling you're having. Accept whatever you feel and acknowledge there's nothing wrong with it.

Im stressing about work and a potential promotion in my name in a few months. Basically I'm over thinking everything, and worried about failing or not getting it, I've worked really hard and now I'm having to prove myself that i have the skills necessary to be promoted. I've wanted this promotion for the longest time now and I'm just worried "what if I'm not ready yet?"I know my manager wouldn't set me up to fail but I'm just second guessing myself i guess.

Its just a scary feeling you know? To not be able to catch your breathe... to feel like your hearts coming out of your chest. I over stress i think. I just really want this is all... I'm excited but at the same time its stressful. Im going to go see a Dr. next week. Thanks.

It's totally understandable. No problem, hope I helped :)

Most Helpful Girl

• I have a Middle Sibling, @molls_, who has this Anxiety, and has been on Meds, along with Seeing a doctor, for many Years here, dear.
    I am Relieved that You are Taking the Time to Get the Ball rolling now. This will Not go away Unless you do Take the First baby steps to Get this Under control.
    Good luck. xx

I'm scared, its scary to feel like you can't turn off your mind and catch your breath at times. I hate that I've let this get so far... i should have gone a few months ago when it first developed. Im thinking of also looking into a therapist, to talk over my fear, or find exercises when i experience extreme anxiety. i would prefer to not take pills... How are they dealing with anxiety?

The more you stress, the more they will come. But on a good medicine, this will help control them. My sister gone on beer to try and help her sleep but this caused a problem of another Big problem of being Pie eyed. It's Best to have the doctor assist you and to work hand in hand. xx

Thank you for the Like. xx

What Guys Said 2

• For the next week think about your stress - Then see what is necessary stress and unnecessary stress - Example necessary stress fulfilling responsibilities, unnecessary waiting for exam results (No amount of extra worrying will change result) - What I am saying is of course you will worry but try and put it in context.
    Next coping mechanisms - Nothing wrong with taking a few minutes out sitting in a quiet place and having a few deep breaths, exercise and walking good stress busters as well

• Every time you have had a panic attack you end up OK right? I have the same problem and yes they do suck but really stop and relax right when you feel anything coming on take deep breaths and tell yourself you know it's going to be all right you're going to be just fine which you are! Nobody is ever ever died from a panic attack I took myself to the hospital when I first started having them! It may seem like it may not kind of work at first but every time it gets better and better that's what I do try it won't hurt

Yes, but panic attacks are really scary specially since its all new to me. Anxiety is a bit more tolerable now but the sudden panic attacks take a toll on me. It's scary.

I know they really are I remember when I first started having them also. The doctor will probably just put you on either Xanax or Clonopin I was on Xanax for a year I didn't really like it because it made me kind of fuzzy and not care but it really did help when I did have panic attacks and if you are going to get on any medicine like that it sucks getting off of them if you take them straight for a year or for however how long I got to the point where I would just take them when I started feeling panic attacks. But I was on a pretty high dose. And the thing that sucks about them is it's all in your head and you can't control them and once they start happening you worry about having them again it's a snowball effect they suck Hun I'm sorry. Try the meds out and I hope they work if not you're going to have to learn to tell yourself it's going to be OK.

What Girls Said 1

• Have you by any chance recently gone onto birth control? My bc caused my anxiety to heighten majorly. To calm myself down I have a cup of tea or if I'm anxious about doing something I just do it and I get over it. But really you should go see a doc about it.