Predominantly white models sporting dreadlocks at the Marc Jacobs fashion show- Cultural appropriation, or have people gotten unnecessarily butt-hurt?

As part of his show on Thursday, Marc Jacobs sent a cast of predominantly white models down the catwalk with their hair styled multicolored wool dreadlocks.

Stylist Guido Palau told Harper's Bazaar that the look was inspired more by things like rave culture, club culture, or even George Michael.
Apparently, not everyone felt the same of a style that for many are a mainstay in black culture- a symbol of black pride in a society that stigmatizes textured hair while having preference for straight (.. can we refer to that as 'white?) hair.
What's your take on this?

Most Helpful Guy

• It is cultural appropriation just like eating spaghetti is cultural appropriation of Italians and the wonton soup I'm about to eat is cultural appropriation from Chinese.

As for people who are uptight about this shit, you can go fuck yourselves... and I'm a Liberal.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's fashion for goodness sake's.. People are so over sensitive it's ridiculous. When I had yarn braids in my hair all the black people around me seemed fine with it and even complimented me on it, the only people who had a problem with it were, surprise surprise, BLM justice warriors on Twitter.. and guess what, they were the exact people who then proceeded to wearing weaves and relaxing and bleaching their hair to achieve a "European" hair style. But of course it's only "cultural appropriation" when white people wear hairstyles and borrow cultural elements from other cultures. I feel like some people are so focused on finding racism in everything that they don't even realise how they are turning into racists themselves.
    Sorry, but I can't even take debates like that seriously anymore...

Wait... So an organization that publicly addresses instances of specific and systematic racism pointed this out as an instance of racism?

@BellePepper jeeze and lord mercy girl. If there was a hypersensitive division in the Paralympics... you'd win gold at the rate you're going...

@Negrodamuss I'm just using what you've said. So why is that everyone gets to do what they want with their hair except black ladies? Do you have something against black ladies? Do they not deserve to do what they want with their hair?

What Guys Said 20

• Apart from the fact that it looks like hell, I think it's a serious problem that white women are the representation of that type of beauty. Just type in cute dreadlocks into Google and see what you find. Now I don't care how people style their hair but I do think it's bullshit that things only become a standard of beauty after white women do it. The sad thing is nobody even cares or notices.

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ #MHO

@Afro-dite9 please stop talking. I couldn't care less if you block me or not because the more you claim that you're some kind of genius, only to make several grammatical/spelling errors that should've been left behind in grade school, the deeper you're digging your own grave. (In other words.. Keep digging.)

• I don't see what the big deal is at all, no one can own a hairstyle... people nowadays are constantly walking on egg shells in order to appear politically correct.

Its cause they are miserable losers with no life and nothing better to do that's why they get angry plus they are stupid.

• Well the type of people who get butthurt over this stuff are the same people who made the term cultural appropriation popular in the first place. So technically based on how they define the term, this does fit the definition. That being said, I dont see cultural appropriation as being a negative thing. They can call it whatever they want, I don't sympathize with their cause.

• i think it may be appropriation but i don't think all appropriation is a bad thing. and this certainly doesn't offend me as a black person at all

What appropriation is bad? After all, appropriation and assimilation are the give-and-take of cultural evolution.

@abc3643 if you appropriate only to exploit it or to actually perhaps mock it OR perhaps without sort of giving credit to it. perhaps like iggy azalea. she's a white girl from australia and yet she dresses, raps and has even gotten surgery to make herself look like a black woman from the south... so essentially she is caricaturing a cultural for financial gain without doing much to honor it

• This cultural appropriation shit is just a modern day thing, back in the day, difference cultures shared their culture with others. There's a reason why the Mediterranean area was so developed, and it was because they exchanged cultures with each others, trading and connecting with one another, getting the best from each.

Apparently, only one group can be blamed for cultural appropriation, despite the most obvious thing everyone seems to ignore.

• Not racist at all considering dreadlock hair is not just a black thing there are other cultures that have used dreadlock here even before African's adopted to it. And this whole this is my culture thing so you can't wear it or use it or whatever is really stupid. That would be like a white person saying you can't wear Tommy Hilfigure clothes or how black people can't wear victoria secrets clothes. This whole cultural appropriation shit is stupid and completely illogical. people should wear whatever they want despite how much it offends someone cause that's what Amercia was founded on.

• i don't take this stuff seriously. I really hope the crash comes sooner rather than later, so perhaps there will be a small chance that people start worrying about things that actually matter, and not what other hairstyles people choose to wear. It would be one thing if they were wearing the styles to make fun of a group of people or w/e... but its another thing entirely if they are wearing a style to look different, cool, interesting, or w/e. When i see a white guy wearing cornrows, my immediate thought isn't..."omg wtf is this guy doing wearing my peoples hair!!!"... i see it more as this guy paying homage to our culture by proudly wearing a part of it on his head. It would be something like getting a tattoo of your favourite actor or something to that affect. Clearly, the intent wasn't malicious, so i don't have much sympathy for people getting butthurt over it. Again, we need another crash. quickly

• everyone can wear the hairstyle they want. a symbol of black pride? if we use the same bullshit logic the other way around, then black people aren't allowed to do much anymore

people have to much time if they can complain about nonsense like this. seriously, don't you have other problems?

• I think it's time to grow thicker skin. I mean, what if Asians complain of cultural appropriation every time white people put ketchup on their food?

lol is ketchup Asian?
      (my boyfriend is Asian and every time he comes to my house, he'll eat ketchup. With just about anything. Because he said he never had it growing up, and his parents are still somewhat 'against' it so.. just curious.)
      :P

Yep!

It comes from the Cantonese words ke (tomato) tchup (sauce).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup#History

• I must say the look is not really my favourite... one or another way dreadlocks only work with dark hair, I think...

• Vikings had dreadlocks too, did they culturally appropriate? Bullshit sjw is bullshit

• This is too funny. Because of all the tolerance, intolerance is being tolerated. Girls won't have the freedom to look how they want soon, even in the Western world. Here comes the whitewashed version of Islam. They'll only be allowed whatever politically correct, gov't. issued look is allowed to them. So much for variety. White guilt is a powerful thing.

• what i can learn from this is that particular individuals are very scared to lose their culture.

• These people are the same ones that go to yoga class and meditate. But muh culture is only mine own

• It looks cool tbh.
    Which culture did dreadlocks come from?

• You don't own a hairstyle. Enough said.

Even if it "belonged" too a particular culture at some point, culture influence each other and adopt ideas they think are cool. It's natural.

If "cultural" appropriation is bad then non-Europeans should stop driving cars or something to that effect. It's obviously ridiculous.

• my cousin, white, once tried dreadlocks himself, noone liked it

• dreadlocks are a mainstay of European hipster culture and has along with braiding has historical roots in scandanavia.

• why should anybody care what they do with their hair

• Yes. What a fragile heart.

What Girls Said 13

• So people are upset that something inspired by their culture isn't being credited to their culture? HOW ODD.

Right 😂 Just out of curiosity, did you ever get anywhere in life with that ignorant attitude or?

@Jxpxtxr It's ignorant that people came from Africa? Are you a creationist now too?

• Hair does not belong to any one culture. There are White people born with afros, Black people with naturally straight hair, Asian people who have curly hair, Hispanics who naturally have red hair and so on down the line. Now if they started painting on some black face and adopting "an accent," yeah, let's talk about it, but hair, something that comes and goes, and everyone has and can do with what they please, nah.

very true. I'm curious what the people who were complaining about the cultural appropriation and using white models to rock dreadlocks (ironically enough, not being 'inclusive' enough) would say about Nicki Minaj's dreadlocks. Blonde dreadlocks.

• Here's why this is a big deal:

A school in Kentucky, yes, this is legit, banned students from their building if they wore dreads, braids, afros, or locks because it was unprofessional and deemed distracting. Almost half the population is black and it was felt by the community that hey were punishing black students as those are tradiationally black hair styles and come from black culture. The school is Butler Tradtional High School.

White women put it in different colors, walk down a runway, and all of a sudden it's high fashion.

That's why they're irritated.

This has even happened in South Africa too.

okay that's an unfortunate event in Kentucky. However, does that warrant something as big as people bitching about white models having their hair put in dreadlocks? I don't see what that will actually resolve. It's ironic, really. Because one or so schools in Kentucky made it a sensitive spot, so to make a point of how designers should be more 'inclusive', lets outlaw white models from ever having dreadlocks?

@kaylaS91 yes it does warrant that. You obviously missed the entire point of my comment.

• Dreads are just another hairstyle. They just need to get over it.

• https://imgur.com/ElTeDI9.jpg

That pretty much sums it up.

• Love Marc Jacob's response there.
    It's just hair ultimately. I don't see what the big deal is. Wear your hair how you want.

• People are just overly sensitive.

• i don't think it's a problem

• People are too sensitive. It's just hair.

• I honestly don't care. Are men disgusted by Kim Kardashian's fake butt and lips? Kanye loves it.

• Stupid sheep

thanks for your insightful and well thought out opinion, anon. :)

• This has gotten out of hand. Dreadlocks have literally been worn by many different cultures since the beginning of time. People are butt hurt over EVERYTHING now!!! Guess what? No one owns the "rights" to any look. I have different cultures from my ancestors and I dont get butt hurt if someone wears a head dress or anything else! People like what they like and if they want to rock that look then more power to them!

• I honestly dont see what the big freaking deal is...