Do you think we should teach people how to defend themselves against rapists?

• We should teach people self defense.
  • We shouldn't teach people how to defend themselves.

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course.
    We get taught mandatory self defence in PE (boys and girls both), and it was so much fun. Now everyone says to each other 'don't mess with me, I know self defence,' it's become a bit of a running joke.
    But in all seriousness, I think it's a great idea, and I still remember the maneuvers.
    (So G@Ggers, don't mess with me :P )

Most Helpful Guy

• Did it ever occur to anyone saying "teach men not to rape" (which women rape men too by the way, it happens) that bad people are always going to do bad things?

The only time rape will never be a problem. is when man kind is instinct

Man is the source of all problems

No man, no problem.

And I can't belive I just quoted Joseph Stalin

What Girls Said 15

• I think self defense is something that makes more sense to teach in PE than what we currently teach which is volleyball or football or just running

• no brainer really we should be able to have our boundaries respected and have consequences to put in place if these boundaries are breached

• Yes. As soon as a self-defense class comes to my area, I am taking it. I don't really worry about rape, but I do go for morning jogs and I've heard of people being mugged in the mornings. So I want to do it for that.

• My daughter will most definitely be enrolled in some sort of mma/self defense class when she's old enough.

• I think we should mass-produce insertable condoms with teeth, that way rapists will both have to go to the hospital and admit to being rapists and get their dicks chewed half-way off.

That implies that women can't rape men.

Or you should learn how to use a gun.

That would put me in jail in most countries.

• 0|1
  • Of course we should.

• It's always good to learn some self defense.

• Of course we should. But... Actually we should teach boys, about respecting girls and about NOT RAPING them.

Then why they rape women, if they know that it is wrong? Also, not everyone knows, that it's wrong. I'm not saying we should not teach people to defend themselves, we should teach boys to respect girls. And I'm saying BOYS not men. I mean, little boys. They should be taught respecting girls. Girls should be taught this too, respecting boys.

Lmao, everyone knows raping is wrong, I have never met someone who thought it was okay.

• We can try it. But when people are really scared they're brain freezes like they're in shock. We should teach people consent.

Like I said to someone else, you can prevent people from freezing up with training.

Even in broad terms, what would teaching people not to rape mean, in comparison with what we do now?

@thisperson98
      You actually never know what a person is going to do in a life or death situation.
      It was said best in Burn Notice
      "Behavior in a combat situation is unpredictable. Sometimes trained soldiers go screaming for the hills. Sometimes guys who've never fired anything bigger than a cap gun turn out to have ice in their veins. Nobody knows. "-- Michael Weston but that is completely true

• The problem is that, for many people, the brain freezes with fear and they don't do anything.

That is true, but there is ways to prevent freezing up. It takes time but you can prevent yourself from freezing up.

Handling such stress-situation to not freeze can be trained as well.

@FakeName123 I say this because I've been in the situation. My mine froze in fear. My body took over and near crippled the guy.

• Duh ofc
    I taught some things but I still need to learn more

• Obviously we should

• We should teach people not to rape.

• Self defense should be taught, not specifically against rape though but against all kinds of danger. Learning how to stay safe during a shooting, how to protect yourself if someone tries to rape you or beat you up, how to get away if kidnapped etc...

What Guys Said 11

• People should know how to defend themselves. But if the answer is suggesting that "we" are responsible for teaching someone else, I disagree with that part; everyone is responsible for obtaining their own education and training.

• Everybody should learn how to defend themselves with their bare hands👍

• I don't think anyone needs to be taught not to rape. Most people already know its wrong, they just don't care.

Teaching people something they already know is wrong isn't going to stop the people who don't care from doing it anyways.

• Many people learn the basics of self defense quite early.
    Many rapists weren't ever told how wrong rape is.

• I'll be that one guy.
    People are free to learn what they want. These things aren't a requirement.
    True this is good knowledge but rape is not an epidemic, perhaps in prison or foreign countries it is.

• I think self defence classes are a great idea for unarmed people.

• Depends on were you are in the world, some places have no rape culture other places do.

• I love what Penn and Teller said in their episode of Bullsht!! Talk about deterrent!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVC9-4waz8

• Who is doing the teaching? As it stands women are being taught to defecate on themselves to deter rapists.

• It's an unlikely event, no need to waste time teaching stuff.

• People should learn self defense in general, such a small percentage of women get raped though that it shouldn't just be a defend yourself against rape type thing