Video taping people without their permission legal?

There are a lot of videos online of guys picking up girls and video taping the interaction. They consider themselves players and usually go for sex the same day or next and assumably, that is the end of it.

Sometimes the womans face is visible and other times they are blocked out but a person who know them could probably figure it out.

Do you think this should be illegal? Do you think it is wrong to video tape?

• yes
  • no

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends.

There was a man video taping girls (16-19) secretly at a beach. The girls were doing normal beach things (laying out/playing volleyball/swimming/walking) in bikinis. The man posted this video on a pornography site.

Their parents of the girls were upset but the courts ruled that the girls did not have a reasonable expectation of privacy given that they were at a public beach, in public, with other people and they had willingly dressed the way they had and gone to the public setting.

So... if the guys in your scenarios are video taping the encounter in a public setting (park/mall/etc.) then the girl in question has no reasonable expectation of privacy and ergo it is perfectly legal. Just like you can't sue someone because you happen to be in the background of a picture they take of their family.

If the encounters were happening on the girl's property - her backyard, her porch, in her car, in her house... then there's potential for someone to get the courts to say it's an illegal invasion of privacy.

Great summary! You sound very smart for your age

I hear ya, but I think it is terrible... there is no privacy anymore in public. You could do something silly or fun, be drunk, say something not meant for public... and out of context, and lose your career, your family, your character damaged. It's a paparazzi world now...

Thank you. I have a BA in Criminal Justice and a minor in Homeland Security.

I sometimes know what I'm talking about :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Whether it should be prohibited depends upon whether the context gives the other person a reasonable basis to conclude that what she is doing or saying is private. If she is being videotaped while sitting at a bar, that's public. If she is being videotaped in the bedroom, that is private and should be protected.

interesting. So the scenario I see is a guy approaches a woman on the street as an example, and he picks her up, takes her to bars and such, then takes her home and vidoe tapes the whole thing right before the bedroom.

There's quite a few videos like that in different countries.

It sounds like she would have a reasonable expectation of privacy which should be protected. However, as others have noted, it is very likely that these videos are staged and being played by paid "actors/actresses."

What Girls Said 4

• It's bad and wouldn't like it done to me

• And it never occurred to you that a good 95% of those videos are actually staged?

it doesn't look like it to me... If it is staged, that is fine, but I doubt they are.

Yeah because they are actors.. Hell, even most "social experiment" vids on youtube are staged now in order to bring some kind of point the YouTube is trying to make across.

*youtuber

• it isn't illegal unless the person is a minor

• it is illegal and it's wrong

What Guys Said 9

• Well, photography is legal in public places unless the owner of the property stated in his 'Rules and Regulations' that it's not. So, being recorded on the street is totally legal and should stay that way. Photography is not a crime. Just be wary of your surroundings. I record trains and buses. People (passengers) are seen in almost all my videos. If they don't like it then can look down, turn around, cover their face, etc. But I am not doing anything illegal. And I've had people take pictures of me while I was recording. Got no problem with it.

• If their faces are blurred, it's ok. If they aren't and they haven't given consent, it's illegal if you're getting money out of it. If they don't consent but you're not getting money, it's legal. If they give consent, it's legal.

I like it how it is, it shouldn't be changed.

• Isn't this what happened to that girl in Italy who killed herself on Tuesday, a year after her sex tape went viral?

• I suppose depends on the consent of the other party - Do they allow taping and distribution - A big news story in Italy at the moment a woman committed suicide over an online sex tape that was distributed on internet.

• It is wrong to capture your own sex scene on a camera without the permission of your partner. Are you doing sex to express love and feel pleasure or are you doing sex to put your partner in trouble and shame?

• Assuming you live in America, it isn't illegal to video tape people in a public place.

I am. do you think it should be though to some extent? example: What if someone took a video of you doing something stupid in a bar and looking awful... and it went viral in media. Employers look for stuff these days as to other women. Probbly would want it removed, but that isn't so easy to do.

Its a social protocol mess...

No, that should be completely legal.

I don't think it should be illegal in public places. If it was illegal then police would be able to work around the law more easily, for example. It would be a lot harder to argue your case in court without video evidence as well. Say for example, a woman comes up to you shouting "STOP SEXUALLY HARASSING ME! OW YOU'RE HITTING ME! STOP GROPING ME!" while pushing and stumbling around you. The only evidence that you would have against her is your word. But, luckily, a bystander was recording and videotaped the confrontation.

In your example, it is possible that the person who was videotaped could sue for defamation.

• If it is in a public place or a place open to the public it is legal.

• it is illegal without their permission. So either they were asked for permission, it was staged or they risk a lawsuit

• No it should be illegal