Honestly shouldn't this guy go back to his country if he's not going to bother speak English?

On top of that he's a lazy Mexican that has been in our country since 1988 and has the nerve to come with a translator. Waste of time and he makes other legal Mexicans and others that care about our main language and culture look bad.

Yes, it was the land of Native Americans long eons ago but the main language has been English for a long time now so it's better they learn it if they're going to move here. The guy actually spoke English (and understands it) but simply refuses.

I think it makes sense what the senator told him. If I were to move to France and stay there for 5+ years for instance, would they like it if I refuse to learn French or adapt to its culture? That's would be disrespectful. Same thing. He's disrespecting us.

• Yes, waste of our time and money
  • No, he still can speak his language
2mo I bet if I were to come to his country, waste their money and resources for years, bother learning Spanish and do that in their court, they would be just as pissed too.
2mo "not even bother learning Spanish

Most Helpful Guy

• Yup, pathetic. English is ridiculously easy to learn (especially if Spanish is your native language) and it's everywhere anyway because of American/British/Canadian/Australian soft power, so you don't even need to take classes to learn basic English. I think an English-speaking country basically wouldn't lose any potential if it didn't let in people who didn't speak English BEFORE they wanted to come to the English speaking country because anyone who's not brain dead and/or living in the worst parts of a third world sh*thole could easily have learned English during childhood.

On top of that these people make other immigrants look bad/take away opportunities for other immigrants.

I'm not a native English speaker myself and wasn't born in the US and it bothers me when I come across people who've been in the US for 20 years but my English is way better than theirs, sometimes they can barely understand even simple phrases.

English is not an easy language to learn (I helped teach it for a little while)

Besides, this guy is from Texas. In parts of Texas (and some other southwestern states) Spanish is the language primarily spoken in day to day life and you wouldn't need to know it. The US actually has no official language.

@FallOutBoy2001

For the record I think any American should learn French or Spanish (and/or another major language, like Mandarin, if their parents can teach them). Knowing a second language is part of being a well-rounded individual, improves general cognitive performance and makes it much easier to learn even more languages later on. There's nothing elitist about it: it was common throughout history and it still is, even in poor countries.

It's also linked to higher intelligence, which is why I think it's a good idea for everyone to learn a second language

Most Helpful Girl

• Ok. I am not a racist at all. I believe that if you move to a new country where they speak a different language and you want to live and work there you should learn the damn language. If you've been in the (new) country for only a few years and go in between your native language and thats fine. You're learning but if you've been in this (new) country for years... you should be pretty fluent in the countries language. I've worked with people who have been in my countrt longer than i have been alive who still speak in their own language. (And the worst part is they do it in the workplace). It's technically harassment because they choose to speak in their native tongue so the rest of the people have no idea what tyheu are saying. Who knows if they're bad mouthing you? ( not that they all do). My whole thing is. .. why move to a different country to get away from your own if you're not gonna adapt to the (new) culture and just make it exactly like where you came from. There's really no point in having left your own country then. Im all for diversity but i dont want to be expected to adapt to someone elses culture because they choose to not be a part of ours.

Well spoken and that's precisely what I was trying to point out. I have a latino neighbor who came here 10 years ago but unlike that guy on the video, he speaks English. Even he hates it when other latinos don't bother learning English after a while.
      I don't think there is any excuse not to learn a country's main language after someone has been living in that country for years.

Lol yeah I know what you mean there! But that's because they are low paying jobs that English speaking white people refuse to do, I've worked at some in the past. I blame the employers more so than the employee. They have to speak English, accents don't matter because everyone is different anyways. When I did tech support for a t & t uverse some of the calls would come from the southern states and I couldn't understand them even though English was the only language they knew lol

@Flurr Oh yeah, I know right! Thats another pet peeve I have. When people bitch about all those "useless telemarketers, call center employees or fast food workers", somebody has to do the job and at least they're working.

What Guys Said 20

• This chap is doing whatever he's doing on purpose. These are the types that come in begging, understand the laws & then misuse as well as insult the land they are dependant on sneering at the others.

Such characters should be thrown out & let them deal with the international courts for a lifetime IF they have the resources.

If such characters are so proud of their land & language that they refuse to respect the land they live in & provides them resources then why don't they just stay back where they are & contribute to betterment of their own land?

Not learnt owing to inability is fine but refraining on purpose they deserve a kick

• If people are going to live in a country, then they should learn the language, period. I don't like when folks go to Japan and refuse to learn Japanese, go to Brazil and refuse to learn Portuguese, go to Egypt and refuse to learn Arabic, etc.

By the way, I speak Spanish and am insulted that this vato has spent decades here but won't speak English at a government forum. Props to the no-bull**** Texan for calling him out.

This exactly. I'm willing to bet they wouldn't like it if I move to Tijuana, Mexico... spend more than 5 years there and do the same thing that guy is doing.

Yup. I personally don't even like English, but that's the language we use. Countries such as Belgium with dual national tongues are a mess culturally, because the language divide permeates society and is just an all around hassle, because everything has to be printed twice. I don't care if private companies here wish to tailor their products and services to non-English speakers, but all government documents and functions should be done exclusively in English (none of this "Es la ley!" crap), except immigration services for those people interested in becoming US citizens.

I'd rather Spanish be our national language, but it's not. English is, and people need to learn it. Simple as that.

• I mo thuairimse, go raibh iompar an seanadóir náireach agus an-bigoted. Más mian leat freagra a thabhairt dom , ba mhaith liom tú freagra a thabhairt i nGaeilge , ó tá mé saoránach Éireannach.

Translation:- I think the behaviour of the Senator was disgraceful and very bigoted. If you wish to reply to me, I want you to reply in Irish, since I am an Irish citizen

A better analogy one would be of an immigrant who's lived in Ireland since 1988 and refuses to speak Irish, or English (both are official languages) to you, IMHO you would have every right to be bothered by that. Heck, even if you moved to Bhutan in 1988 you should be fluent in Dzongkha fluently by now, otherwise you're a bad immigrant.

@JohnDoe3000 I think the guy has the right to use his first language, he brought a translator to facilitate the hearing - I don't believe in blanket assimilation by the host country, they are not "The Borg".

Legally speaking he has that right, just like you legally have the right to cheat on your girlfriend... also, assimilation is not necessarily a bad thing: (effective) monolingualism is beneficial to a country and a country may not be the right place for you if you refuse to adopt its language and mingle with its citizens. Plus, do they honestly expect that a local copy of their third world home country would be any less sh*tty than that home country they so desperately wanted to leave? Assimilation leads to success for immigrants and success is usually what they're after.

These people don't seem to understand their stubbornness is hurting themselves and their kids' future most of all.

• Everyone has a right to make do with what he is capable of doing. Remember USA is a democratic nation. If he is not able to communicate in English he can use a translator or can even use sign language. Or he can use an alternate language which is understood by others. The purpose of communication is not that we should talk in a particular language but the purpose is more of understanding what each other says. Any way , some people pick up a new language very fast. Those who are slow learners can take their own time. They are already suffering because they have problem talking and interacting with other people. Why add insult to injury. Be kind and loving to such people and help them to get over this difficult situation.

• I'm multilingual , but expect any newcomers to at least learn the basics. There are large various immigrant communities here in the UK , some have been here decades & have never bothered learning more than a few English words. My ancestors from my mothers side ( Hungary / Ukraine borderlands ) learnt English as quickly as possible , coming from a mix of a Uralic & Slavic language , covering 2 different alphabets too , that's an achievement !! Spanish is much closer to English than especially Magyar ( Hungarian )

• Actually, Texas was a Mexican state before US settlers busted in, followed by the US Army, wasn't it?

• He can speak whatever language he wants to speak. You can also refuse to employee or do business with him if he can't speak the language you do business in with your customers. It's pretty damn American to have freedom of speech. If he chooses to articulate his opinions and ideas in Spanish I have no issue with it. While most people in a country that predominately speaks English as their only language will not understand his message, he should still be able to express that message without fear of government retaliation or censorship.

• Why should he have to speak English. He can speak whatever he wants. It may be reason not to talk to him or to hire him, that's his problem.

• 88. Doesn't know English. Probably an illegal. Pretty sure the test is in English from what I've been told.
    Basically he's a squatter in our country so yeah. If he was seeking to become a legal citizen it woukd be different buts he's had over 20 years.

• well there is no official language in the united states. hmmmmm. i dont really care either way as long as he follows the laws that all i care about.

• Those kinda fucks make Latinos and Mexican immigrants look bad. My wife was bright here at an early age and she loves this county and hates stupid lazy Mexicans like this! Go back if you can't or won't assimilate.

Exactly. If someone is going to come to another country and stay there for years, then they better at least learn to speak its main language at least... not come bringing their country at important events where nobody understands them.

• B, because the US does not have an official language. A few states do, but the US itself does not. You're free to speak whatever you want; this also applies in court.

If you were to speak Spanish in a French court, that would be a problem, because France has an official language; it's French.

• You said eons. This video is from Texas. When did Texas accede to US? The answer is 1846, and I don't know the last time how five generations is eons. Moreover, Texas doesn't have an official language and it is acknowledged that there is a sizeable Spanish minority. Know your own country better (yeah, hit back at me saying that I am a foreigner but we've had oath taken at Holyrood in South Asian languages).

If somebody calls it insulting, that is just a supremacist attitude, the modern world is manifold, get over it.

Well, then I'm sure a Mexican senator wouldn't mind if you approached him in Mayan, because it hasn't been "eons" since that language was widely spoken there, right? For the same reason it also wouldn't be too much to ask to have all government forms translated to Mayan, right?

Why should any country let you in when you refuse to learn the main language while there are plenty of other prospective immigrants who do want to learn the language or already speak it?

@JohnDoe3000 He said he speaks English, but is better expressed in Spanish. Perhaps if there was no translator available, he would have spoken in English. Understand, Texas has no official language, and it is not illegal to speak in Spanish.

I would have had a problem only if he insisted on speaking Spanish, despite the other person not understanding and there being no translator.

• ''Waste of time and he makes other legal Mexicans and others that care about our main language and culture look bad''

people who think like this are stupid. He doesn't make anybody else look bad, because he is responsible for his own actions. this has nothing to do with native americans either, it has to do with his poor character

• Very few people can speak properly period, even if they were born in an English speaking country. English is not native to the Americas so you can't compare it to France, but seeing this is from Texas where Spanish was the language of the land once upon a time, and the US does not have a legal national language anyways. (Unless they recently changed that).

He doesn't have to speak perfect English but at least try and make it understandable enough to speak it. That would mean he appreciates our language and assimilates to our culture.

They wouldn't like it if I waste their resources, stay in their country for years and not even bother learning their language would they?

What do you mean? He speaks English, listen to the video you posted.

How many languages do you know by the way?

• rofl, totally unrelated but the "mexi" part reminded me of
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RrFmbJzWno

• What if he lives in Puerto Rico?

Thats part of the U. S, has more people than plenty of states, and it has more population than Wyoming, Montana, Alaska, and Vermont Combined but the main language used their is Spanish,
      Sure 99.9 percent of people will be able to speak English and they are taught both Spanish and English in School but they primarily use Spanish,
      How about New Mexico Spanish
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexican_Spanish
      Or how about parts of Extreme southern Texas and Arizona where you will find a lot of people who use Spanish more often than English.
      The U. S has NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE.
      Hell, if things had went slightly differently, it would be more than likely we'd all be speaking German primarily rather than English.
      Also the President Martin Van Buren's first language was Dutch and didn't start using English in his day to day life till he moved to Washington

@Wulfila
      It really is the ugliest and most vile and gutteral sounding langauge, really only russian may be worse

More power to you, bro. I enjoy rough, coarse, and pungent things myself, and German fits into that category.

Arabic and Lao are probably the worst sounding languages to me, with Swahili and Quechua being the most fun to listen to. Reconstructed Latin and Attic Greek are cool too.

• he should have learned English.

• Been here that long and hasn't picked up on it? Pretty dumb if you ask me, why you choose to live in a country and speak the language? That would be frustrating to everyone around you and just makes it harder to function in that country with out proper communication

• you sure you want to go this route here, on gag?

It's really upsetting because he's wasting our time. I updated my post if you haven't notice. Would they like it if you did the same thing in their country? I'm willing to bet they would be upset too because it's disrespectful.

it not a good idea to bring up race on gag.

What Girls Said 1

• he can speak his mother ducking native language if he wants, now do me a favor, think about this, you have the " American dream" you ask for something and you get it in a heart beat, people from around the world come to America to have that dream but you know something? They have to work for it, they have to learn another language, so stop being a nacisist and try to understand stuff more

Im not from American. Im also not getting overly defensive. This is a forum for people's opinions. I gave my input and you dont like it. Just say you dont agree instead of attacking me saying im a narcissist and racist. I dont care who you are or what colour you are. By you're reasoning... I can go to... Korea to live and work. I dont have to speak the language. I can speak English. I'll stay there for 20 some odd years and still speak English then when Korea gets upset with me that im not speaking their language I can retaliate and say that they are being discriminatory and racist and they should adjust to my culture? Personally, I would never move to a country where I won't even try to speak their language or won't adapt to their culture if I plan on living there for a long time. I respect people's opinions, just respectfully disagree with me then move on.

@Geministar16 omagaaahhhhh kill me for attacking some girl