Should the US acknowledge and apologize for the Native American Genocide?

• Yes (I'm an American)
  • No (I'm American)
  • Yes (I'm not American)
  • No (I'm not American)
  • Yes (I'm Native American)
  • No (I'm Native American)
  • Results

Most Helpful Girl

• We haven't already? Damn. Own up.

What Guys Said 25

• So where exactly do you draw the line for guilt and apologies historically?

Should Italy apologise for subduing most of Europe and north Africa? What about Russia for Attila's carnage? Can we go further back? What about apologising for our cavemen ancestors? What if our common fish ancestors wiped out another species of fish? Should all of humanity send out an apology to the related fish still alive today? What about when life on earth was just in bacterial form? Do we apologise for the mistakes of our bacterian ancestors in being mean to other bacteria?

I'm not saying you shouldn't apologise, but I'd be curious to see where the line is at.

False equivalency and you're deflecting on the issue at hand

Not really deflecting. Im just asking how far back will people go? To me its irrelevant and idiotic.

Instead of feeling guilty for the distant past, a past no one neither victim or agressor or their direct descendants remember cause theyre all dead, worry about today, its policies here and now. Wanna apologise, apologise for something that matters to people who are suffering from it here and now. there's plenty to choose from, the US govt has so much blood on its hands, just pick any one of the atrocities its responsible for. Im sure you can find something the US govt should apologise to the natives for today, that is relevant here and now. The colonial invasion? A bit far back in my view. And to me, if you go that far back, where do you stop?

• Actually it should be Spain, France and the UK

• The huge majority of deaths inflicted on the Amerindian population was the result of diseases introduced by the Europeans inadvertently. In many cases, the sicknesses moved well ahead of white people via animals and insects, so when these folks came upon areas that were once previously populated, many were completely empty. The remaining deaths were almost entirely due to two-sided conflicts, with infrequent genocides committed by both groups. It just so happened that the iron age Europeans managed to win in the end (intra-species competition and natural selection at work).

Besides, just like the white devils, red people killed each other constantly. Did you know that the largest massacre in South Dakota isn't Wounded Knee, but rather this:

www.academia.edu/.../Mass_Grave_at_Crow_Creek_in_South_Dakota_Reveals_How_Indians_Massacred_Indians_in_14th_Century_Attack

www.washingtontimes.com/.../

So, really, at the end of the day, the actual culprit in the Native American genocide was good ol' Mother Nature. Maybe she should apologize instead? ;-) And just to drive the point home:

www.BBC.com/news/science-environment-28871719

• No, because it doesn't change anything. All those lives lost on the Trail of Tears aren't coming back. It's up to each individual American to decide how they feel about it, but the country itself shouldn't try to overreach and speak for everyone.

The Natives are not stupid. They know most Americans don't truly give a shit about them or what happened to them, so a half-hearted apology would be more insulting than not saying anything at all, which is what the US is rightfully doing.

• Easy solution: everyone should just apologize to everyone and pay each other $10k in damages. If you go back far enough in history everyone has both ancestors who have done something and who were victims (a lot of people even have ancestors from both sides of a given conflict).

• Maybe it should be investigated and factually represented possibly returning some tribal lands and ownership of resources.

• "oh sorry we killed off all of you please don't be mad"

LOL what does THAT accomplish? It doesn't bring back the dead

• It was a war among races, there was no "genocide" as in targeted extermination. Disease killed off millions soon after explorers arrived, but that wasn't intentional.
    This is like asking if the Normans should apologize to the Saxons when Britain was conquered, just stupid.

• Yeah, though in a lot of States like Mine they will explicitly call it a genocide in history class and point out that we did wrong.

Though it was admittedly in certain times far more of a two sided conflict than a genocide.

• how's that apology gonna look?

something like this right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TiV6dHtYHM

• I am not American, but mind you, my ancestors were some of the few who continued to live in Scotland and I perhaps have distant cousins whose ancestors were responsible for the genocide. The least we can do as a society is to acknowledge our past mistake (I also want my own country to apologise for their colonial past) and create a more inclusive world.

• The United States should apologize to Laos for the bombings we dropped on them. The United States should apologize for using dogs to attack civil rights protestors. They should apologize for using chemical gases on black men and other people of color in World War II. They should apologize for unnecessary killing Iraqis after 9/11. They should apologize for running drugs in the black community. They should apologize for so many wrong things they did in history.

• I'm an American. I think we should apologize. No matter how long ago it was. If you live here in America you have directly benefitted from the action

• Why should I apologize for something I didn't do?

• What's the point? I'd be more irritated if anything if I was a Native and that happened.

• Only if they apologize for not paying taxes and getting a free check their whole lives. lol

• YES!! OF COURSE!!!

• Apologies won't solve anything... just stop being assholes to each other.

• The government as an entity should, American people shouldn't.

The government as an entity already has. No more need.

• I don't think it's a good idea to reopen the old wound then put Tabasco on it.

• No. None of the people who put that policy in effect are alive. That's just some idea that panders to the liberal political correct who thing every group is owed something.

• Why do people just like bringing back old shit and complain about it

• Why should they? Those primitives committed suicide or got ill.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 4

• Neither the people who did it nor the people who suffered are still alive, so who apologizes to whom? Second, what do you mean by the Native American genocide? How the colonizers colonized North America and brought European diseases there? That's not a genocide. How Indians were moved to Oklahoma? That was not a genocide. Genocides are INTENTIONAL. Those crimes were not intentional.

• No because the people behind that are dead. They would be the ones to apologize.

This. When all the perpetrators and victims and even all of their children are dead such apologies only serve the interests of certain activist groups. Plus it reinforces the dangerous idea that some civilizations were innocent while others were evil.

• yeah probably

• We've done so a million times