If A 1980s Or 1990s Musician Wins The MTV Award For Music Video Of The Year Does That Mean Their Video Got The Most Video Airplay?

Please Explain :p

Most Helpful Girl

• I have to agree with @Waffles731, @Red88xxx
    Good luck and Great question, Thanks for Sharing. xx

Thank you for the Vote of Confidence and too bad he don't ever agree with me, this cad. xx

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know anything about how MTV gives out their awards. I haven't watched MTV in many years. The last time I checked in, I believe that Video Killed The Radio Star. :)

You mean literally the first Music Video ever played on MTV?

Why was that the only music video you watched on MTV?

I watched MTV maybe 8-10 times over the first few years when it started but that video and "And She Danced" (by the Hooters) are the only videos I remember.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 4

• I think there's just some kind of vote. Not sure if it's by some committee or if there's fan input or if it's just some Hollywood-generated PR move and someone is getting paid.

• It's usually the video that was best, or people voted it best , maybe Martha Quinn had something to do with it 😊

• No, it means MTV thought that it promoting it would get the most new views are make more money

What you said made absolutely no sense

MTV giving the award to a music video,
      They decide that promoting that video with an award will get them the most new views and this drives up ad sales with drives up profit

• It is voted... not judged by playtime. But MTV also had a format back then. The original format had around a 2 hour planned selection of videos that looped repeatedly and was modified as a new video was released and entered. By the late 80's, that block was around 4 hours long. You could predict what video was next as it did not change until a new round of videos were added. If a video received "more" play in that era, it meant they were pushing it by adding it multiple times to a format. That usually meant they were paid to play it more.

In the 90's Total Request Live was a spot where things could change up, but it really wasn't that different day to day...