What do you think of this article about "body shaming"?

Most Helpful Guy

• Cheerleaders need to dress smart. They have a job to perform. They are more like a sports team. Their dress should be appropriate for the occasion. Sometimes they can be sexy. Sometimes they can be a little conservative. It depends upon the culture of the place where their school is located. The school administration should ensure that they are not sexually exposed.

What Girls Said 7

• I get why they're upset. Why does everything have to be turned into something sexual?
    Cheerleading is a sport, no one ever tells swimmers to cover up, why is this any different?

School dress codes in the US seem ridiculous. It's oversexualising teenagers and it's sending the wrong message to girls and boys.

because swimmers don't go to school in their bathing suits. they know better

cheerleading uniforms are supposedly already pretty modest, at least more so than swimsuits

• Pretty sure no one is going to read that...

• Ffs! Cheerleaders are meant to wear skirts. There's nothing wrong with that at all. The only problem here is that guys dirty mind is at work.

not always. they don't always wear skirts

Well mist of the time they wear shorts or skirts when Cheer leading. Very rarely have I seen them in track bottoms or leotards.

@Asker They almost always do.

• I hear stories like this all the time at schools. What is wrong with people that they would blame girls for the thoughts of horny boys? shouldn't the boys be ashamed of themselves and learn self control?

1. they're girls. i think they know what they're doing, if you know what i mean
      2. it's utah!

some wome are the same with men and that sort of thing

Yeah but girls dont get boners so its a lot easier to hide. And I've never heard a girl complain that the way a guy is dressed made them have impure thoughts lol

• Those outfits are super ok. You should see the uniforms we had. If the length of the uniforms dont comply with dress code fix it. Its not body shaming though

i guess it would really depend on the size of the girl, right? not just weight, but, height as well. shorter skirts look sluttier, on taller girls

They measure from the knee up bro.

just sayin'

• Give me a fucking break.

Unless the uniforms break the school dress code, tough shit.

but apparently they do. they're "too short"

but it DOES happen

And what's your point?

It does happen. Yeah. I kmow. And?

• i think it's ok to wear short skirts

to school, in a state like utah? oh, that's right, you don't know about utah, cause you're in Japan

i've heard there's a large mormon population

mhmmm

What Guys Said 15

• It probably went like this...

Mom: Jimmy what did you learn today in school?
    Jimmy: I don't know...
    Mom: Why?
    Jimmy: I was too busy staring at Jenny's legs. lol
    Mom: Who's Jenny?
    Jimmy: Some cheerleader...
    Mom: This won't stand, you're going to bible camp this summer and I'm calling the principal! My son will not be filled with impure thoughts in a learning environment!
    Jimmy: Mooooooommmmmm! What the hell?
    Mom: Turns into an Apache helicopter mom and causes problems for everyone threatening people with law suits and shit like that...

• Cheerleaders wearing their cheerleading skirts is as American as apple pie. This twerp who complained about his "impure thoughts" should just masturbate more. Note to twerp: High school boys have been having "impure thoughts" about girls for. . . like forever.

but they don't complain about girls that aren't cheerleaders

@Asker 'Cause the cheerleaders are wearing sexy-ass outfits (which I don't see as something to complain about).

• It was a guy who complained 😮

I would have thought it would be someones parents who complained 😅

they did. his mother complained about his son complaining

A family of complainers 😂

yeah, about skirts that are too short, for school

• Sounds like this guy has an issue with feeling that the world revolves around him. If you can't control your thoughts, that's your problem. Never in my life have I seen an attractive girl in a skimpy outfit and felt that I couldn't maintain control of myself in some way.
    They're just legs. Yes, legs can be attractive... but they're not inappropriate. This is stupid.

• Yeah I agree there is an insidious undertone - As one of the cheerleader said, it sounds like a "Are we surprised she was raped, did you see what she was wearing?"

• The whole incident sounds abnormal.
    Either it's all bogus just to pat 3rd wave feminism on the back or there is something more to the story than they show.
    I just can't see any sane high school guy go and complain about being "distracted" by short uniforms.

I'd believe if it was the work of an insane radically religious nutjob of a parent who got butthurt and complained in their son's stead.
    Real or not, it is bullshit either way.

im honestly tired of this whole "third wave feminism" crap people complain about. im a feminist, my mom is too, she's been married 25+ years. and he's from utah the kid, UTAH! near BYU, brigham young university

• Well I wouldn't say it's body shaming. I do think they have a point though if Cheerleaders can dress like that then everyone should be able to.

not necessarily

eh, sort of

Do you think they do at this school in Utah though? I seriously doubt it.

• well school is work and there is appropriate attire that can be worn at work.

girls can certainly wear skirts to school, they do it all the time, it's just, he was complaining that the cheerleaders skirts were too short. the taller the girl, the shorter the skirt LOOKS

@nog642 too short is subjective.

@dudeman Yeah well in the article there was a picure, and in my opinion they weren't too short.

• It's ridiculous. The school administration shouldn't have done that. It's not body shaming though, I don't know why the article calls it that.

• sex sells.

• He could always live with nuns and the impure thoughts for little boys.

he has a right to complain though

he certainly does. frivolous lawsuits still get thrown out daily.

He has a right to complain, the administration should have just not done anything about it.

• WTF?

Isn't incepting "impure" thoughts into men the whole point of cheerleaders?

im not sure what cheerleaders are supposed to do

I'm sure you're right about that. Glad I could help a little. ✌

this still doesn't answer the question at hand though

• There is no "body shaming".

people shame all the time

@Asker That has nothing to do with what's in the article though.

• I have mixed feelings of annoyance.

1) on one hand this feeds into the whole 'the whole world should change based on how I feel' mentality. This kid needs to learn to cope not demand everyone else change.

2) it wouldn't remotely surprise me if the schools cheerleading outfit doesn't meet the schools dress code.

And it's like seriously? So the schools position is that a skirt that short is too sexual and it would distract male students in class, but is therefore ideal for getting them worked up for football? The doublethink there blows my mind. You'd think they'd want to either pretend short skirts aren't sexual st all, or not parade teenage girls as eye candy.

I always find the dress code stuff in the paper odd. I see kids wearing stuff that like... Would never be accepted in a workplace and maybe thet should be reigned in. But whenever I see something In the press it's always like the most modest outfit being busted. Are thousands of ridiculous outfits being busted every day and the odd overzealous school makes the news? Or are dress codes really really different based on area?

the article is about a school in UTAH. UTAH!

Yeah we get it, it's in Utah. So?

• Good. The girls deserved it. Girls are mean, unless you are mean to them first.

girls who aren't taught that being nice, gets you places, are mean