Are you an Atheist, Agnostic, or Theist?

Atheist- Someone who believes there is no god
Agnostic- Someone who is unsure if there is a god, or thinks it is impossible for humans to know if there is or not
Theist- Someone who believes in god

If you like, explain below your reasoning as to why you feel this way.
I am a theist :p

• Atheist
  • Agnostic
  • Theists
2mo Ok so y'all are posting loads of comments saying, 'I'm agnostic', 'I'm a theists' and all that, but you already answered that question in the poll. You're not explaining WHY you feel that way.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• lol @ you're update. I know that's frustrating, so I'll give you my Why :P

I grew up in a Christian family, in Christian schools my entire life before college. I started questioning my feelings on Christianity in middle school, and quickly realized that I didn't want to be a part of it. I wasn't happy with certain things I'd read in the Bible, I wasn't happy with messages I received in church/school, from my family, from Christian history. I was increasingly interested in history and politics, leaning strongly to the left, and many of my convictions didn't fit within my understanding of Christianity. It wasn't enough to tell me that it was okay to be what they called a "liberal Christian" either, when the Bible was clear as day on several non-liberal things. It didn't make sense to me to hold onto the title of Christian if I didn't believe in the Bible as anything more than historical document of what people believed at the time. So I stopped calling myself Christian.

Then in early high school, I continued thinking about the subject of religion, and whether or not the issue was more than just that. I started thinking about the subject of gods, and when I couldnt find any concrete evidence or sound logic behind belief in gods, I knew the answer on where I stood. I was an atheist and I'm still an atheist today. I think my parents initially thought I was just trying to rebel, but they realized over the years that my conviction of atheism runs deep into the way I view the world and how I process information. I think that's key to it all really. I think some people have a natural predisposition to fall on either side. I questioned everything as a child, in a very logical and unyielding manner. I always say that such a mind really isn't made for religion/theism most of the time. Faith in god requires some backing down from doubt. That's why they encouraged us to always pray about unholy thoughts, give it to god, pray the doubt away. If you don't do that, and purposely try to make logical sense of religion, of god, you might be on fast track to atheism. That was my experience anyway.

There's also some other psychological elements related to faith as well. They've done studies on brain activity between believers and atheists, and we do respond to some things differently. It's quite interesting to me to view faith in terms of biology, psychology, and history. One could argue that there's less choice in it than we really think.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this, it was interesting to read :)

I Have a question, when you say you don't 'find any concrete evidence or sound logic behind belief in gods', do you find any logic or evidence in believing there are no gods? In other words, what makes you atheist and not agnostic?
      I'm not trying to criticize or change your views, just curious as to how you see it. The phrase, 'The absence of proof is not proof of absence' comes to mind.

Based on human psychology and the history of religion and gods, I'm convinced that god is as much a human creation as religion is, and a very useful tool for organizing society around specific ideas. It seems likely that the creators of these religions and "messengers of god" were likely suffering from the same psychological pathologies that we treat with modern medicine or they were very advantageous, as is the case today with many religious leaders.

I guess, while it might be possible that some "real" things exist but can't be proven, I am not one to believe in such things, and I would never concede to their existence without sound logic, involving evidence, or at least a pretty good beginning argument. Belief in god doesn't really involve either one.

But I do think belief in god is an understandable and likely conclusion, based on the natural fears and needs in the human experience. I understand the feelings that lead to theism, but I think religion is also indoctrinating.

I'm curious, why do you believe in god?

I've given you a novel, so now it's your turn xD

What Guys Said 28

• i believe in hard work and self improvement. if i have a nice meal, the only person i have to thank is myself because i worked my ass off to be able to afford that meal. god did not give me that job, i worked to get it. god did not give me abs, my willpower and hard work did. god did not give me willpower, my parents and other peers did that when they educated me in my upbringing. when my grandmother died it was not god that took her, it was old age. when i fail to achieve something that i want, i try harder until i manage. praying is a waste of time and does not do anything to help me achieve my goals. only i can do that.

religion is bullshit and the only reason it existed is because people couldnt explain how the world worked. its easy to say "god is angry" when someone asks you how thunder and lightning works. why religion still exists in this day and age is beyond me.

im not ok with religious people spreading their beliefs. i do not think its ok to "just accept people as they are". we all have a duty as humans to improve ourselves. religion actively works against science and the discovery of how the world works. religion actively stops us from getting smarter. religion makes people content with not educating themselves. it makes people lazy.

religion is not ok.

• Apatheist here

• Christian

• 13 kids said "atheist" from knowledge they accumulated from youtube videos. thats the tragedy of our society. saying the easy thing, choosing the easy path, to live a life you think is "free". (while its slavery to your instincts). atheism shouldn't even exist as a term. its nonsensical. EVERYTHING boils down to belief/faith. even science.

You know what I kind of agree.
      I Realised recently it's sort of impossible to be fully atheist as there's no way to ultimately prove there were never any gods.

this is the most ironic thing I've read today

the tragedy of our society is indeed what you say it is. this is exactly why religion still exists. people believe things without questioning anything

and yes its "in fashion" today to claim that. 99% of kids who say it, are in the "fashion category". thats how deep they dug with their "research" (if any was done).

• I voted atheist. Altough I don't think many atheists are claiming to know for sure that there is no god, so it's more like agnostic. There could be a god, but there's no reason to think so so I'm going to assume there isn't one until there is reason to believe in one.

• I am generally an agnostic but on some days when I am more pessimistic I can sound like an athiest.

• You left out Deist.

- Someone who believes in a deity's existence but doesn't believe that it has anything to do with the universe anymore (created it and moved on).

• From those definitions, I am a moderate Atheist but I am cool with Theists.

• Atheist.

• Out of these, I'm "C" even though I'm Buddhist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agjAve4UACY

• Atheist here

• Neither. I don't care if there is or isn't a god or many gods. This is just another way to label and segregate people, too much shit gets stirred up over beliefs such as this or religion.

• My parents are Catholics, but I'm more like Agnostic.

• Theist

• Agnostic leaning atheist

• I'm spiritual. I believe that the world and everything in it is too complex to have come about by complete, random accident or chance. HOWEVER, I don't believe in religion.

• meh, if god is outta there he got his own business and i got mine

• I'm a sexist

There is a god but she is a woman and that's why the world is so screwed up. Deadly hurricanes and earthquakes are her pms.

• I'm Catholic.

• atheist. god is silly and doesn't exist, and religion is false/made up/

What is it about the ultimate cause of the universe which makes you think it's silly to believe it may have been sentient?

since you're just some random person, i don't owe you an explanation.. lol. perhaps your church or god or whoever should teach you social skills.

You seem quite insecure and defensive about your beliefs

• Christian to be exact

• Theist.

Ok... In response to your update:

I consider myself very fortunate that I was brought up in a believing family and household.

After that, it's all a matter of your own belief and faith and education.

• Orthodox

• Orthodox Christian.

Why? Because it's the only legitimate sect of Christianity.

that's very open of you, considering the Bible was pretty doctored.

• I'm an Agnostic Atheist. My stance is there is no god, but I also believe that it's possible for a god to exist. I have just never seen enough evidence.

• I'm an athiest. Never understood the point of the word agnostic since nobody can be sure, surely everyone is agnostic

the difference is that atheists ARE sure that there is no god

They're on a different scale. God could be one of infinite different ideas, the flying spaghetti monster is one specific idea because it has a specific description. If you imagine a venn diagram, with it all being the chance there's no god escept for a tiny circle that says there is god, one point (one infinity-th) of that circle would be the christian god

why THAT one?

and how is that one not a specific one either anyway? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh

• theism or any other form of worshipping another is unhealthy for your mental well being

then again it does take a certain mental state to actually believe there is a man in the sky lol

Theism is not a form of worshiping another

All it requires is a line of thinking that is slightly different to yours

it is the exact definition hun

• im an agnostic jew. i question the existence of god, but i follow the jewish religion. and i take the bible with a grain of salt. the bible says its ok to have slaves, but, it also says to honor thy father and mother

What Girls Said 12

• Theist.
    I'm a religious Muslim.

• Theist

• More on the agnostic end.

• I'm an atheist.

• An atheist isn't someone who believes there is no god. An atheist is someone who LACKS THE BELIEF that there is a god. This is a common misconception, but it makes a huge difference.

Well it depends how you look at it.
      By the strict definition that's what it means yes, but colloquially it can mean otherwise.

• I love being a atheist.

• Deist/Pantheist

• I am an atheist.

• Atheist, although I believe in literally everything else

• Guys are more likely to not believe in god

@zoooot I Was gonna get mad at you for insulting theism but then I realised you were insulting feminists too so I'll let you off

if you want to get mad, by all means feel free, dont let me stop you

it won't affect me, i promise

• Atheist!!

• I'm a non-theist.