What do you think of prison?

Orginally the penitentiary was designed to be, obviously, a place of penitance. A place where criminals could go to reflect on there crimes and return as better people. But I hate what prison is today. Today, having a felony can be detrimental to someones standing in society. Good people get felonies too, and good people go to jail and prison. But I think prison is just an enforcement of punishment for disobediance, NOT primarily to punish people for misbehavior. Just think, if you go to prison it can RUIN your LIFE. And people have been brainwashed into thinking that LEGAL means GOOD. Yes the laws seem to be in the best interest of the people but in reality, any and every one of us are only under the control of law, not always being protected by it. And before you think I only say this because I have been personally affected by breaking the law, Im a model citizen. I have never broken one law, been to jail, probation... heck I have never even had detention. But I feel it is the way society has been brainwashed to feel threatened by every criminal and a need to lock them up like animals and take away their freedom. That is sick and inhumane. What upsets me though, is that I want to think of a solution but I can't. Not when everyone is against my ideas. But I think sentenci g someone to a life behind bars or even to bd killed is cucking disgustingand anyone who thinks that every criminal "deserves" it is a part of the bigger problem.

Most Helpful Guy

• Not all punishment is prison. Prison is primarily for felonies. Misdemeanors sometimes have small prison time too (like a month). Lighter punishments include fines, home confinement, and probation and even ACOD (Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal.) Also, there is disenfranchisement. So, there is a spectrum of punishments and punishments should fit the crime. If not, then the convict should file a writ of certiorari (I could be wrong on the type of writ) that his 8th Amendment rights were violated.

That said, some prisons are needed not as punishment or as a penitentiary, per se, but simply as a way to protect society from that felon ever possibly repeating his crime. Google Typhoid Mary.

Most Helpful Girl

• Um no. If you made the choice to break the law you do deserve it. As someone who has broken the law I would have deserved anything that I got. As someone who has been arrested twice... it was my choices, my actions that put me there. That fault is on me, not society. There are few people who really are innocent. Very few. And what are you talking about? Prison is a vacation. 3 meals a day, a bed to sleep in, you get to work out, TV. You get free medical care that freakin veterans can't even get because they can't get into the VA. If anything needs to be done, its stop housing people on death row for 20 years. Put them to death. Put child molesters, child abusers to death. That will free up some space. Make it an actual punishment so that people are feaeful of going and not just going so that they can be hard.

What Guys Said 2

• I think it depends on the crime. I agree that good people do stupid things that could potential send them to jail like (fail to appear in court, or for DUIs and for getting into fights defending their kids, girlfriend, family) but for the most part people that go to jail are people who deserve to go. Jail is suppose to "ruin your life" so you don't want to risk doing something deemed illegal.

• Either execute them.. or significantly reduce maximum sentences.

Crime would be reduced if EVERY criminal went to prison for EVERY crime. No plea bargains... you are gone!

BUT... make the maximum sentence 5 years, unless they commit certain crimes, which would lead to immediate execution.

Even one year in prison is a nightmare. If it is assured everyone who commits a crime WILL go to prison, it will make people think otherwise.

What Girls Said 2

• I Would Never Want To Go At All Its Toooo Scary And You Might Get Killed.

• Nothing since I would never go to one