Is it weird for a non japanes guy to watch anime?

I heard that people say that if you watch anime then you are weird for watching it. Is that true? Do you see them wierd?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 13

• Not weird at all as I have grew up watching anime. People just don't seem to realized that most of the so-called cartoons they watched in whatever dubbed language they know, has more and likely got made in where? Japan. Examples are these:

My favorite Biblical shows such as Superbook (1980's) was made in Japan, until TBS had gain the license for it and Dubbed it in English and other languages. The same thing with The Flying House, also produced by the same company who made Superbook. My dad's favorite show from childhood was called Battle of the Planets, which became very westernize and many plot elements, character names, personality, tone, etc was changed to fit to attract viewers. However the original title was called: Science Ninja Team Gatchaman. And these are only just an example.

So all these people have no idea that most of their favorite shows actually came from other countries. And in Japan, anime is short for animation. And Animation is widely viewed as every cartoon ever made from every country. Therefore Americanize shows were used to watching is still considered Anime in Japan. Your favorite Looney Toons? Guess what? Anime. Tom & Jerry? Anime. Scobby Doo? Anime. The Magic School Bus, you guess it. Anime. So everybody watches anime and don't even know it.

Overall Anime depending on the story, characters, plot line and genre can be far more realistic than any American cartoon or live TV show other than the news I have ever watched.

• No, it's not.

• Nah, it's hugely popular so I wouldn't worry. For me though, I find it a bit strange

• No, it's not. Anime is a popular worldwide trend.

• Of course not!!! I used to watch Attack On Titan but it made me cry and my mom made fun of it so I took a break :P XD

• Totally weird.

• Not weird at all. I used to watch a ton of anime back in the day and I'm not Japnaese either. Thats why they make dub versions or put English subtitles. Many people of all backgrounds can enjoy the content.

• No I'm afro-american and I watch it when I'm interested

• You've clearly never been to an anime convention 😄 #Otaku Nation

• No, it is not weird.

• No, not weird.

• No lol watch what you want

• ofc not! I'm American and i watch anime all the time.

What Guys Said 9

• Never heard of it.
    That's like saying if you aren't Japanese you can't have sushi , or if you aren't German you can't have bratwursts. Small minded people.

• It's not weird in the least. People just like a good story

It gets weird (aka weeaboo-ish) when people start putting Japanese words in their normal every day speech (For example: "What a kawaii-desu morning.") Not only does it sound stupid because it's not all one language, it sounds stupid because it's usually pronounced wrong

People try to learn Japanese from the anime they watch, which is bullshit

@Kylesar Can absolutely agree. You can learn some things in the shows and manga, but not everything is the actual way of properly speaking it. A perfect example is knowing when to use polite structure, a formal structure or an informal structure when you conjugate verbs and using な {Na} or い {I} [pronounced 'Eee' adjectives. Unless you actually learn the language through dedication other than to watch anime, it becomes useless.

• Watching anime has never been weird.

Obsessing over it and Japanese popular culture makes you a weeaboo.

• It's cultural appropriation and you should cease and desist immediately!

• no, not at all

• nah its cool.

• You're not weird until you go all in and claim to be knowledgeable about Japanese culture based on the shows you watch.

• No not at all.

• Japanese cartoons are the best cartoons.