Can a rare name makes you "popular"?

My best friend's name is Albert and in high school, a LOT of people knows him. People from grades higher, lower, etc. Even people he hasn't talked to yet... I mean, how can a nerd who isn't considered as famous... be known by a lot of people from other grades he has never talked to? Like we once were going to our class room then somebody said "Hey Albert" (somebody both of us don't even know).

We find that weird. Actually, he is almost never tagged on photos (on Social Networking sites), he doesn't talk to a lot of people on social medias (and in real life), and people aren't making rumors of him (well at least I don't think so because at school I never heard any rumor about him and on Twitter, nobody ever said a rumor).

So can a name makes you "popular"? And why does it?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it does. During my high school years I met some people who had rare names and everybody knew who they were.
    Since their name is unusual, it's easy to be known.

Most Helpful Guy

• Definitely especially if it sounds unique and we got a saying that you take traits from your name

What Girls Said 3

• I just switched schools and literally after a week everyone knew my name, and I'm shy! I talked to like one person!

• Yes I Think It Can😀😊😎👍👍👍

• I have a rareish name. Not rare but not super common. I don't think it makes you more popular haha

Well by popular I mean "more known". Like my friend isn't so outgoing, he doesn't talk to a lot of people, etc... but however, a LOT of people from other grades know him (which is weird) and we don't even know them. ;)

What Guys Said 3

• I have reasonably rare name. In my school of about 1500, I'd say almost everyone in my year knows my name, even if I have no idea who they are. Sometimes you're just walking along and you hear some guy go "Oh hey it's Doffydood!". And I have no idea who they are. Weird ;-;
    I don't think it makes you popular, just a bit more well known.

Yeah I should have said "more known" instead of popular! ;) But yeah I know that's strange because we don't even know who those people are (those who sometimes says "Hey it's Albert"). And we're around 900 students and a LOT of people from every grades know him... which is strange lol.

But thanks for your answer btw! :)

Not a problem :)

• Nope

• Eh not really id anything it can make you more unpopular.