Is looking younger than you are a gift or a curse?

I went to buy beer today without my I. d. I could feel the clerk staring at my face trying to tell if I am over the alcoholic age. He asked me for my I. d. I told him I do not have it with me, I am 30. He replied "What?" In disbelief. I told him i am 30 years old born in 1986. He said I didn't look 30 and didn't sell it to me.
It's great looking younger but also a curse when you want to get tipsy but can't lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have a girl here that wanted me to guess her age, I flatly refused & she insisted away so I guess appx 25 odd then she proudly announced "I'm 35 with a 10 yo son" she thinks no one takes her seriously cause she looks much younger (she manages a large team & is good with it where her team respects her a lot). Guess the other side of the fence is always greener cause trying to convince her that generally women would kill to be in her shoes

I'd say it's a gift. End of the day persona has nothing to do with how young you look

Most Helpful Girl

• I look like I am 16 but I am actually a lot older and I don't really care. I some times dress like I'm 16 too, I'm 5'3 and I have a body weight of 108. I can pull off skinny jeans and a t shirt like I'm 16. I think it's pretty awesome but then I feel like people are judging me because I'm supposed to look like a mom of 2 and a stay at home wife. Am i supposed to be dressed in baggy dresses and messy hair with no make up on all the time? I don't care... and even if I did dress like that I still look younger than my age.

What Guys Said 71

• I think it is a bit of both. Like if you are 50 years old but look like you are 30, that would be a blessing. If you are 25 but look 14, that is generally a curse. It really is a trade off.

If I had to pick one or the other though, I'd say it was a curse. There's nothing really quite wrong with looking someone's age in my opinion, and I personally would rather look better in my younger-ish years than look better in my older years. I guess it is ultimately up to personal preference though.

• As long as you don't look so young you look like a child, then you're good.

Also, from what I can tell from your profile, you just look like an ass.

• Well if you know you look young then you need to bring your id with you. I'd say for women it will always be a blessing Looking young is good. For men it's a blessing but a curse because women want a mature man. So if you are 30 but look 16 then a lot of women wouldn't be interested.

Could you answer a question.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2112691-was-i-wrong-to-ask-for-the-money-back

People tell me I look younger.
      Anywhere from 19-22. But for some reason I refuse to believe any one and stand behind looking 30.

• My girlfriend got ID'd at the ball game the other week. She's 34, or nearly double the legal drinking age. She was annoyed and flattered in equal measure (because she had to come back to get her drivers licence)

I had a co-worker the same age but who was extremely petite and young looking, she'd tell you it was a curse.

• It's a curse, honestly.. No one takes you seriously until you throw a punch and it's a blessing cause if you get into trouble they let you go saying "No, he's innocent. Look at him he can never do such a thing"
    But it's more of a curse than a blessing

• As a younger person it's a huge curse.
    But as you age it'll become more of a blessing.
    But yeah I'm the same and it really sucks right now. I'm the most worried about getting respect in my career once I enter it.

• Youth is always a gift. Always. There's no cons to it in my opinion.

• Just take your ID lol

• I guess you're at an awkward age where it's good and bad , but for me I wouldn't mind now, I stopped getting ID checked when I was about 35 so enjoy it while you can

• For a girl it's probably a gift :D
    I've always had a beard since without I look a lot younger than I am :o

• Lol I just go to places that know me so they don't ask 😝
    I'm unsure. People will say oh you look younger. Then I'm like is that a compliment Orr what? Lol

• Don't know, don't care. I do find it weird that I'm 23 and people still think that I look 17 even when I had a beard (too lazy to shave) and considering I'm 6'3/6'4/6'5, 190lbs

• It's a good thing, especially since the only negative thing I can think of is getting asked for ID.

• I'm not sure it is a blessing because sometimes looking a bit older is even sexier than looking younger. Youth is not synonymous with sexiness. I like the appearance of a 30 year old woman :)

Ah, well I don't look 30 so I guess u don't like me? lol

I think that really happens once a woman reaches 40+ because she's at a middle age stage and her looks have gradually began to disappear.
      I have no wrinkles, no gray hair, and the same physique I had at 19

All the more reason why I am so attracted to you 😘

• It was a curse when I was younger because it was annoying getting proofed.

However, since I'm now pushing 40, I view it as a gift :)

• Its generally good for girls but bad for guys.

• A gift

• When they recognize you, you don't need your id. I have bought beer a dozen times and i am yet to turn 21 lol.
    Guess its easier for guys. Facial hair helps.

• Curse when you're younger, gift when you're older. All the men will be looking saggy and shit, and you'll be looking 42, 45 tops lol
    I suffer the same problem by the way. Many people presume Im much younger.

• I think if the only set back is remembering your ID, I'm pretty positive the grass is greener on your side

• Most women that are 30 would feel GREAT to be carded since they look young. Seriously I don't think I ever go anywhere without my license. Just take it aas a lesson learned.

I felt flattered and annoyed at the same time.
      I live in NYC and most of these stores don't ID you.
      If you go to Manhattan you're more likely to be IDed than in Brooklyn (depending on the neighborhood you are in).

• I look older and it works to my benefit most of the time. Seems beneficial for a women but detrementimental to a man.

• It's a blessing!!! Despite the id thing!

• I see it as a compliment, i am 33 and still get carded. Trust me on this, its inconvenient now, but later it will be a disappointment when they stop.

• Overall it is a gift... just don't forget your ID!

• I'm 45 , someone said I'm " in early 30's " ... chuffed with that , all the stress I've been under the last few years , I should look 65 !!

• Depends on on your age, when your in high school looking younger seems bad and looking older is good, while when your in your 30s and older, looking younger seems good and looking older is bad

• I keep getting told I look like late 20's.

Doesn't matter much to me though. Nothing in my youth benefited me, so I wouldn't know.

• I look 20 and I am 24, but I always and always looked 4 years younger than I am, I think it's fine

• More from Guys
    41

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 46

• I think it can be both. Like you say, it's annoying if you can't get alcohol not because you are underage, but because you LOOK underage; but then it'd probably be cool to still look 20 when you're actually 30.

When I was 14, some people who didn't know this thought I was 16. It irritated me how people thought I looked OLDER than I was, and creeped me out in ways since I'd get hit on by guys who looked to be in their mid-twenties or something.

When I turned 18 though, people STILL seemed to think I was 16 if they didn't know otherwise. Now that I'm 19, I get told I look 17 a lot. People in my last college course thought I was 17 until I said. Even one of my closest friends from that course said she would never have guessed I was 19. My boyfriend is 2 years younger than me and actually said himself once "It's weird, I know you're older than me but you actually look like you're my age". Even my uncles friend was surprised when someone mentioned I was 19, just turned to me like "Wait, you're 19? I thought you were 17". I just take it as a compliment :) I see it as a good thing.

One annoying thing though, is that I still don't have ID and the woman in the pub seemed unsure about serving me once, when I went there without makeup on.

• Being carded is a tiny price you have to pay for looking young. Looking young is so great!

• It depends. I am 30 as well (another 1986 baby) and I still get ID'd. It can be flattering because here the legal age to buy alcohol is 19. Obviously I don't look 19, but I must look young enough for them to ID me. I heard they have to ID for at least up to 25. So maybe I look about 25.

On the otherhand, sometimes I don't have my ID with me. At times I just grab cash and then go buy something, and it's irritating to get denied buying something when I've been legal age for most things for 12 years and 11 years for alcohol.

• It depends what age you are. Younger than 30... curse.

Over 30... gift. You just have to wait.

• Good in some respects, bad in others.
    Bad: young boys hit on you mostly, or old guys who think they're trying to molest a teenager, can't buy alcohol without ID, realters don't take you seriously, job interviewers don't acknowledge you and don't take your job experience as real as they do older looking people...

Good: you'll look better in 20 years than most of your peers.

• I think it's a gift, I'd much rather look younger than my actual age than look older. Also, getting carded isn't that serious in some cases. At my job people who are obviously elderly still get carded because if we don't execute the transaction without checking I. D. we'll lose our license to sell alcohol and we'll screw everything up for the other stores in the plaza. Also some places say ask for I. D. if they look below 60 or 55, it doesn't always mean the person looks young.

I know it doesn't mean the person always looks young. I was told as a customer service employee ask anyone under 40 for ID.
      But the fact that he kept staring at my face tells me he thought I was younger than 30.
      The same thing happened to me when I was denied alcohol a month ago at another liquor store.
      I told the guy I was 30, he sold it to me, and told me I looked like a baby.

Do u think looking younger as to do with your small body structure or your face?

My face. I have large breasts and my body being so small makes them seem even larger. My breasts give away that I'm not that young but if they were small, combined with my height and face I would look even younger.

• I've been refused alcohol/knives a few times before.
    The last time was when I went to buy my mother a bottle of wine, I didn't have any ID when the lady asked, and when I asked her how old she thought was, she was like "about 14/16" I was pretty stunned, especially as I worked with her in that store as a Christmas job a couple of years ago.

Still, I'll be glad of it when I'm older I'm sure!

• A bit of both honestly, I like looking young plus when I ll be older it ll be really cool (my mother look 35 and she's in her early 50) but sometime it's boring I'm 19 and look like a 14 - 15 girl so only high school boy hit on me it's embarrassing. When I ask them their age and they said I'm 16 I'm like oh you know I'm near to be 20.
    Men in their 20 prefer sexy women with curves and I'm skinny with just a bit of curves so having a baby face and the body of a 14 years old middle school girl are not the ideal for dating.

• When the legal age to buy cigarettes was still 18 I was always accused of having a fake id because I only look 14 😞😞
    It'll be a gift as we get older though ✊🏻

• It can be a curse but the way I see it, one day I will be loving the compliments on how young I look. Im 24 but look the same (aside from my hair) as I did at 16. I am always carded! Buy a horror movie, they want ID, buy a pack of smokes, they want ID and if Im trying to get into a concert, they want that damn ID!

• It's a curse at first... but once you hit about 30+ it's probably a gift.

• Or you could just keep your I'd in your wallet like everyone else.

• People in the gym think I am 15 and tell me I shouldn t lift lol.
    Anw now it s meh
    When you get older it s better

• I'm 21 but I look like I'm a 16 year old, haha. My height is a main factor to this.. :P I don't drink often, but when I do I HAVE to have my ID on me. lol.

• You aren't going to get any honest answers because 99% of people don't look young.

If you are above 50 - I'm sure looking young is positive. But in your 20s and 30s it absolutely is not. Anyone who actually looks young knows this. Look at the example you gave- by the time you are 30 you should be able to buy alcohol without an ID.

No one talks about how people speak to people who they perceive as younger than them.

• It's definitely both. I get carded for everything lol. Had someone ask me if I was a junior or senior this year. It's nice to look younger until people don't take you seriously because of it.

• I think it depends on the situation.
    I had people asking me if I was underage when I was 21. It was good.
    But sometimes when you want to do something that only "adults" are allowed to do, it's a curse lol

• lol it can be both a gift/curse

• It's better to look younger than you are. Just don't forget your ID.

• Both. I'm old compared to most. I get hit on by young guys all the time. I tell them my age and they don't seem to mind and still pursue as 'you don't look your age' but the fact is I am and that won't change.

Looks is not an age, age is an age. And with age comes life experience, maturity, differences in needs n wants and timeline.

But in saying that I'm not into dudes my age. They look old haha.

• I'm 23 and get mistaken for a middle schooler. I was walking by my old school and a cop asked me why I ditched and I just looked at him like he was a complete idiot

• Well when you're old it will be an advantage. Like when you're 80 maybe you'll look 60 (; lol I'm 19 and one girl thought I was 15. It bothers me but oh well haha

• You drove without your I. D. on you? Tsk tsk tsk

• When I was younger I thought it was a curse for the same reason you just gave. Now at my age I would say it's a blessing.

• It's a curse when you are young, gift when you are old.
    I get you, dude... I understand your struggles.
    Looking younger is a VERY common trait in my family.

• 100% curse. I look like my high school students and guys think I'm like 17 or 18 and I'm 26. Makes it hard to date and be taken seriously as a professional.

• When you're my age, if you're still getting carded, you'll be bragging to your friends;) I do.

• it kinda annoys me bc I'm 33 and people think I'm a kid.

• I dislike it. I look twelve but still already am getting forehead wrinkles... I can barely go out with someone else'/ id because they'll stop me anyway.

• I would have to say it's both.

• More from Girls
    16