How do you become more intelligent?

Please don't be dicks or make any rude coments. I'm actually really dense, I have such a hard time understanding even the most basic concepts, and I really want to become better at it. I'd like to become a quicker thinker and be able to figure things out on my own without anyone else's help.

2mo Bump
2mo 😊😊
2mo klsgipwpoger
2mo 🤔🤔🤔

Most Helpful Guy

• you have to actually devote time to thinking. like anything, it's work. it would feel like manually adding two big numbers together in your head. einstein said himself that if you're willing to think, then you'll be able to grasp the concept of the the theory of relativity along with spacetime.

but you have to be willing to think on your own, without assistance. and you'd have to practice to get better. a good example is explaining (to yourself) how airplanes fly based on only what you currently know.

Most Helpful Girl

• Be curious and always ask "why"?
    Do not think that you are always right, but look at yourself from another angle and you may find out what other people think. Read books and writings of philosophers.
    What about quick thinking, you should exercise in brainstorming.
    Debates are another ways to become more aware of yourself and outside world. I can show you good site, where you will read pros and cons of many topics and you should also think about your own opinions about such things :
    http://idebate.org
    One more thing, don't judge others, that's one more sign of high intelligence and wisdom.

Thanks 😊

You are welcome and one more thing, try to communicate with people who are intelligent, you'll learn many from them.
      If you are ok in maths then you should definitely do some quick exercises in it cause It will make your thinking process hard.
      And last one, aim big goals, cause when you aim to go to the space at least you reach the sky :)
      Wish you success, friend, decent goal.

not *hard* but *fast* lol

What Guys Said 77

• Self reflection and questioning. Basicly asking why and not giving up until you have the answers. Figuring out how things fit together takes time but it also takes information, so reading and learning new things in general will help you build up new neural pathways and the more you learn and the more information you get the easier it will be to start figuring out those puzzle pieces which in turn will help build more neural connections. Its all about creative thinking and creative solutions. However it takes time and dedication, you have to really try really put forth the effort and not give up. Start with something small and work your way up to something more complicated. Personally I find that most people who are "dense" as you call it are really a combination of things which are generally lazy thinkers (they don't want to think it through because its to much effort) not curious enough to apply their brain thus causing it to never fully develop (its like a muscle you need to work it out otherwise it will deteriorate) unwilling to let go of their own preconceptions (you will be wrong and you are currently wrong about something so intelligence is the acceptance of this fact and the ability to let something go when evidence shows it to be false). So keeping that in mind read study when you have free time think about things even things that have no answers, like I said its about effort just like with physical fitness you have to train yourself with intent, that is set goals you may never be able to reach and keep pushing until your close then move that goal post further. Its called deliberate practice and studies have shown that when done you can push yourself really far, in fact they have shown that most of the "greats" of business or athletes did this (usually taking about ten years of deliberate practice) like Michael Jordan who was so bad at basketball he got kicked off his highschool team then ten years later he was known as the greatest basket ball player that ever lived, same goes with many athletes and many businessmen. Also never be afraid to ask questions or look stupid because while some one may look down on you for it, the fact is you just got a little smarter while they staid the same, "better to ask and look a fool for a moment then remain silent and be a fool forever".

Thanks 😊, that's very helpful

Not a problem! Its a long and difficult road but, at least for me, quite fulfilling. Just put in the effort and like everything else you will start to get results, slowly at first but it will happen and it will start to increase from their at a much more noticeable rate. Good luck!

• There is hope, but you really need to understand that like most anything worthwhile it will take a lot of work. So if you are willing to put in the work, you can in fact expand your mental horizons. To help you with this though I would recommend a progressive approach which will then build on itself. To this end you might look into a web site for Luminosity. This site is comprised of a little games which train your brain, much in the way you have indicated, as you progress through these exercises, you can then explore different subjects.

As I was writing this comment and reviewing what you wrote it occurred to me that perhaps, what you were suggesting was that you want to improve your skill level in a particular subject. If that happens to be the case, you can improve your skill in that too, however just know that there are some subjects that you just might be poorly suited to, not because you did something wrong or anything like that, just because that is how things shake out. I am really pretty good at writing so that is where my skill lies and while I did improve some of my math skills, I did hit a plateau with more advanced math subjects, such as calculus (not a fan) anyway all I'm trying to say is there are just some people who understand say math, or chemistry easier than others and that is okay.

• first step: have more confidence and stop thinking that you are stupid especially when you don't understand things. don't be scared to ask questions. I see this very common especially in class situations. Girls are WAY too scared to ask questions cause they are scared their questions will make them think they r stupid. Very rarely in my 4 years in university have i seen a girl raising her hands to ask a question about something she didn't understand. I talked to girls a lot from there and they all tell me they don't understand certain things and are too afraid to ask questions.

Here's something interesting, asking a lot of questions is a sign of smartness and intelligence. I ask a lot of questions in class. i like to make sure i understand everything. Even if it was infront of the whole class i really don't care. Some of my questions even made the class laugh at how silly they were, so what? i just laugh it off with them but still want to know the answer to it. Many people thought i was less smart but then get really surprised when they find out how i know a lot more than they know and i can just put them in my pocket. You know why? because all my life i grew up asking a lot of questions, and guess what, those questions give u answers. So i ended up knowing a lot of things in life just because of my questions.

If you always hide and never ask questions, u'l never progress.

that's ur first and 2nd step and they r the most important things for u to get smarter. Because u will lose the fear of feeling stupid.

• Find some really smart, nerdy friends!! Nerds are the BEST!! They know stuff, and if you have computer things, they just KNOW what to do!!
    I met a few in college, and they changed me!! I'm almost believing that I am smart, now, just hanging with them, and doing 'nerd' stuff!!
    The people you spend time with affect your mental development!! These guys challenged me to be what I knew I was, and be OK with being 'SMART'!! I kind of hid it, for a long time, trying to fit in, in High School, but in College, when I met these guys, it was like a NEW WORLD!!
    Suddenly, I was confident enough to work on my car, and I learned about computers, and programming, and all kinds of things I never imagined I would be interested in!!
    I think I have the degrees that I have, because of those friends!! They made me want to be better than the others I knew!!

• reading and research is the simplest way. go to a library. check out a reference section. you can also do activities to improve your brain's ability to figure out certain things. there are apps, books, and websites that offer exercises to improve brain function

• Well, there is no well defined formula for becoming more intelligent. However more knowledge and experience that much intelligent you will become over time. You can become more intelligent, by reading, by observing and talking to people who are more mature and experienced than you and so on.

• You just turn it into something you naturally do. Be inquisitive, try to gain an interest in new things and think through how they work. Think a lot and try to break things done. It'll help you overall and not, people presumed I was more experienced in dating when i wasn't because I knew how to act and what to do and not do and how it would be interpreted.

This itself is a small step that makes a big difference. Just begin processing things, process your mistakes... but better yet, think before you act

• EVERYTHING YOU SHOW MUST BE VISUALLY PROVABLE IF NOT ITS WORTHLESS

ill give you an example i believe in the bible and GOD
    the bible talks about giants

so i need visual of a giant skeleton
    and a depiction of how big they where in the past as a reference

so this is a depiction of an eygptian giant
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...f4d542332c.jpg

and this is the skeleton
    It was 12 ft 2 in (3.71 m) tall, weighed 2 tonnes, and had 6 toes on its right foot. After being exhibited in Dublin, it was brought to England and exhibited in Liverpool and Manchester at sixpence a head, 'attracting scientific men as well as gaping sightseers
    www.6000years.org/graphics/irish%20giant.jpg

we can bring something a little smaller
    10 foot tall female
    www.sott.net/.../giant_mound_builder.jpg

AND ALWAYS TEST EVERYTHING YOU HEAR EVEN FROM ME OR ANYONE ELSE

THAT'S WHAT GOD TOLD ME TO DO

• Most people here are talking nonsense. Reading novels and whatnot will not change much. Yes, you train your brain a bit but there will still be a limit to it.

Reality is that curiousity and thirst for knowledge is key for intelligence. Aka if you really want to aquire knowledge and insight to things it will become easier, because it isn't forced, but a natural interest of yours.

• I'm afraid your IQ won't change a lot once you're adult.
    Start with a good IQ and store more background information about the world in your brain (by learning all the time) Thus remember many informations you pickup just looking everywhere. A combination of logical thinking and background information permits to easily establish links and see the why and how of things.

Thanks 😊

in my opinion everyone is born with some IQ potential and education, culture , scholing and personality will determine if he/she develops his IQ to the maximum or ends at the bottom limit.

Edit schooling*

• Depending on how you define intelligence, I dont think you can. From what I understand, intelligence refers to how efficient/quick your brain is at processing and retaining information, kinda like a processor in a computer. You can gain more knowledge and become smarter but I don't think you can increase your processing power beyond your genetic limitations.

• Watch American news.

It won't actually make you any smarter, but you'll feel a whole lot better about your intelligence afterwards.

• Read lots of books and do brain exercises like puzzles and riddles, follow instructions a lot and solve mathematical equation. Basically treat yourself like you are actually at school.

Another important part of maintaining and growing a smart and healthy mind is to be physically active. Exercise 4-5 hours per week preferably by doing a sport. Just running or going to the gym doesn't really stimulate the mind like playing a sport.
    But be careful what sport. Don't choose sports where you can get head injuries easily do obviously stay away from sports like boxing, American football and rugby.
    Go things like tennis, squash, soccer etc

• While there is certainly an inherited aspect to intelligence, most of it comes through practice. People that you see as intelligent have either practised the skills you're seeing subconsciously, or through real effort. You're never going to be the blanket term 'smart.' No one is. The things that come naturally to you are things that you've practiced unconsciously. To become more intelligent at other things, you'll just have to practice. A good example of this is computer coding. No one is born good at it, yet there are still coding geniuses. They are the people who have spent thousands of hours mastering the skill, as well as all the skills that lead up to it (many likely unconsciously).
    Just go into everything intending to learn, and you'll come out more intelligent.

• Learn a few new things. Pick a language that's difficult to understand like Chinese or Russian. Learn how to code, take a few math classes. Heck just start reading a lot of books. You can get a ton of classics on Amazon Kindle.

You can take free College courses on edx. Just spend time studying a few new things make your mind into a sponge so it sucks up everything. Basically you will have to fail and struggle with some of these things. Especially learning a new language. But you will grow and become more intelligent.

• IQ games and puzzles are the best.. they develop quicker and out of the box thinking.. Try Time Turner and Tricky Test 2 on the play store.. These are awesome puzzles which will definitely help you though a little difficult.. If you get stuck anywhere feel free to message me..
    Also there is an app called Curiosity.. Its a wonderful app with interesting Triva check that out too..
    Hope it helps

• Intelligence is a genetically inherited trait, so it's pretty much either there or it isn't.

Then again, maybe you just need to learn how intelligent people think, which is that they take all variables into account and don't skip steps between A and B.

• Depends on the are of intelligence, reason being, a person can be smart in one way yet lack knowledge in another way. To become smarter with say mathematics or problem solving, youd have to do plenty of practice, lots of grind work. More intelligence in knowledge, youd need to do as much research on things as possible and practice memorization skills to help you retain the information you learned. To become street smart, study on that and learn from experiences and ask others of their experiences, etc.. Some thing you habe to have a knack for but for the most part it takes repitition, study, practice and patience.

• I have noticed the more i critique myself, and the more i explore ideas, even if they reach a dead end the more i absorb and come to a decision upon.

• Books will help, learning a new craft, like me I learned how to make an electric guitar and it made more more knowledgeable about many things since. Learn from science books and learn how to create or be creative.

• Don't worry people who make fun of this question are the dumb ones, lots of things can make you smarter like learning new things, musical instruments for one, reading, read lots of everything you can find. And sometimes being by yourself and just thinking helps too

• Read. Books. Articles. Anything. Just read. A lot. Reading will help.

• The only thing that I can say I have done to become more intelligent is cramming algebra 2 into a week (I homeschooled and I am a massive procrastinator) . I was already above average but I think forcing your brain to do a lot of math that involves thought (ie not just arithmetic) in a short period of time causes your brain to get better at it. (though I don't know if it made me smarter or just better at math.) Sadly a lot of iq is predestined and decided in early childhood so not a lot you can do later in life.

• There's no substitute other than clocking in the hours. Big thinkers think about this shit all day long, while sleeping... all day. Athletes can only be the best at something by doing it everyday for hours. Don't skip more than 3 days in a row of nothing

• Read stuff! Do stuff!

Read about things that interest you, do things that interest you. Experience as much as you can.

• Read a book like sherlock holmes, any mystery and case solving stuff. Play chess or any strategy game and think before you speak and act.

• There are a few tricks, the mind is a muscle that if challenged will grow. Read
    Do puzzles
    explore new ideas

• Practice memorizing numbers such as Social Sec, Count backwards from
    10 9 8 7 6 this helps to make us more intelligent also get more sleep
    eat healthy diet, take vitamins as needed , fish helps the memory this
    elderly woman always ate Tuna fish and called it Brain food but she
    went out all the time to dances and was in her 70's.

• Let's define "equation"

"a statement that the values of two mathematical expressions are equal (indicated by the sign =). "

If the statement seems to complicated, the first thing you should confirm is:

1) Do i understand all the terms/words/verb expressed in the statement?

If you don't you should investigate all of them until you finally understand the sentence, then

2) Do i understand what it means?

If you still can't understand, lots of example should help, and look for experienced people in the topic.

What's next?

There more you practice something the better you become at it.

• More from Guys
    47

What Girls Said 29

• First of all, you can't know everything about everything in the whole world.
    Second of all, choose what excites you.
    For me, it is human nature and God. As for my husband, it's anything computer and cyber related, he will study it and find all he can to excel at it.
    A person who is extremely knowledgeable about cars might not be knowledgeable about money. I might be really knowledgeable about child rearing and God, but know nothing about building a house.
    When you really want to know something, you talk about it, you think about it, and you ask questions and seek it out.

• Read not just 8th grade level books you can read books that have high vocabulary. Be open about learning, watch documentaries. But you should also figure what kind of learner you are and that could be the problem. Maybe you're a visual learner or a hands on learner. There is a quiz oh can take to see what kind of learner you are. Just look on the internet for that quiz.

• Doing brain exercises helped me a bit. Stuff like reading, doing puzzles, stroop test, math, really anything where you have to actively use your brain. You have to exercise your brain everyday and you will become more sharp. If you have a DS get the game Brain Age, it helped me a lot. Challenge yourself often, do some research on things that are interesting to you. Practice your memory, learn a new language or an instrument. Get adequate sleep and drink enough water. Try to eat as healthy as possible, added sugars and artificial, processed foods decreases brain function. I heard using your non-dominant hand to do things such as brushing your teeth may improve brain health. Also don't always do the same things, the more variety of exercises (brain and body) the better. Socializing often also helps. Listening to music while exercising has been linked to improved cognitive function as well.

Also have you gotten tested for a vitamin deficiency?

You're very welcome! I'd recommend getting a blood test to check for vitamin deficiency. Before I knew I was deficient, my brain felt very foggy and I was a much slower thinker.

I haven't had one, I do sort of feel foggy, slow and tired a lot so maybe it is that.

• -Read.
    -Take an interest in various topics that effect all corners of the world.
    -Reject intellectual superficiality.
    -Test your mind with puzzles.
    -Test your mind with random geographical, political, historical, and other types of facts or math problems just to refresh yourself.
    -Perceive things with a neutral perspective and collect little bits of knowledge by simply being quite and observing/allowing people to reveal themselves and their thoughts to you bit by bit

• Stay in school, get a tutor. Get tested for learning disabilities. Spend your time on things that work your mind ss opposed to passive Hobbes like watching tv. read books. Just like working out to enhance your muscles, do brain excercises to work your mind.

• in my opinion, the only way to be a smarter Person is to:
    1. read tons of books on tons of different subjects. Try the app "blinkist". For 3 days you can read unlimited summaries of non-fiction books, then after that, you get one book suggestion per day. They also have audiobooks and they all last only like 12 or 14 minutes. That way you learn a tiny bit every day, even about topics you usually don't choose to read.
    2. if you. can afford it, go travelling to other countries or other cultures and subcultures in your own country. Try to talk with as man y people as possible from all walks of life. Young, old, black, white, and everything in between. All occupations. Ask them questions and listen. This will broaden your horizon.

• The best thing to do is study. Every time we begin something new, it's hard. We feel lost. If you practice it, you'll get better. Reading helps to expand the vocabulary. Brain games and trivia expand knowledge. If I were you, I would start with reading the business/marketplace section of a reputable newspaper every day. Maybe WSJ? Don't feel down. It's true that each person is born with certain capabilities, but most people are born within a normal range. Have confidence and work hard. I promise you'll get better.
    If you need some inspiration, red Ben Carson's biography or book Gifted Hands. He didn't like school and was heading in the wrong direction. His mother, who couldn't read herself, forced him to read a book and write a book report for her every week. Now, he is one of the most successful surgeons to ever live. Inspiring!

I have heard of Ben Carson. His life is very inspirating. Thanks 😊

• Take a class on critical thinking. Read more. Even the boring shit. Look things up and learn how things work. Look up biographies on people who invented them. Look up histories on old tv shows and movies. Look up stuff on the actors in the shows. Look up info on the place they lived. There's so much to learn and so many random facts out there that you find out and never knew. You just have to keep exploring. Don't expect changes to happen overnight. It's an ongoing process.

• I constantly want to be more intelligent too. I guess what I do is study hard in college, read popular literature classics/nonfiction books, and keep up with global current events. As for quick thinking, I guess you have to become familiar with whatever subject you're trying to understand and you'll eventually become faster at figuring things out.

• I guess if you spend your time reading rather than online.

• You can become smarter, but not more intelligent.
    Just read, listen to educational programs, do everything you can.

I'm not 100% sure what the difference is?

Intelligence is something you're born with - you can develop your brain and hence be smart - book smart.

• You cannot become more intelligent. Your brain finishes growing at 25, and your IQ by then has already been set. There are different types of intelligence, however you cannot take a magic pill or read a book to increase your intellectual capacity, if you could we'd all be Hawking. However, it sounds more like you have ADD or some sort of learning disability such as a processing disorder.

I actually do have ADD, I am on Ritalin though which helps a little

Well then that's it. You ain't stupid, you're just taking a bit to piece information together. Try not to be hard on yourself.

• read a lot, have conversation with experts or people of the field of interests. discussion will encourage your brain to gain additional knowledges

• Think what would you do if you were playing the sims 😂

I don't play the sims lol, but that's a good idea haha 😂

• Learn things in different ways. It depends on your best learning strategies.
    And find things that you are good at, and you'll feel more intelligent too.
    Read all kinds of books

when i was in primary school, I read 7 books a week- one book per day. I learned so much and those books, mind you, were like harry potter length books. Because I did that, in year 7 (last year lol) i got highest acheiver for English. books help a lot

Aw, thanks. I wish you luck on your quest!

Thanks :)

• get off gag
    I am serious :P

Thanks 😊

haha yes so obviously the net and tv makes you more passive.
      just do activities that you find challenging and interesting
      surround yourself with productive people
      travel
      read

• read, read, read. expose yourself to new ideas everyday.

• Do lots of trivia quizzes, watch movies, learn about new things, try use a new word every week.

Thanks, I think I'll try it 😊

• Study, read, watch educational videos. Download apps that quiz you on certain subjects. Thats what I do lol

• talk to intelligent people

• Exercise your brain by reading and solving maths equations.

• Read read read

Thanks 😊

Also this might be a bit more fun than reading cause that's kinda boring and hard to get into...

Get some game aps that focus on knowledge. Like trivia game aps mind education etc you'll have fun while learning and when you meet up with people you can tell then fun cool interesting facts you've learnt 👍🏻

Thanks I might try that

• Learning from mistakes and the past
    and studying and being open minded

• Read.

• Become more curious

• Reading helps a lot

• If you're happy in life, I wouldn't worry about it

I'm not happy though

Like how?

Well, my mum is pretty dumb and she treated me so badly when i was a kid but she genuinly thought she was helping me. I don't want to end up treating my future kids the same way, I want to get a good job too but I feel like people won't take me seriously or I won't achieve that because of it.

• read, a lot and read thick novels-novels that interest you and may have complex words and sentences

• You can't, I'm myself so bad at maths I always get the worst grade of the entire school. The day I had a good grade I was so happy (but I only get it because my teacher was nice to me, give me a math test alike a primary math test and was really nice when noted me).
    You can't be more intelligent you really cannot.

I think you're thinking of being book smart. Yes, there'll always be subjects you're good and bad at but you can change so you learn the things you're good at faster.

Not really I have a lot of subject where I'm bad like really bad even a middle school people would be a lot better than me in anyways. This really suck