Have you ever doubted your religion?

Have you doubted or questioned your religion ever? What's you religion? What made you doubt it? Where do you stand now?

2mo Please don't bother answering if you're not even religious.

Most Helpful Guy

• I used to be agnostic, so i came to Christianity through rational deduction and logic. It is the only worldview that can provide an objective basis for the things we trust and take for granted when we don't think about things like the mind, ethics, our worldviews.

I came to the realisation based on a combination of history, philosophy, science so i'm very confident in the belief rather than if i mindlessly adopted them. I have questioned before but have found the answers through research and critical thinking and in fact they strengthened my beliefs.

(and yes, i have looked into all religions and beliefs including atheism)

Most Helpful Girl

• I was raised to be Christian and doubted that from around 11 years old. I didn't understand why people believed in something that seemed highly unlikely and hadn't been proved (there is evidence for both a god existing and not existing, just it hasn't been proved yet) and I didn't like the way my father preached about stuff without following it through and expected me to believe in it when I hadn't really been given an option. Also, I'm an ancient history student and I was always super interested in Greek myths and I remember being very confused that we consider those just to be fairytales and legends whilst I was expected to believe the bible was the truth. I guess it also had a bit to do with my sexuality later on, I couldn't get why a god would create people and say he'd love them always and then condemn them for being the way he made them. It just didn't make sense to me and I've been atheist ever since that whole big moral dilemma of 'am I a bad person if I don't believe? am I going to hell' which I gotta tell you, was not fun for an 11 year old to worry about.

What Guys Said 25

• I am Christian (evangelical) since around 31yrs old. Yes, I doubted it until I accepted it.. couldn't stand when someone would tell me about it, or preachers on TV... blech!. After I accepted it on my own, then I engaged in classes where I could challenge it (with Christian leaders who also sometimes challenged it and were farther along than I) and test it. I challenged and doubted it all along and still will challenge it if I don't get it... There are parts of it I don't like and don't agree with. I think it is healthy to doubt and challenge, its how we learn and grow.

But I 100% accept and respect and value Christ, Jesus as my savior. If you don't get it, you don't understand it. It took years for me to understand what he did but what he did was beyond amazing, brilliant. How does one go about saving (the souls) of mankind? Not an easy job... think about that. What God did in Christ Jesus... is hard to fathom., I don't see what else needs to be done other than try and reach people. It is not an easy job... a battle for every soul.

I see human nature... fallen man, sickness... in Islam because Mohammed was human... and sick... no offense. I'm not talking about ISIS.

I've touched other religions and like to learn, but I haven't seen anything else that adds any value beyond Christ. Christ dealt a blow a final blow to the core human problems... shame, fear, anger and replaced them with faith, hope and love. No-one else has added anything or can improve upon that.

That's my current position.

• I was raised Catholic, like most I was told not to question the weird conflicts and contradictions.
    But the more I looked into religion in general as well as my specific faith, the less I believed in it. Facts are solid faith is liquid. There is nothing about any religion which holds any ground when held up to facts or logic for that matter.

I am now agnostic because although I currently see only facts that show religion is a man made fabrication which was created to control a bronzed aged people... I am not close minded to any actual evidence if some is ever presented.

• I grew up Catholic, which is why I am not any longer.
    I was forced to go to religious classes (can't spell catechism)
    I could see from an early age all the issues and holes in their stories.
    Didn't help that the nuns tried to teach that adam and eve were real, not just metaphors.
    I doubted so much from such an early age.
    But I did go through a period where I tried to be religious but just couldn't do it. it is just such nonsense.
    it hit home when I became a father. Now I coudn't just ignore things, I had to teach them what I believed. While I had my boys baptized, it was for my grandmother and my mother.
    Since there is no way to know, I am agnostic. I think it is arrogant to just say nothing happens. But all of us will find out eventually. My feeling is that probably there is nothing. But since we live so short a time, it seems like a complete waste of time if nothing else exists.

• I was a Christian then became an Atheist and I'm now an Agnostic but have been looking into Hinduism and Buddhism. It was a long journey and I doubt it's over yet. To answer your question directly, yes I have questioned my religion and I do on a near-daily basis.

• "Please don't bother answering if you're not even religious."

That's kind of a ridiculous request, considering the question, as most atheists came from religious backgrounds. Kind of strange you seemingly don't want an atheist perspective on this.

I'm obviously not implying it to someone who has been religious in the past.

• I'm a satanist (Anton LaVey kind not the Theistic kind), so no i never doubted the teachings. It is not a religion per say but more of a way of life for instance here are our 11 rules of Earth :
    1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
    2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
    3. When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
    4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
    5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
    6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
    7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
    8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
    9. Do not harm little children.
    10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
    11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

And "magic" is using superstition and common belief as well as psychology tricks to obtain what you want (Reverse psychlogy for example)

• Yes I have.
    Christianity
    Why would their be someone placed in my life. Only to be dangled in front of me like a rabbit chasing a carrot? Why give me what I consider perfection then take it away? Only to be presented with toxic or unhealthy people in it's place.

Where do I stand? I don't attend church or get involved in organized religion. I continue to be left in the desert and I am comfortable here with nothing. Because that what I have always received. I argue a lot about this topic with "God" He pisses me off and I piss him off with my arguments.

• Course I have. All religions are faith based and I don't think you can be a rational person to have never questioned your own religion. It's important to take time and figure out what it is you believe.

• I never doubted my atheism.

• don't have one

• If you talk about our young age when we were told that our religion is the best and the only true religion, then yes I did have doubts. I was always someone who liked reading and research which helped me question my religion.
    Today I don't care about religion at all. I believe it's something that destroys a person and drives people mad. I could begin to talk about my own mother.

What happend with your mother?

She's a complete brainwashed church troll. Every trace of personality is erased. She must always get permission from her priest about everything and anything. During my brother's wedding, she told her daughter in law that she must tell the priest that she is a whore, otherwise the marriage won't be blessed. The woman is spiritually dead.

• Yes , I was born a Muslim then I became agnostic then a Muslim again the problem is you have to seek a path of knowledge to know the truth

• Not ever !! Never will, God willing.

• Yeah, but I was never that much of a believer to begin with. Currently, I identify as an agnostic.

• I have been an atheist for more than a decade now I think.

• ha, of course , i started doubting it since i was 15 and still, i doubt everything about my religion, not only my religion but any other religion, I'm a muslim who doubt the Quran, existence of god, Muhammed and Jesus and Moses, I'm not really that religious, ya know there's a saying of an atheist philosopher who says: "I'm trying to believe, but i can't believe."

• Never did

• Sometimes.. But then again I think that I'm not SUPPOSED to know (that) until I get to heaven, Then you will get all the answers you want!

• Doubting is a normal thing, it shows that you think about things seriously

• Yeah, i did before and left them because i discoverd they are not real.

• I accidentally shot a kid in the head in Iraq. That's how I know God doesn't exist or doesn't care. They gave me a medal.

• Yeah a lot of times, you cannot believe everything so blindly. But, then inturn researched on the arising questions to find the answers, for most of them I did. Some of them are pending.. I might find them too in sometime.

My religion is Hinduism.

• Yes. Raised Mormon. I started questioning it at 12. Inconsistencies in the books, attitudes of the church "leaders," the bendable rules and the dress up competition (comparing clothes with the other members). I haven't been back to church since I was 18. I don't feel a need to go at all. There's what I believe and that should be enough for any God. And I don't have to hear any hypothetical moral stories from other people's pretend life.

• No, never.

What Girls Said 7

• I've explored all religion thoroughly. Born in an atheist family that was still accepting of other religion, it wasn't a bad or hard thing to find out about. I 'tried' christianity but when I found out about it more immediately changed my mind. I never embraced the katholic side, though. It's more about the god being there, I never believed in the bible or jesus and still don't.
    Next was buddhism. It seemed like such a loving, calm faith. I found it less 'forced on' than christianity, islam or hinduism.

Eventually I just realised I wasn't capable in believing in something I could never prove, see or hear before dying. Now i'm an agnostic atheist, and I honestly think it's the best. I think most religious people are just religious because their parents are/were. That's why I don't like people forcing religion on their kids and think all religious schools should be banned.

• Doubted? No. I've had questions about things. I prayed them and I asked those that were further along in their Christian walk. For me, the personal relationship that I have with God trumps everything else. Religion gets tricky because it becomes a competition of trying to prove which one is best and in doing that, you lose sight of what's important.

• i've doubted a LOT of things tbh

• Yeah I did and I ended up being more religious afterwards.

I'm curious, because you are a Muslim and any attempt I make at asking a muslim to answer this question about islam. They either ignore the question and get defensive trying to change the discussion OR they block you if it is online.

This is a basic tenent of Islam so isn't incorrect. In fact it's widely taught and recognised as a fact but somehow, muslims don't tackle or attempt to answer it or think about it.
      www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2114903-what-is-god-in-your-religion this guy blocked me when i attempted to answer

How can you trust Islam as true if as a fundamental doctrine of Islam, you have to recognise that Allah is the king of all deceivers. I. e you believe in a God that admits that he lies.

On what basis can you trust he's being truthful to you vs how he lied to everyone else?

I could exand on this to give you context but I've yet to meet a muslim that can answer that

@HaveNoName Who said that I don't? I became Christian because I found it rationally true and made the most coherence. I take a critical approach so what's the harm in challenging someone to find the truth?

I can't make a rational reason for a muslim believing islam is true considering allah says he lies. So I want to know from a muslim if they've thought about it, i've thought about it and can't find an answer and I tend to give everyone an equal playing ground. Truth is truth, i'd rather know truth

@G-Daz good for you. At least you believe. That's good enough.

• Nope, I have never doubt my religion.

• No, I doubted people in it

• I've doubted everything. Are we human or are we dancers?