To the video gamers of GAG, Western RPGs vs JRPGs, which do you prefer and why?

vs

Final fantasy's, your pokemon, your tales of games, your dragon quests vs your elder scrolls, fallouts, dragon ages, mass effects.

Which genre do you prefer?

• jrpgTo the video gamers of GAG, Western RPGs vs JRPGs, which do you prefer and why?
  • wrpgTo the video gamers of GAG, Western RPGs vs JRPGs, which do you prefer and why?
  • I don't play or don't like rpgs but wanna see results

Most Helpful Girl

• Both are very good, but I think Japanese RPGs have a slight advantage thanks to Final Fantasy, Suikoden and Vandal Hearts.

Most Helpful Guy

• I like both pretty equally to be honest with you I have plenty of games from both genres.

What Girls Said 12

• I guess JRPGs because there's more "fantasy" involved in them. Pretty much, the less likely it is to happen or have happened in real life, the more I like it in a video game. WRPGs are cool, but the graphics are too realistic, and sometimes the plot isn't too unreal.

I know these aren't rpgs, but this is an example. I'd rather play Super Mario Strikers (Soccer) than Fifa because Fifa is too real of a game. You get what I mean?

• WRPG - I like to choose my own adventure, have a choice in what happens and exl+plore as much as possible. When I play a game I enjoy the side missions just as much as the main storyline missions.

+ the more side missions you do, the easier and more fun the main missions usually are --- in the games I've played at least...

• I prefer JRPG. Loved the "Tales Of..." series, FF, and "Lunar Silver Star Sotry" still my all time fave :)

• Probably JRPGs :)

got a favorite series or game in the genre?

I'm a biiiig Pokemon nerd (even if the games are pretty repetitive :P ) so I gotta go with that but I also really liked Fire Emblem (and it's 3:49 am here and I am almost conked out but I am like 99% sure that that's JRPG)

• Jrpg because western stuff isn't creative. Plus most that like it are gun fanatics.

ehhh i'd debate you on that last point.

Not really at all.
      I want to write for a living and I cannot stand the terrible writing in Japanese games.
      And no its not the Translations fault

@Waffles731 Think what you want.

• My favorite RPG is from Korea... Why you no include Korean games? DX

• I enjoy both but Japanese ones a little more

• i like jrpgs

• They are both good.

• I can't decide, both western and Japanese RPGs are cool.

• JRPG, hands down ;)

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 25

• Classic JRPGs modern WRPGs

Do you feel jrpgs have fallen out in terms of quality in these days?

Yeah because they're trying to emulate western rpgs.

• Western. I find there's a lot more variety in the settings and characters compared to Japanese ones. I've loved some JPRGs (Skies of Arcadia and Eternal Sonata among them) but even they featured the same tropes and cliches.

• WRPG WAY over JRPG.
    JRPG has a tendency to spend WAY... WAYY too much time over exposition.
    Some WRPG does it too.
    The cardinal sin of show , don't tell.
    I want to able to deduce clues from the mise en scène.
    Don't tell me. Let me find out.

• I have not played western RPG but it is different style tho original start from western. I still have good memory on finalfantasy after Dragon Quest.
    But it change from 8. I am interesting in the picture final fantasy 1-4, does that belongto Barocco?
    hunmm.. just have experienced JP system but hope to play western RPG

• Japanese RPGs, cause they have much hotter girls :P

• I'm not a big fan of RPGs, but the Westerns are the best ones. I honestly don't like any JRPG.

• I haven't really played any JRPGs to be able to make a comparison :/

• 0|0
  • I prefer JRPGs. Characters, items, villians, etc. are more interesting

• I'll go with rpg since I'm not a weeaboo

• ugh difficult one... I love both!

• I'm a fan of dark souls which I'm dissapointed it doesn't show on anything. I must say dark souls is one of the best rpgs to date. So I have a bias for that reason alone.

• JRPG's tend to have a better story. Most western ones are mostly open sandbox where you have to make your own story for the most part.

• Original Halo trilogy wins.

• WRPG jrpg's are way too weird for my liking

• Japanese RPGs.

• western hands down. Japanese RPGs are all the same

• Western RPGs are WAY WAY WAY WAY
    Better than JRPGs

• Western style rpgs, No contest.
    The Japanese made great ones in the late 80s and through the 90s, Then just went to shit.

Why would you say so?

The best JRPGS can produce just can;t compete with Bioware, Obsidian, Blizzard, and the rest of the Western masters.
      Sorry if you are an Asianphile or weeaboo, But it's the truth. I still love the FF games, But not as much as Dragon Age or Mass Effect.

• Both have their strong points and weak points, I am a fan of both.

• Not familiar with theses games so I can't say anything😄

• Either.

• Im with you girls XD prefer JRPG's

• I typically lean towards jrpgs but wrpgs are good as well.

• wrpg, love em.
    haven't really played jrpgs so. its not fair, but I do know im not a huge fan of the anime cartoon style.