Was your first year of college hard?

I'm finding my first year of college to be incredibly easy, such much so that I'm bored in class. A lot of people are telling me this is just because it's my first year. We're about to be 6 weeks in and I haven't had any challenges with anything except finding time for busywork while working two jobs and participating in a club. I'm just wondering because if it's true I'm debating if I should consider AP classes next semester.

• No, it was easy.
  • No, it was manageable.
  • It was ok.
  • Yes, it was difficult.
2mo I meant accelerated courses, not per se advanced placement (: I just wanted it to be easier to get the gist of.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yep, they were easy for me. They're designed to be easy I believe. They're just introductory to the upcoming shits. It gets harder at 3rd and 4th year. Where you would write thesis (some don't), year project, and work placement in the industry. Etc etc.

Most Helpful Girl

• It honestly just really depends. Ex. If a major falls within English, liberal studies, psychology, sociology, social work, bsuiness (excluding accounting/finance focus) child development, criminology or the like, then yeah the chances of it being easy are highly likely. Now, if it were electrical engineering, aero engineering, or petro engineering... very unlikely the classes will be "Easy", yes they may be less challenging than 2nd or 3rd year but still very challenging compared to most other majors.

What Guys Said 22

• It was difficult because...
    1. It was my first time living for an extended period of time far from home.
    2. I hadn't yet learned how to learn.
    3. I had to deal with a freshly born-again good looking roommate who was an architecture major on a floor with architecture majors. I was a physics major and devoutly unpracticing Catholic who enjoyed Led Zeppelin.
    4. My grandmother died, then my grand aunt, then my next door neighbor in a period of 2 months, capped off by...
    5. My JAP girlfriend back home getting back together with me and then, because she was fickle (I'd learn 5 years later), she dumped me on New Year's Day 1982.

I got all Bs and Cs. More Cs than Bs especially that first semester.

• i found it easier than i expected. i wouldn't say it was easy but definitely easier than i thought it would be

• My first year of college (first semester actually, then I gave up) was insanely hard and hellish. Then my economics/law school year was hard, but manageable. IF you find college easy, what subject are you studying? You must be a real talent in that area anyway. College isn't supposed to be easy. It really isn't.

Majoring in marketing, taking stats, Macroecon, psych, and English currently.

Got it. Good job. I do good too in economics as well and loved Business and Management in IB.

• For me it was difficult, because I went to a low-caliber urban high school, and had zero study skills.

I just did the work, caught on right away, and got As and Bs.

In college I had to learn HOW TO STUDY on-the-fly, and I struggled my first two years and was constantly on academic probation. Once I learned how to study with a method that works for me, I did a lot better.

Yeah in college you're just dropped in the action without any preparatory course on how to best study. In the end it's a nightmare until you discover the formula.

• You don't say what kind of college you are attending. Many people would find community college classes easy. My freshman year was easy for me because it was just lectures and exams. It got harder later when classes required long form work -- papers and projects.

• Difficulty really varies based on a lot of things. The institution, the course, and the professor can all have a significant impact on the difficulty of a course. Not sure what you mean by AP classes? That's a high school thing lmao

Haha yeah, I just wanted to word it so it'd be easier to understand. I mean accelerated courses. Less class time, more work.

Well if a challenge is what you want, it would certainly be something to consider. I highly recommend against taking a challenging course in a subject you are not interested in though. Regardless of your performance in the class, it will just be an incredible pain in the ass to deal with it.

• Yes it was difficult. Most of my friends were not concentrating on attending classes regularly. They were habitually bunking their classes. And I was pressured to behave like them. But I refused to act in the way they wanted me to do. My parents were making great sacrifices so that I can study well. I respected all that they were doing for me. So without proper friends by my side , I was feeling a little bit uneasy. I coped well and always passed my tests with above 60% scores.

• Depends on program.

I jumped around a bit. Some realistically require 50-60 hours a week, some require about 10.

• Academically it was a joke. I cut classes for the most part and still got A's by just showing up for the test (where attendance wasn't part of the grade). The rest sucked almost as much as high school. It only started getting harder 3rd year. Funny how that's when tuition fees start shooting for the moon as well.

• It seemed easy, the first months but got more difficult later on.

• easy, because you only do the basics and refresh a lot of things you have already seen in highschool. there were 1-2 courses I struggled with but other than that... not that hard, especially not in the first couple of weeks

• It was okay, though I ended up transferring after my second year, since I didn't like the commuter college atmosphere and grew tired of South Florida.

• It was difficult because I was trashed half the time, as I lived in a crazy dorm and didn't study much.

Eventually got through though...

• I'm struggling like a mofo my first year, been out of school for 4 years tho, and full time job+obligations

Try using smarthinking. It's an online tutoring website where they help with all kinds of subjects. My favorite part is you can also send in papers and they will look over it and email it back with suggestions on how to make it better. If you do this though make sure you give them at least 24 hours to look at it so don't wait until the day the paper's due to send it.

@Shawmby

well I'm mainly struggling with chemistry don't really need help with papers, don't write papers in my major anyways lol, but thanks for the heads up

• I am in my first year and it's hard af 😂😂😂

• lol went through my first year without much effort. It was straight forward.

• hated my 1st year. was crazy. and when I transferred it was worse because it was a bad commute too..

• First two years were easy. Mostly GE classes. I just screwed up scheduling the first semester is all

• Compared to my 3rd year of engineering.

It was the easiest thing I have ever done.

• mostly just annoying. dumbass profs can't speak English to save their lives.

the stuff that was fun was everything non school related. can u imagine living on campus without school responsibilities? omg.

• No, got a 4.0 GPA in my first year.

• It wasn't difficult.

What Girls Said 17

• The classes weren't that bad, my GPA was good. And I made quite a few friends. BUT I overall, didn't like my time at that school because it was just a terrible fit... I didn't even think that was possible until being there and living it.
    Then I changed schools, the classes were MUCH harder, I didn't make as many friends, BUT I wasn't resenting campus events, administration, general message... so, it's a lot better.

• I thought you meant in general. I had to hack of a time working with fincial aid, I couldn't afford my books first semester, I spend the semeter looking for a job and not getting hired. But at the end they did increase my aid and by second semester I got half the books I needed. And I got a job working 5 hours a week to pay for other things I needed. Though I still kept trying to find a job. The classes though were not difficult.

• Honestly, University was just plain easy all around...

I managed to graduate with a high GPA despite working almost full time on top of being in school full time, partying most weekends and being a gigantic stoner lol

I think it depends a lot on what degree you are after tho. I'd die trying to do engineering haha

• The first year is usually pretty easy unless you take difficult classes.

• was easy

• It was very difficult for me.

1) I had just moved out of my parents house. I was in a new city ALL BY MYSELF. Welcome responsibilities, depression and more responsibilites.

2) I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do with my life (duh). I started a semester in econ and then changed for literature and history.

3) I missed my parents and old friends so bad.

So yeah, first year sucked for me. Now it's way better for me.

• It wasn't hard for me the thing is that I hated was that advisors made you take courses that had nothing to do with your major , oh and not to mention that you get to deal with professors that tell you stories about their personal life which it really bug me because it was a waste of time in classes and the professors interesting conversation had nothing to do with the topic he was lecturingredients.

• No, it was the easiest.

• Not at all, I made some really good friends and I have some funny stories left by that year.

• Depends on your major, I was in veterinary technology and it was super hard. I had no time for clubs or social life for that matter.

• I found the coursework very easy with the exception of programming but managing time is the hard part.

• my first 2 years were the worst years in my life XD
    but yet again I had my reasons

• It was easy, but I'm lazy. I had a lot of mess around in me.

• Overall it was okay. In some areas it was really hard. The second semester was more difficult.

• It was my easiest

• Just you wait till your upper level classes...

• Nope... it was almost like high school just twice as much reading -_____-