Commonwealth countries Free Movement of People between UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand? Favour or no?

Recent talks are suggesting after Brexit. The UK now has the option to return to the free movement of people between it's close relationships of the commonwealth without being controlled by the EU. Are you in favour?

Commonwealth countries
UK
Canada
Australia
New Zealand citizens

Collectively, we would have the fourth largest economic area in the world, a combined GDP of $5.7 trillion, a GDP per capita value higher than that of the United States, and an unemployment rate of under 6 per cent. More so, citizens of the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Canada would have the opportunity to work, study and reside freely within these countries, while our businesses recruit the best international talent without the cost, risk and often lengthy delays experienced under present immigration controls.

Would you support the free movement of people between one another with no restrictions regarding work permits or visa controls.

A recent poll by the Commonwealth Exchange shows that 58% of British people, 70% of Australians, 75% of Canadians and 82% of Kiwis are in favour of free movement between our four countries, making it possible for a citizen of any of these nations to live and work in any of the others.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/124596
http://www.commonwealth-exchange.org/polling-free-movement-between-aus-can-nz-uk/

petition to sign

• I'm British. I support it
  • I'm British. I don't support
  • I'm Canadian. I support it
  • I'm Canadian. I don't support it
  • I'm Australia. I support it
  • I'm Australian. I don't support it
  • Non Commonwealth
2mo As independent nations with full control over their countries. I think that if executed well, it would actually be a good thing.

Most Helpful Girl

• As of now, I support it (I'm from Australia) but I feel like I still don't really understand enough about the pros and cons to make a strong decision I can stand by.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have not voted above. Because , I don't fit in any of the options. I belong to INDIA one of the largest commonwealth countries in the world by population. Already there is a sizable population of Indians in Britain , Canada , Australia and New Zealand. Some of the best Doctors and Nurses in UK are of Indian origin. Our Software Engineers are all over the place there. Canada has a lot of Punjabis. New Zealand and Australia know India so well because of our Indian Cricket Team. I am in favor of free movement of people among all common wealth countries without making any restrictions. Why should the agreement be limited among only four countries? People of Indian Origin are already represented in Politics at the highest levels in all these four countries. Altogether there are 53 countries in this group having a population of 2.1 billion people which is almost a third of the world population. 94% of them live in Asia and Africa. So the best solution will be to have free movement between people of all these countries. A selective approach is not the right solution. UK should treat all countries of the common wealth equally. Common Wealth should provide common benefits to all countries of the common wealth equally. Otherwise there is no meaning to have a group of common wealth countries.

Of course, however the principle of this agreement between these particular commonwealth countries was argued from the perspective of common law, culture that is more similar in these 4

India is the fastest growing major economy in the world. Its GDP is growing @ 7% per annum. China is the second fastest @ 6%. India is the largest provider of Software Engineers in USA , UK and other EU Countries. Scientists of India are already working in US Defence Establishments and Space Research Centres.. Kalpana Chawla who died in a US space vehicle explosion is of Indian origin. Indian Doctors and Nurses are already working in UK Hospitals. When we have got such brilliant talent , we deserve to get opportunities. The world is growing at a slower rate now. With the help of Indian Talented People , the scenario in the world can change dramatically if they allow Free Flow Of Personnel in each others countries.. Education Institutions for Higher Learning in New Zealand and Australia also have sizable Indian Students Russia trains our Doctors , and China trains doctors in Accupuncture and Ancient Medicine fields. Children of Indian expectriates in UK and US are well highly educated.

@Oram52 You are talking of low wage workers. Of course we do provide low wage workers too. They usually work more in middle east countries. In other parts of the world they are in lesser numbers. The visas for the most talented and highly skilled workers in USA is called as H1B Visas. In FY 2010 76627 visas were issued to people born in India. That was 53.3% of the total visas issued in USA. The same number increased to 124326 in FY 2014 and the percentage of Indian born in it increased to 62.2%. More and more Indians are ready to work , but there is a yearly quota of not more than 200000. So you see we have huge number of skilled workers but we are not getting opportunities because of quota restrictions. In Swindon in UK , a sizable Indian population is living there. so you see Indians are every where and they can adjust easily in any country. To adjust with the local culture is not a problem for them I hope you understand India very well. I have also replied to G-Daz. Kindly read it.

What Girls Said 1

• sounds better than living in America rn..

What Guys Said 19

• At what cost? Is this a way to pull the commonwealth countries in, to counter a movement toward further distancing themselves from the UK?

From an economic point of view it seems better for Australia and NZ to tie themselves more closely with the Pacific rim, not with a country on the other side of the world.

Or at least that's my thoughts as an outsider with limited knowledge. :)

• No. This is English (not British) exceptionalism trying to ride the momentum of the foolish Brexit decision by attempting to reassert its Empire.

There are another 49 Commonwealth countries that are not mentioned here - why aren't Pakistan, Botswana or Sierra Leone getting the same benefit? Or more seriously, developed countries like South Africa or Singapore?

• I'm American, and I think it would be a cool idea. Maybe not "free" movement, but significantly streamlined and expedited travel + migration would be interesting. I mean, the British Empire amicably broke apart with the Statute of Westminster, correct? I don't see why those old connections couldn't be partially reinstated, especially now that Brexit carried the vote.

• I was in favour of free movement in EU as well, on principle majority would still like that as Theresa May is trying to get some deal on that. The problem was mass immigration, these were low skilled workers that put a strain on the country and obviously competed with low skill jobs with other Brits.

Regarding free movement between 4 Common Wealth countries I am in favour, culturally they are similar. The question is how feasible is it, and what exactly this fee movement entails.

• Yes. I only agree with free movement with countries that allow it both ways. I think It would be beneficial for Australia and Canada as Britain is a small island with a large number of well educated and skilled men and women but is overpopulated but Canada and Australia are under populated and still growing and could use large numbers of such British people. But its really up to them.

Large amounts of British people are already flooding Australia anyway.

i don't think it will be a problem, especially in relation to their population sizes. Australia has a population of 20 million, Canada 35 million and new zealand 4 million whereas the uk has over 65 million

Australian Bureau of Statistic estimates a population of 24 million as of 23rd Sept 2016.

• I'm Canadian and I oppose it.
    We are already letting in refugees that are a drain on our economy.
    One of the few things I agreed with Brexit on is that the EU forbade member states to discriminate between local workers and foreign workers giving them equal status. Local workers should always have priority.

• Meh, don't know. Doubt we'd suddenly get an influx of people wanting to live here, but lots of people would probably leave here if that were the case. I mean Hobbiton is in New Zealand for god's sake, who wouldn't want to live there?

• I'd have to see more info on the economic side, but I'd love to be able to work in Australia or New Zealand for a while without a hassle.

• I'm non-Commonwealth and I am against it. Facilitates easy movement of terrorists across continents.

Only if they are citizens. Once you step foot into Britain it doesn't mean you can go to Canada

You like trump don't you?

Explains it all

@yucel_eden No. I won't vote for him, but I do have a personal preference to avoid terrorism and ethnic drama and hostility. I have no interest in, multiculturalism bullshit and prefer assimilation. S, I am conservative in that eay. I'll be voting for Hillary though my vote won't matter coz I live in s red state.

• Ehhh I don't know about completely free movement maybe less regulated I'm English and tbh I don't really care or understand why the other countries wanted it more than britain.

isn't it already fairly easy for British people to move to australia already.

pre EU it was, not currently.

I still don't think completely free movement is the best option and I really don't care if this never happened the petition is already over and it didn't get 100,000.

• sound like the British are at it again - i get you dont believe in the UE "principles" but going your own way with those other countries won't help in the long run. Just my honest opinion anyway

• No. Because Australians aren't allowed to work in the UK anymore so UK people shouldn't be allowed to work here.

I am for Australians working in the UK. But this agreement would be for the mutual unrestricted work barriers for all 4 countries

So many people want to come to Australia to have the chance of getting a permanent resident visa so they are allowed to work here. I think it's not fair to all those people if we just let in English people and Canadians etc

• I've always wonder WHY THERE ISN'T

• This scam poll.
    From NZ and I think I'd be for it.

• Screw that. The Brits already steal all our talent as it is. What's in it for us?

• I don't see why not even though I don't live in any of those places. Who enjoys more red tape?

• As I canadain I was not contacted for this study my guess is it was conducted in Toronto or Vancouver witch is hardly a accurate sample

• I'm non common wealth and I'd support that.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more