Help I rescued a kitten and he won't eat or drink?

Most Helpful Guy

• I had similar case.

1. Don't force him to eat/drink. I fed my kittens milk using dropper and they vomited and lost conscious.
    2. You could give him milk with added water in it using dropper. It could be hard for him to digest whole milk. Don't give it cold (refrigerated). Boil it to body temperature.
    3. Not eating is a sign of diseases. Take him to vet ASAP.
    4. Personally, I gave my kittens liquid paracetamol with two more liquids (I don't remember, I'll tell you within 24 hrs) along with multivitamins. And they worked. My kittens got better and started drinking milk.
    5. A vet could give you better recommendations regarding medication.
    6. You could also try eggs. It will help them in recovery too.

Good luck :)

The medicines I used were :-
      ●Cefixime Oral Suspension IP (Micef-O dry syrup)
      ●Aceclofenac & Paracetamol Suspension (Aciez-P)
      ●Paracetamol, Phenylephrine Hydrochloride & Chlorpheniramine Oral Suspension (Wikoryl)
      ●Vitamin-Z drops

Most Helpful Girl

• What have you been feeding him? And how? Try bottle feeding it some milk or formula even.

Seek a vet ASAP please

What Guys Said 17

• Did you try *warm* milk? Warm it to body temperature. Check it like you'd check temperature for feeding a human baby. Splash a little on your wrist. When it has a neutral temperature, it's the right temperature.

If it's a very young kitten try using an eye dropper or something similar. But if it's too young it night not survive.

• How old is the kitten? If he is younger then 6 to 8 weeks old they can only have cat milk or formula if there isn't a female cat around to take the kitten as its own, they usually feed every 30 minutes to 3 hours, if you dont have a kitten bottle or puppy bottle you should get one, makes it easier, it may take a couple days for it to finally take to the nipple because their not used to the rubber nipple and they haven't yet marked it with their scent by chewing on it and slobbering on it. Its a lot of work but worth it, if you need help with it and advice just let me know, I've raised over 18 different kittens.

Yeah thanks so much!!!

Ok thats good, having a mother cat makes it a lot easier, not only with the feeding but helping keeping them warm until their old enough to regulate their own body temperature, whcih usually they can after 3 weeks old and helps them wean easier and she can show him or her how to drink water when their old enough and how to use a litter box, if his or her eyes aren't open yet she may be younger then 2 weeks old and also they dont usually ween until around 3 to 4 weeks, sometimes 5

You are welcome, after raising kittens different times, lol its given me a deep respect for mama cats, makes me wonder how they can stay sane lol, also they need help going to the bathroom too for about the first 2 weeks by gently rubbing a light damp cloth in circles on their pelvis but the momma cat just licks them until they go then cleans it up herself

• I've raised a kitten since he was about 3 weeks old. Had to get milk supplement and bottle feed him. At around 6 weeks began mixing the milk supplement with some solid food. Once he got used to eating I slowly cut off the milk. Unfortunately at around 4-5 months he began urinating everywhere to mark his territory. Had to put him outside. For months he was fine until he decided to roam the streets for a mate... Found him on the street in front of our driveway laying on the floor. RIP kitty.

Woah got off topic there. Don't give him cow milk it'll give him diarrhea. Don't feed him tuna it can be toxic. Don't bathe him until he's adapted to you or you'll stress him out.

• You should take it to the vet cause not eating is a sign of disease
    Someone might leave that kitty there cause of disease
    You're a sweetheart to take care of that kitten 😊

Like what type of diseases? Thanks I couldn't leave him in the high way. He was having a heat stroke in this 90 degree weather.

I have no idea tbh
      My pleasure 😊

• Try milk no kitty cat turns down milk. If so take the cat to the vet ASAP

• Nice work.
    Try to feed kitten milk by spoon or cotton swab this way they learn. open their mouth an put very little amount of milk they will start ingesting feed it until it stops drinking. but be very careful take very little amount every time. all the best

• Is a veterinary open? aw I hope the poor guy is okay. Where did you save him/her, any injuries? I think the only solution is taking him/her to a vet I suppose.

No it's too late at night. But I did find him in the afternoon on the highway. The poor guy was having a heat stroke in this 90 degree weather.

Well now he's sleeping that's all he's been wanting to do. But he's not panting cause on the ride home the car was pretty cool.

That's a good sign he isn't panting, that's a positive. Panting usually means overheated or needing water. Maybe the kitty was over tired and just needed some rest, who knows. But hopefully it sleeps fine over the night so u can take the cat to the vet ASAP, usually they can give a sort of medicine to make the cat want to eat if it has a problem.

• Not eating is a sign of disease

• how old? if it is too young you will need to get milk replacer from a pet store and bottle feed it

• take him to the vet. he will check the kitten and also can tell you what works best

• Take the kitten to a vet's clinic.

• Hmmm maybe you need to take him to a vet? anyways cats are hell cute... You should post a pic

• If it's a kitten, like if it's tiny and fits in your hand, then it need formula that you need to get from like petco or some place similar

• Why don't you try to mouth feed them through a feeding tube?

• You can eat it instead. ok kidding you can try to warm some milk and feed it

• Take it to an expert !

• He probably isn't old enough to eat plus he probably seen him mom ran over by a car can he walk on his own yet or does he play with a string

No I guess he's about 4 weeks. He's got teeth and his walk is a bit unstable he wobbles around.

Try taking the kitten to her and seeing if it will suckle

Alright I will thanks!!

What Girls Said 7

• If you have a vet call their emergency number if you don't start going through the phone book.

Really young kittens can go fast so you should really try to get him into someone who knows how to help him.

• Don't give him milk. Cats don't really do well with cows milk. I think giving them milk is just a myth. Give him water.
    Take him to a vet asap though.

if you have some canned tuna in your house, try that.

nice! hopefully he eats.
      if you do a google search, cats can't have lactose. so if you are giving him milk, try to give him lactose free milk if you have that in your house. Don't listen to everyone telling you to give him milk. it'll only make him sicker. cats can't do milk unless its from their mother.

Yeah I heard that so I stopped trying to feed him milk.

• I agree with what others say. Try to get a bottle or eyedropper or some sort of thing where you can give him milk.
    You said he 4 weeks. Even with teeth he still might need to be bottle fed if he was a hot as you said. Keep him cool but dont shock his system and take him to a vet ASAP.
    leave the food. He may need some time

• take him to the veterinary and see what happens

• How old is the kitten?

• Take the kitten to your nearest animal hospital, ASAP. They will help him. If you're thinking about adopting him they would gladly give him all his shots for you if you wanted. But yeah, take the kitten to your nearest animal hospital and tell them how and where you found him

• Does he have worms, check the color of his gums, check his coat, and is he pooping blood or vomiting?

Oh and how old do you think it is.

Well I haven't seen him use the restroom yet... it's been like 5 hours what does that mean? I think he might be 4 weeks.

He's probably really dehydrated and has nothing in it's tummy. Can you please check his gums