What is your impression of homeless people begging for money on the streets?

Do you ever try to help them?

I know this may sound messed up, but I'm too afraid that it's all a scam and theyre just faking it or looking for drug money. 😣

Most Helpful Guy

• I want to help them, but at the same time I don't trust them. But I think about their situation and I wonder what I would do if I were in their place. It's tough.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 18

• I worked at a soup kitchen for a period of time. It was in the green of a downtown area. I would see these people begging for money on the street and come down and eat free food at our place. They were mostly drug addicts and alcoholics.

But there are exceptions: One day my buddy and I saw a guy begging in front of a Wal Mart.. his sign said "Had back surgery, can't afford food for wife and kids".. I laughed.. my buddy pulled up and asked to see the guys incision.. sure enough the guy lifted his shirt and showed us the staples running up is spine.. He was a roofer working under the table and fell off a roof.. no insurance, no unemployment, nothing...

• I don't think most of those pan handlers are even homeless. Also, if they have a good location they probably make a lot more begging than I do. Those guys can rake in the dough. I never give them money and it pisses me off when other people do. A high percentage of them are scammers and make good money doing it.

If I'm going to help someone, it won't be like that.

• Never give money. If you want to help them, offer to buy a bit of food for them. That's the easiest way to find out if they are a scam or not.

• If I have to get up early for work, then they should at least put the effort in getting their life together again.

• My home town is rampant with homelessness.

It sucks that they're in that position. Especially when they have animals; I feel worse for them, really.

Also, it's sometimes hard to feel sorry for them 'cause they're victims of their own undoing from evident heavy drug usage.

Others just had shitty luck.

As for begging for money? Like a dingus, I dont usually carry cash, so I don't help them out much. But, if they could earn it, I'd spot them with food 'cause I wouldn't trust them with money.

It's easier said than done 'cause I'm too busy dealing with my own life to bother with someone who has theirs in the gutter.

• if i was living in america, i´d drop them some change. but in germany, you don´t have to be homeless. either you´re horribly lazy or you´re a hobo on purpose. cause you get support if you regularly go to the respective institutions. so here, beggars are frowned upon.

• I give money when I can. Everybody is hurting and struggling.

• i always try to help them, as much as i can.
    and no they are not a scam or anything like that, they are poor homeless people.
    their life is very different form ours believe me. they sleep on the streets and when we dont have a blanket we couldn't sleep but they can sleep on the streets. believe me there life is very hard and we need to help them as much as we can

• The government already use my taxes to fun homeless shelters for them (or they will once I start paying taxes). So no, I won't give them any money out of my pocket.

Besides, what's stopping them from getting a job? They are just leeching on society because they are too lazy to work for a living. Anybody but child molestors can get a job at McDonald's, and minimum wage can support an individual. If they are child molestors, they deserve to live on the streets anyway.

• Buy them food - Don't give them money - Buy a burger or a pre packed sandwich

• They are the strongest people in society (the real ones not the scammers)

• I bought KFC chicken and biscuits for one that had his dog with him.

Ah, yes, I always make sure the Ones with the dogs get the most. xx

• I'm a broke college student beggar myself, who can't get a job.

• it's 50/50

• I feel bad for them. Many of them are mentally ill.

• No, don't give them money. Give them food. If they reject food, then you know those guys won't do anything good with money.

• Most of the people begging in my city are not homeless. Some are. I'm more likely to give food.

• i always wondered why its mostly men

No coincidence mate!

(coughmarriagecoughdivorcecough)

What Girls Said 15

• I have Seen Plenty of them in my own Life, @Paulina528, especially the Ones that are Living in New York City and All over.
    Yes, I have Given to Many as well, who are Down on their Luck, and Being as Wise as I am, I can usually Tell by their Eyes, things of this Nature if they are Using drugs, believe me.
    Let's not forget too those who are in Missionaries and Shelters and so forth. The Numbers are growing every day. Just recently Found out Someone I know Who is in New York Is... Down on his own Luck in the Bowery now.
    Good luck and Good question. xx

• Some are scams , some aren't. I have a profound compassion for homeless people

I know of a genuine homeless man , and I've given him a duvet and bought him meals in the past.

I also know of a teenage homeless guy, I know of his circumstances so I know he's genuinely homeless. One time I gave him the change out of my pocket , it wasn't much , as I came out of the shop he thanked me. I told him it's ok that's he already thanked me for the change. He added that he wasn't thanking me for the money again, he was thanking me for smiling at him coz most people wouldn't give him eye contact let alone smile. The smile was more valuable to him than money

My father helped homeless people in the past. He'd take them for lunch and buy them necessities. Only with people he knew were genuine though. You can't really know if they are scamming you unless you know of them , and their circumstances

• I give if people come up and ask me and I have loose change, but I don't just give money to the homeless, unless the have something out to collect change. And even then, not often will I give.

I used to buy The Big Issue a lot but I can't afford to much anymore, that's a magazine written by homeless people made to support the venders who are almost always either homeless or in real danger of becoming homeless.
    The venders are usually male though because most women are too afraid they'll be made victims standing out in the public eye surrounded by strangers, especially in a position where they so obviously need help.

• My father gives them money but I don't have money of my own, sometimes I give them money too.
    Here I don't give to Romani Gypsies because I hate how they try to fool me by pretending they're Arab/ Muslim, as if I couldn't tell their accent was fake and super broken.

• I feel bad for them but I think a good chunk of them are ex cons and though I feel bad for them and don't know their situation I dont really want to help them. And ya I agree with you on the drugs thing too.

• I find it deplorable that Fat Fucks cruise on their electric scooters while some people starve for days at a time. I find it horrible that a women has to sleep under an arch, and bathe as best she can when Right across the street there is a condo with mostly vacant rooms. The wealth and food of this putrid nation is disproportionate and Americans are too selfish to even consider changing it, because unfortunately our country is run by Greedy evil assholes who think 'Mine, MineMine' when they have More than enough. I do all that I can, but it's still not enough. It's especially worse for those who recently lost their homes due to not affording rent. They say "hi" to people on the street and are treated like dogs because they are now homeless. It sickens me. Not everybody is a fricking drug dealer.

• Terrible, they are most likely drug addicts, too so if you are stupid enough to give them money, that's where it goes.

• I NEVER give them money. Instead i offer food or drinks. Which is how you fish out those who just falsely say that want money for food and those who really truly want it. That way you know that you're' not supporting their addiction. Because lets face it, it either goes to their dealer to get more drugs or to pay them off. #TalkFromAReliefWorker #IKnowHowTheyWork

• I always try to give what I can.

• "I know this may sound messed up, but I'm too afraid that it's all a scam and theyre just faking it or looking for drug money. "

Yes, that is true. Some of them use the money to buy drugs. That is why my family, and I give them food, and not money. 😊

• I help them anyway because I'm not a sit human being. A lot of people aren't homeless because of drugs, but because of this shitty economy.

• I always help them.

• I generally assume that too. I've given homeless people money and when I do it's selfish. You aren't supposed to..

• I help out when I can. Sometimes it's regular people who have been through a lot. I just think about the times I've been really broken and how my family helped me. They probably didn't have anyone.

• I agree with you Thats why I never give them money because you never know who you can trust.