I don't get the big deal over London and Paris?

what's so good about them cities? london and paris seem ugly and old

judging by the pictures New York is wayyy better :p

Most Helpful Girl

• Pffff I know what you mean. London is super ghastly, except for the really rich areas like Chelsea, Mayfair, Marylebone, and Kensington. But its soooo crowded too and super polluted. The good thing about it is the shops I suppose. Paris is better but I've spent less time there. Its just so much more beautiful architecturally. The subway smells bad though. Its just hyped up becuase of the big companies, and rich people that live there. Everything's there, the good, the bad, and the ugly. People just focus mainly on the good. I'm not a fan of big cities, but they're useful for work. The best option is to live just outside so that you can get to them if needed but have fresh around and nature around you.

Most Helpful Guy

• I like London a lot for its numerous parks and green areas. I also think the Thames river makes the city more beautiful. However, if I was to live in Great Britain for a few years, I'd probably not want to live in London. I find the north with its countryside and small towns more charming.
    Paris is unfortunately a very dirty and hectic city. However, it is awesome if you are into culture-related things such as art and architecture. I think my girlfriend and I have visited pretty much every museum there is in Paris - and there's A LOT of them. What I also like a lot about Paris is that there's lots of hidden history. Other than that, I feel the same way about Paris as I feel about London: it's a city you must have visited but I'd rather live in the peaceful countryside of the Provence than right in the middle of Paris.
    New York can be cool for its multi-cultural feel and all the different bars and restaurants. I also like Central Park a lot. Two things I hate about New York are the rude people (I have been there several times now and people were always very rude) and the traffic. The latter is unfortunately also true for most other American cities. American cities could be so beautiful if it wasn't for the constant noise and the stinking air you have to breath. It makes you not want to explore the city on foot and that's really a shame because that's the best way to discover hidden pearls. I wish New York could kill down its traffic a little.

What Girls Said 3

• Paris is actually super dirty haha but I still love it!

• Both seem way better in my opinion. I lived in New York and have visited a couple of times and that is overrated. Paris is romantic.

• I live in London and have done all my life. I wish the immigrants thought the same as you and fucked off.

is it any good?

Yes its a wonderful city if you know where to play and where to live. You need connections in London to really enjoy it - to get into the best clubs, always get into a restaurant without a booking, to get truffles when you need them, to get the best champagne, etc. Its a wonderful city to me. I love it.

What Guys Said 12

• New York is a pit, too. All three cities are big, crowded, and dirty. Paris smells like sewage everywhere you go. New York's city planners failed to think of alleys so there is always a giant pile of garbage in the street. And I have yet to go anywhere in England where stuff isn't shabby.

London and Paris are, foremost, the capital city of their countries, so they have a certain charm in the way they represent England and France, respectively. New York isn't the capital of anything, so, in a way, it represents the world in the minds of many people. It's easy to romanticize these cities because, in film, these cities are practically characters when the story is set there. But me? I'd never live in any one of them.

It's strange that all three cities are famous for their light rail systems: the tube, the metropolitan, and the subway. But if you really wanted to see efficient, safe, and CLEAN public transport, check out a city like Munich or Vienna. Vienna, another capital, often tops "most livable city" lists. I've been there many times, too, and it deserves the title. If a city can ever be called beautiful, Vienna is.

• tons of culture. thousands of years worth of history. great museums.

don't judge a book by it's cover. go check them out. i love NY but still appreciate the incredible things paris, london and other cities have to offer

• They are romanticsed by people who've never had to live or work there. Anywhere can seem great when you're on vacation with a nice hotel room, restaurants for all your meals and nothing to do but see the sights and have fun!

Museums and culture don't do much when you're grinding away at a job in a stupid office, trudging down the aisle in the supermarket, or sweating on an overcrowded train platform.

• I have been to London and NYC, I much prefer London plus I wouldn't mind seen Paris - NYC for me was yeah I have seen it but in no rush to go back.

• Me neither. Both cities are boring. I doubt New York is any more spectacular though.

The thing with cities for tourists is that they are always fantastic in about 1% of the city. The rest is just pure bore.

• Well, one city is a beacon of civil society and the other one is inhabited by people who eat snails and horses and think Wakfu is a good game.

• New York is a relatively old city now too though. Most of the most amazing looking cities are in Asia.

• the old buildings is what makes them interesting. I find that much more interesting than those modern ones

• Deep history. Therefore, romantic.

• from people who have been to both, i've heard london is cool but paris is full of snobs.

• they are old indeed, that is exactly why

americans never understand that lol because their country is so young. i remember visiting a castle in the UK, overheard an American couple saying "how do they make it look so old?' lmao

• All three cities are fantastic if you have money.