Random question, but how good are you at determining height?

For those of you who don't know what I mean, I am referring to looking at somebody and guessing their height based on visuals alone.

I'm apparently terrible at it, because when I first started dating my boyfriend I thought he was around 5'7" and it turns out he's 5'10". Looool.

What about you guys?

Most Helpful Guy

• Big difference, haha. I'm pretty good, I have to measure ALL the time at work so I tend to make pretty accurate guesstimations.

What do you do for work?

I'm less hands on now because I'm a regional manager, but I still have to know how to school the newbies under me, haha.

Well there ya go. Lol.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 32

• I am terrible at it. Especially when gauging my height against others. I always feel like I am similar in height until I see a photo and I tower over them..

• Despite being an architect, I am absolute shit when it comes to determining distance, height or even weight (roughly). I just can't.

• I tend to overestimate tall people and underestimate short people. Looking up to or down to someone's eyes makes it seem like a vast difference to me.

• I am not bad - I am 5'9" which is close to the average so if I think of myself as the average I can work from that - I might get the exact number wrong at the extreme ends like below 5'2" and over 6'4" but I am usually in the ballpark.

• I'm pretty good at estimating heights that are of objects. Never been put in a situation to guess a person's height haha

• I'm pretty good at it when I see someone in person. My guesses are usually within 1-2 inches of their actual height.

On-line, it's a different story. For instance, I didn't know that you're only 5'2" of pure power :p

• If anybody is above 6 ft tall I can easily make out , even from a distance. And if anybody is below 5 ft short , i can easily make out , from a distance. But if any body is in-between 5 ft to 6 ft , I compare them to my height , and assume what could be the difference. It's as easy as that.

• I would say fairly good tbh I take lots of measurements at college and I know my exact height and can tell like one inch either way for someone else

• not brilliant but not that awful i'm 6'1 witch is an alright height i think and i know 5'2 is a head or so shorter 5'7 nose level ish 5'10 top of head to my eye level ish
    and 6'11 is my eyes a neck level ish

• All you have to do is stand and look straight with eyes. The point you see is the height your eyes are , so i get a pretty close estimate.

• I can only tell for people who are smaller than me, because even though my eyes would look down, with my 5'5 it wouldn't be too far downwards, and so I'd have my head straight and could compare them to my own height.

• pretty bad... the bigger the difference to myself, the further I will be off.

• I'm pretty good to about 6'4, beyond that I can't tell

• I think people are better at determining width than height.

• Complete rubbish.

• I'm worse than you, I saw a girl who actually was 4'9" and I thought she was 5'3"

anyways, 3 inches different is not visible, I'm 5'7" or 5'8" (I'm not sure) and my father is 5'10" , we look the same height when we stand next to each other.

• I never determine exact height. To me they're tall, middle or short haha

• I am 4'11". It's hard for me.

• i build rally cars so have a built in tape measure... ergo im usually right

• I am real good at determining height. I am 6 feet 3 inches. And I can instantly guess height of the other person.

• I am 6"2 so I look down at most people

• I'm okay, I guess. I'm usually pretty close.

• Haha you'd have misjudged me than, I'm also 5'10''!
    I can do it with some error margin. I look good and compare them to my height: do I have to look down or up and how steeple? :D

• I'm quite accurate 💯😉

• I can only ever say if a person's taller than me or shorter. Nothing very accurate. But yeah more often than not I find slimmer people taller and stockier people shorter.

• Bad
    I thought my mom was 5"5
    she's 5"2

• I am almost as bad as you 😂
    I see myself as 'shorter' so I always round up with people

I am 5'10", and if I see someone my height I think " that dude is 6ft"
    If I see a girl who is 5'6" I think "that girl is my height!" Lol

• I like shorter women or about the same height

I wasn't asking for your preference. Lol...

The question is about whether or not you are good at determining someone's height.

Well ok... fair enough... no I have a hard time telling. The person probably more or less the height I think they are

• I have absolutely no clue.

• I think I'm pretty good at it actually. I'm usually within an inch

• More from Guys
    2

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 13

• I'm pretty good, usually within the inch. I have pretty good reference points, like I know how tall I am, my dad is taller, my brother is even taller than that, so I have a relative sense of what height is what.

• I'm terrible at it 😂 if I can see them in person then I try to compare them to my height and take a guess from that... Still I usually get it wrong haha

• If they are relatively close to my height, then pretty easily. If they tower over me I'm like "He/she is 190cm". XD

• Terrible. Everyone just looks tall to me. 😂

• am really bad at it

• Yep... I have no idea. Apparently humans are better at judging vertical height to horizontal length because we are upright beings. But the odd inch? Not me. Just small, tall, and in between lol

• I'm pretty good although I didn't fully believe my guy was 6'4" until I measured him.

• I'm alright at it. I'm usually only an inch out

• I know my height and I can tell people who are close to it. If they're really tall or really short. I'm not sure.

• Terrible.

• Bad, everyone around my height is easy but shorter and taller are all confusing..

• I'm not that good at it haha

• I'm pretty good at it.