Anyone has a clue about sanitary shit?

I have a small question about cold water distribution
can t find anthng on the net -_-

2mo ok I ll try to translate from french:
1-what s the difference between the distribution from the public network
2-and one with a reservoir on the roof
3-the one that is mix
4-and finally the one with a suppressor
like in the first case you don t have a reservoir?

Most Helpful Guy

• Just ask your question. I assume you are talking about municipal water, not your own well (I have both).

Municipal water gets pumped out of the ground somewhere, or comes from a lake or river. It gets processed, meaning it's filtered, and any chemicals like chlorine are added. This all gets done at one or more locations which may or may not be within the actual service area. Then it gets pumped through pipes to water towers throughout the service area. From there it's gravity fed to the end destination.

All that pumping uses large pumps and lots pf electricity. It can be more than half the total county/city electric bill.

yes but I am asking about the different types of cold water distribution :P
      do you know?
      check update if you want

There are two things in the picture. The center one is a pressure reducer or regulator. It's what I mentioned earlier that is probably for safety. It reduced the high pressure in the distribution system to a lower and safer pressure for the end user.

You have a similar thing in electricity distribution. The main distribution is at a very high voltage. The voltage is lowered to a safer level for the end user. In your home you might have 240 volts. But the distribution might be 10K volts or more.

The right side of the picture is a valve that isolates all the branches in the system from the main supply. If something happens to the plumbing inside a building, the water can be contaminated. The valve on the right prevents that contamination from getting into the main water supply and affecting other buildings in the area.

Another application for the thing on the right (I don't know what it's called) is when you have two separate water supplies.

Remember I said that I have both municipal water and a well. It's illegal for me to connect those two. They don't want water from my well getting into the municipal water supply. I can use a valve like in your picture to isolate the water from my well from the city water.

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a Private Opinion
    Only the asker and the opinion owner can view it. Learn more

What Guys Said 15

• What exactly is the question? Cold water pipes are usually separate from hot water pipes but they follow the same path throughout the house.

yes this I know :P
      check update :P

yes exactly
      but I am confused about the first 2 examples that I cited
      like in the first case do you need a reservoir too on the roof?

Well as I said, if you're connected to the city's network whilst also having a reservoir on the roof, then the one on the roof is usually used for pressure.

• Is this an architecture question?

• Cold weather kills germs thats why hospitals keep it cold inside. Applefan1 says Hi by the way

hello!
      but what does this have to do with anthng XD

I left it before you put the update on

oki dokie
      do you know the answer though?

• Sanitation systems?

yup check update please :p

xD no problem. Ill elaborate abit more

In the old days water towers were used to provide pressure to houses, in the same way a reservoir is used, houses also had a head tank to further suppliment the supply (in rural areas they still do actually). However in modern times you can fit a pump into a small hole in the ground, so they place these under manholes instead so you dont need them in urban areas.

As for the supressor, I think you mean regulator right? Those are valves that are used in buildings that are close to the pumping station because the water pressure is too high there. The closer to the pump you are, the higher the pressure because less people are taking water out of the main pipe.

thanks man :)
      the suppressor is like a pomp that makes the pressure bigger so that the water can reach the upper floors
      if the pressure of the distributor isn t enough

• You just came to the wrong place to ask your question. Nobody is an expert here. Why don't you contact the professionals in your area? You will get a better , detailed and scientific reply.

• A suppressor? Are you referring to soemthing like a well? That would of natural minerals in it.

hmm?

yes I know that ;P
      oki thanks anw :)

Anytime sugar 😉😜

• I'm not here to do your homework lol ;P

it s not my homework really
      more of a research

research you have to do for your work at university... it's the same 😂

with the right words you should easily find what you are looking for. check out the water distribution in new york... they are known for having reservoirs on the roof. I'm sure you find all 3 there

I searched lol
      plus all of the opinions no one gave me my answer anw
      yea I ll check

• Cold water is good to drink on hot days.

true story

• Try me

check update :P

Hmmm I'm sorry. I cannot help you. Have you tried YouTube? Sometimes they put some educational vids on that.

yea I didn t find what I need really

• Are we referring to chiller units? Or airconditioner units?

• What's the question

• Can you translate further?
    I mean water distribution is fairly simple, same with firefighting grid.

• this place is filled with perverts and sjw feminazis you'll not find your info here

• shit is not very sanitary.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 1

• I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but do you mean like if you just used the water you get from the water main as it was? Because if you did direct distribution from there, then you'd only get normal water pressure, which might not be enough to distribute the water throughout the building if it was more than a simple house and especially if it was a tall structure:
    http://inspectapedia.com/water/1509s.jpg

That's where the reservoir on the roof, as you say it, comes in:
    image.slidesharecdn.com/.../...al-palve-25-638.jpg
    With this, you don't have a problem with the pressure lacking, since the tank is overhead and it just lets gravity do all the work.

I guess sometimes you combine the two to reduce expenses and maybe lessen the disadvantages of each while still getting their advantages. For example, in the indirect or tank system, there's a need for more pipes and also a stronger foundation to support the huge overhead tank. Meeting halfway using direct distribution from the ground up and then indirect distribution from the top down would lessen pipework, and only needing enough water reserve for half of the building would lessen the water tank volume and therefore the weight that would need to be supported, etc.

Then there's the water booster pump which 'boosts' up the pressure of the water from the water main so that the water can go up and be distributed throughout the whole building. It would look just like the first picture, only with a pump in the basement, although it doesn't necessarily have to be in the basement either. Maybe that's what you mean by suppressor? I mean suppress is practically the opposite of distribute in this case. :?