Willing to be ghost writer?

If paid handsomely, will you agree to be ghost writer?

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been a ghostwriter before. I'm forbidden to name the actual books (so don't ask) -- but, I can at least say that I've ghostwritten a few autobiographies, and a couple of books under fictitious "team" author names.

(The most famous example of this second thing is the Nancy Drew mystery books, which were written by "Carolyn Keene"... ahah. "Carolyn Keene" is actually a group of at least 20 different people, both men and women, who wrote the various Nancy Drew books. None of whom were actually named Carolyn, or Keene.
    I haven't written YA fiction -- and the Nancy Drew books were all written by the time I was 9 or 10 years old -- but, that's just an *example* of what I mean by a "fictitious team author".)

__

Ghostwriting AUTOBIOGRAPHIES was... not boring. It was not boring at all. In fact, it was INCREDIBLY interesting, and VERY emotionally intense.

Basically, you had these people, who had these stories that they wanted to tell the world -- but they felt powerless to tell these stories *themselves*. And the stories told by the media weren't the stories THEY wanted to tell. So... the stories just stayed inside their hearts and souls. Waiting, for... a storyteller.
    Like me.

The first step in ghostwriting autobiographies was... earning TRUST, and emotional intimacy, from people who were extremely reluctant to hand out trust and emotional intimacy.
    That was intense enough -- but, then, there was the storytelling part.

When you ghostwrite, you're working with someone who REALLY wants to say something -- but REALLY doesn't know how to express what she/he wants to say.
    Those conversations are INTENSE. They scream. They cry. They get pissed at YOU for... not understanding all the subtleties of what they want to say the first time, and for having to search for other ways to get the right message across... **even though that's exactly why they had to hire YOU to write their story**.

Srsly... It was almost like being a psychotherapist. The people whose autobiographies I ghostwrote, had absolutely NEVER thought through their stories in as much depth, or from as many perspectives, as they did in those pre-writing conversations.

I have a letter from one of these clients, framed on the wall in my house. This client was... a VERY difficult person, who drank a lot, and got really angry, really fast.
    This client ended the letter with:
    "Thank you for making MY life so damn interesting."

... Wow.

__

Also, it pays well, and you get paid upfront.

That's cool! How did you get into that? I'm actually quite interested in learning more.

Tx for the MHLuv <3

Welcome.

What Guys Said 14

• No thanks I like my pieces and stories to be known and for people to know that I was the writer and I don't like people taking credit for my work.

What do you need a ghost writer for anyway? if your paying handsomely, it certainly isn't a small project, I'm guessing a book of some kind?

• What exactly is a ghost writer? I mean, I'm writing a story of my own at the moment but I don't know what that is.

You woukd write books and stuff but you wouldn't use your real name an some other person is credited for the work.

Books are published under an authors name who isn't actually a person who exists. Sometimes it's a series or collection and they're written by all different writers who don't take any credit in name.

The Hardy Boys books were written with ghost writers.

@Sara413 oh no. I'd like my name on it.

• Yes I would - I would prefer not to be known

• I would refuse :/

• whats a ghost writer?

It's basically being paid to write for other people without letting your own identity to be known meaning people will never know you wrote the stuff they're reading.

What ghost writing? lol no I like people to know that I wrote something when they read it, not a fan of being in the shadows as a writer.

• Why not. But who will pay me a million dollars? Because that's what I cll a handsome figure.

• depends

• What's a ghost writer?

Writing for others on payment without letting your own identity known.

• people typical pay people in like the Philippines or wutever. $250 for a book. perfect English.

• Yes why not if paid handsomely.

• My time Is worth $250/ hour to do the jobs I have so if you wanted to pay me more than that sure I guess I would

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 5

• Ghost writing would be terribly dull.
    The whole fun in writing is coming up with your own ideas and plot twists!
    Although, if you are a reporter or history style of writer then ghost writing isn't too far off... but definitely not for me.

• Sure. But by payed handsomely, you must be talking a lot...
    And for a sample chapter first to be done - which is also payed, of course, handsomely.

• sure. Iv'e always wanted to write.

• Definitely!

• i guess so