Has anyone ever gotten through strong suicidal thoughts and depression?

I've suffered from this, years and years of feeling suicidal but i eventually got through it. But has anybody else gotten through it and living a better life? One of the biggest reason's i felt this way was because of my looks, ya i know people are going to say I'm in self- pitty but I'm not. I got through it and found positive enlightenment in life so any big causes for strong suicidal thoughts to appear?

Most Helpful Girl

• I have chronic depression caused largely by genetics (strong blood line of depression from my mother's side) . With medication, I'm completely normal and fine. Yes I go through periods where I am depressed but I can control it and it is much better. With therapy, I've also managed to overcome hard times. I highly recommend those 2 options for treatment of depression and always remember that suicidal thoughts is NOT normal. You need to get help for it if you feel that way.

I'm not suicidal anymore I've been positive for 2 years now. But ya sometimes i would think about things i lacked in and it would get to the point where i would feel so bad about myself i would cry and feel suicidal. I know it's weak for a guy to cry but it was a powerful state of depression and suicidal thought's, it sucks but I'm doing way better than before.

As long as you are better than before and making progress, you're good. You should be proud of yourself. It's not weak for a man to cry. My boyfriend has cried in front of me many times and it made me actually have MORE respect and compassion for him as a person. It takes strength to face your emotions!

Ok thank you for your kind words. Ya I'm doing way better now than i did before and I'm happy with myself because always in the past i would talk negative about myself saying that I'll never get a girlfriend I'm too ugly, im not goodlooking, im not fit i had a negative attitude building up. I soon came to realization that i need to change the way i think and eventually with time thing's got better me. Instead of telling myself I'll never get a girlfriend now i say hell ya I'm worthy and i can get a girlfriend haha my mindset has changed.

Most Helpful Guy

• Mhhhm, slightly, couple years ago, I had left school, I had no qualifications, family was struggling financially, I was obese and honestly ugly as fuck. I started feeling suicidal almost all the time, even just back in July I actually had the police come to my house and discuss it with me because I told some girl online about how I was feeling and in concern she phoned child protective services who then phones the police and tracked me down, haha (I was 17 at the time).

I'd say I'm happier now I guess, and I can attribute that 100% to a girl I met, honestly, if not for her, I would still be genuinely suicidal all day.

Don't get me wrong, I still have to take anti depressants, I'm on Citalopram (I think you Americans call it Prozac?). And if I don't take it I do have very bad days but. I think that girl has honestly been the best thing for my mental health.

I wouldn't say I'm completely out of, because I do feel so shit and hopeless quite often, but, from 15-17, when I was obese, no friends, ugly, coming home and just sitting alone all night. To now, it's definitely gotten a bit better.

What Girls Said 3

• Sure have. It's tough, but I keep pushing through because things have to get better.

• i've been through this before and still sometimes go through this

• no I haven't

What Guys Said 4

• Yes but not strong like you mentioned but it did crossed my mind.

I had severe depression and anxiety 2 years and during that time was filled with so many negative emotions about my self, most of it was intense self loathing feelings.
    What got me through it was to keep on pushing through everyday, to keep looking on the bright side and to not listen to yourself and not to let it consume you. Positivity is an amazing thing.

I suggest you go and do stuff that makes you happy. Wether it might be playing games or making something etc, just do it and make goals to push through and defeat it.
    Also go and talk to someone you can trust. Even though it may feel like no one cares, there is always someone that does care for you.

• Believe me it isn't something that just disappears from life it's just something that gets easier to manage

• not really.

• Yeah, it's really hard to fight but you can get through it!

Gotta force yourself to do things that are fun, and you gotta figure out why you are depressed... bad job, need a vacation? and take action!