Do you Believe wanting to "Change" your Gender is a mental illness or appropriate?

A question for social justice warriors

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't believe that you're born that way. I believe it stems from how you were raised & the experiences you go through from the day you are able to remember. All gay/lesbian people I know, have had very difficult lives.

They have been through things I cannot even begin to fathom, so I feel genuinely sorry for them. It's very possible that their experiences, coupled with insane amounts of stress, have caused chemical imbalances in the brain, leading to them becoming gay/lesbian.

Sure, there could be lots of other causes behind it, but I'm just stating my opinion based on what I've experienced & seen.

All the gay people i've came across, including the ones in mainstream media have only talked about how easy going everything was to be a protective demographic. Many argue that they want to just be apart and not seperated out as the left have done. The left also argues that gender is a social construct and contradict themselves by arguing that transgender people are born with the wrong brain

I've started to doubt the concept of "born this way", that concept is actually fairly recent. A lot of gay journalist have themselves tackled it, including Milo Yiannapaulos as a product of the left

i have gay friends and most have been raped and abused in some form or fashion

Most Helpful Guy

• The only person I personally know well who transitioned, did so before I knew them. They were identified as intersex but raised one gender, and then switched.

It's all well and good to act like that's super rare, but it's... not. Like 1% of of people have some level of intersex. About 1 in 45000 babies they have trouble determining gender at birth. That works out to like what, 7000 americans? I mean that's actually quite a lot.

I'm not a SJW, but my answer to your question is, it can be either. I think there's no doubt there are some people (some intersex, maybe not all) who seem to clearly have a brain gender that doesn't match their body. In some of these cases they're able to show a brain physical nature that reflects what's typical for the other (in terms of say white/grey cell mass, etc.)

There are also undoubtable people for whom it's a mental illness, in some cases linked to trauma.

It's unpopular, but the answer to this is almost certainly both. My own view is that there's also a group of people on tumblr who simply want to be special snowflakes, and are really just tomboys or effeminate men, and that should be fine, without us having to regard them as non-binary.

I hope as we talk about this more and collect more data, we can get better at identifying people and likely outcomes. To some extent, regardless of the -cause-, the question is, would hormone therapy and surgery radically improve this person's mental state and ability to function? For the mentally ill, often they simply hate themselves and won't be happy post surgery. For others, they're -very- happy after. If we can figure out with younger kids which they are likely to be, then we can know faster whether to treat with therapy, or to hit with hormones etc. pre-puberty when they are even more effective.

What Girls Said 9

• I don't believe it's a mental disorder at all. It's a physical disorder which can be easily corrected. When you have a brain of one gender and the body of the opposite gender it's hard to cope with life. I have 2 nieces who are transgender. I actually have cried many tears over my brother's disowned daughter and it has driven a wedge between my brother and I as I was one of her enablers and encouraged her to be the girl she really is. Most of us knew as a toddler that she was a girl, my brother was just too bigoted to accept her.

• That was a good video. Yes, I believe that if they have had gender dysphoria since childhood (before puberty) and it has been diagnosed by special doctors who deal with it, then it is ok for them to change. I think its really hard to do anyway, I think there are lots of barriers they have to go through before doctors let them do it. But, I think there are also practicalities involved. If they change as adults their bones are already masculinized, so they will never look female unless they have a small bone structure... so maybe for those people it would be best if doctors just helped them to try and cope with living as their birth gender rather than change. I guess it's easier for girls who transition to boys... except I think its harder for surgeons to make a penis for them...

how special would the doctor need to be to diagnose it when science has no support for the idea of transgenderism?

They have special gender doctors who deal with it don't they... I don't know whether science really supports it or not. But when you watch documentaries of kids with it then its obviously real. Doctors wouldn't do such things if it wasn't real.

• its a person personal choice

Do you support anything a person chooses to do if its their personal choice?

i am neutral on this

• I am neutral on this. It doesn't affect my life or anyone else's, so I don't care.

• I think it's an unusual desire, but it isn't a mental disorder. Just some people wish they could change sex, or they try to dress, make up and wear prostheses so that they look as though they were of the other sex.

• If it's sincere and something they've had since they were kids then it's cool.

• Well I think gender and sex are the same so, mental illness...

• I honestly feel like it's a disorder

• What if these people were a different gender in a previous life?

So this life time there was a Bruce Jenner but in a very recent previous one he was a girl! So, in this life time those feelings are still there and then he eventually "changed" himself back

On what evidence? there is no science that agrees with it. Check the links below

What Guys Said 20

• Seems logical - I would be the same way about most things that girl is entitled to her opinion in the same way all the trans people are - It is only when there is such unnecessary conflict and people reacting to each other - A lot of the so called "Situations" could be very easily resolved without drama on both sides - There is this big vast expanse called "The Middle Ground" that nobody wants to populate.

• I'm guessing you already believe being trans is a mental illness but want to create an argument, troll.

I honestly don't care and you shouldn't either.

safe space

I'm not trans so I don't need one or am I an sjw. Trolls like you just suck on this site, get better at it.

Damn, 5 down votes for being neutral about trans. I guess you can't be neutral these days, everything has to be black and white.

• I used to think it was just a socially approved delusion, but I read a very interesting book, "What you can change, and what you can't" and I think the author is right. He notes that some things about ourselves are harder to change than orhers, and that a person's gender identity seems to be among the hardest change. he *theorizes" that in the womb, when the fetus starts to turn from female to male (we all start out female), it does so in three steps.

One step is to turn the female fetus male.
      Another step is to prepare the fetus to find females attractive
      And other step is to make the fetus identify as male, or give it a male self image.

His theory is that if all 3 steps go well, you get a heterosexual male. If the step to find females attractive fails, but the other steps work, you get a homosexual male, and if the sexual identity step and the physical steps work, you get a guy who thinks he's a girl in a guys body.

The interesting part he points out, is that there is a type if intersex where the fetus has an XY pair, amd SHOULD have been male, BUT due to a small genetic flaw, the cells do NOT react to testosterone. As a result the fetus looks exactly like a girl except the vagina ends in a blind alley and they obviously can't have kids. What else is interesting is that these woman, and nobody even knew until a few decades ago that they WEREN'T woman, look just like any other woman, but they are almost NEVER lesbian.

He conjectures that since they're immune to testosterone, they never undergo whatever change it is that lesbians go through, possibly in response to maternal testosterone, that causes the to be attracted to women, as a man is.

• There is no objective definition of "mental illness", there are only social conventions on what people find weird enough to label.

There is no hard separation between nature and nurture and it shouldn't matter anyway: they want to do something that will make them happier while it doesn't make you less happy, so why the f*ck should you have a problem with that and why should you have to know why they "really" want to do it?

• DSM actually classifies this as mental illness. Bruce/Kylie Jenner is a man.
    www.dsm5.org/.../...20dysphoria%20fact%20sheet.pdf

• I have gotten hate for this before but I do believe it's an illness.

• They used to say it was a mental disorder but that became politically incorrect. It is still sort of treated as such but they say the cure is not to fight it and to accept it by allowing and enabling the person to be as much like the gender they want as possible.
    Personally I dont mind what a person does as long as they are happy and not hurting other people.

• I lean more towards mental illness, sorry PC folks. :-P

• the bottom line is if God made you a man then guess what? your a man and it's not up to us to change that same applies to females.

• Transgender is a mental illness, it's all in the head. Mutilation surgeries and hormone therapy is not the way.

• todays society there is mksxed messages about the roles of men and women often thrre is gender confusion.

yeah, science has branded it gender dysphoria and the left on their route to getting more crazy haven't even decided what gender is.

on one end they say gender is a social construct... on the other they argue that some people are born with a male or female brain

• It's not something I have any experience in so I haven't got a valid opinion really.

• man I don't know i dont really care either but that dude at about 0:25 in the vids lipstick is not ending right in the middle and its slightly bothersome

• It's a mental illness.

• It is absolutely normal. Even surgery to change gender is advisable

• It is a mental illness.

• Some people born with illness

• 2 causes mental
    and spiritual

but end of all things its wrong

• I am curious as to what it feels like

• sometimes the hardest thing in life, is learning to accept who we are