Is anything you do in the workplace as complex as school?

I hated how much I needed to use my brain to do well on tests in school.

Honestly? I hope nothing in the workplace is even remotely like that

Most Helpful Guy

• Think of it like exercise.

You train and run and it sucks right? Well after a while you're able to run 4 miles no problem and 8 miles is pushing it.
    -- If you had run 3 miles? You'd be okay and if you had to run 7? you could do it.

Same with test taking, it's just exercising your brain, ability to think and endurance to do so. Not only translating to your performance at work but in every day life decision making.

The thing is... my University average was a B.

Not amazing, not bad either. It was higher, more like high B+ which was super good for my program, but it started to fall because of circumstances.

So sometimes I feel as though will I be 'able' to do a certain kind of job?

Lots of companies have a B minimum for applying to their positions, so it means that a B person can do the job, but more often than not I see graduates with amazing grades who work there.

SO I don't really get it... is school just a phase and then once you're educated and all the workplace complexity is lower?

I never minded working hard. I just hated having to use my brain too much.

Most Helpful Girl

• I understand what you mean.

What Guys Said 3

• It depends on the job. It can be waaaaay more complex. Nothing I ever did in school or college comes close to the complexity of some things I've done at work. A lot of work is just routine. But other times it can get very involved.

Which job is it that you've done, if you don't mind me asking?

I worked in a specialized are in engineering. At times the complexity can be unlimited. It's only limited by your ability to think it through.

Think of a game of pool. The balls are scattered around the table. Now you hit a ball. The first ball hits a second ball. The second ball hits a third, which hits a fourth. By the time you expect to hit the fourth ball, the first ball is no longer where it was originally. The first ball might be between the third and fourth ball, so the fourth ball never gets hit because another ball was in the way.

Now what if you have a hundred balls on the pool table? What if you hit the first ball hard enough that it continues to travel for five minutes? It hits more balls which travel for five minutes, each hitting more balls. Now every ball is moving and hitting each other.

What if your job is to know the position of all those balls, and you had to do it in your head? You won't be able to do it, but you have to do the best you can.

@Eridan

As far as I know, the reasons the tests are as hard as they are, is because when you're young it makes sense for your brain to be sharpened as much as it possibly can.

That being said, I highly doubt that anyone no matter how clever can spend their whole life being challenged the way they are in school. It's not healthy, and it's not realistic.

I think when I actually start working I'll probably realize the difference

• Some people just aren't built to be intellectuals. You might benefit from reconsidering your career choice.

I don't think you understood my question at all.

You take so many complex courses in school. EVERYONE gets exhausted from studying.

So when you're done University, sometimes I wonder whether that same level of mental exhaustion is required to do a job.

I highly doubt it. But I have never worked in a professional setting os i woudln't know

"What I fear about the workplace is how much of that booksmartedness, rote memorization AND pure brain power as in reading a textbook and 'getting it' instantly, is needed "

It goes back to my original answer. It depends on the job. You are probably past most of the hard core rote learning, but you can't count on that 100%. As for pure brain power, you definitely can't count on that, because it could easily get much harder. Again it depends on the job.

I hate to go on with this. You are obviously concerned about it and I don't want to demotivate you. Just have faith in your education. The colleges are in touch with the community and get lots of feedback. The universities will change their curriculum in response to that feedback. You will continue learning the rest of your life, but what you learn in college is what you need to get started. You'll do fine.

I graduated with a B average, not bad not exactly amazing either.

I did lose my good studying skills after taking 2 years off and going back to school.. however, I also noticed that I was a bit weaker with quant. based courses as opposed to qualitative courses.

It did make me wonder if it's unrealistic for me to consider a career, say for example, like investment banking. I don't think it would disinterest me, if anything I've always wanted to work with that kind of clientele (oil and gas industry etc.) Plus I used to ace the projects in the quant. work it's the tests I absolutely hated and suffered on.

So I don't think I'm a dumb person at all, but it is a bit problematic for me.

• it's not I think school is pretty dumb and expensive

What Girls Said 0