Why are people afraid when they hear the word Satanist?

When i say i am a Satanist, everyone imagine's immediately that i sacrifice goats to a full moon for my lord and savior the Devil... WTF is wrong with you people : before believing bullshit how about getting to know what Satanism is?

Most Helpful Girl

• Can you please PLEASE. Read the first couple of sentences. You SACRIFICE GOATS to your SAVIOUR the DEVIL 😱😂😂😂 on a full moon. I feel like twilight just missed a part in their movie. Hahaha. Omg or what if you piss a satanist off and they kill you with their dreadlocks 😂😂

On a serious note.. I think of it negatively because it's the devil. I don't care if people believe in him or not. But he represents all things evil. And there ain't nothing good in evil. You're not going to get shit being all dark and gloomy in life. dats all. I don't care if your practice it. But I'd rather stay away from them.

well before you continue saying shit... let me educate you.
      There are 2 kinds of satanists... those who are theistic (who believe the Devil is real and have their own dogmas and rituals like the Church has) and the Atheistics (who simply follow a philosophy of life). Now you stay away from them because of Satan in Satanism... but that is being very close minded, stupid and having a prejudiced mind.
      Now, let me finish with a bit of Fictional Cutlure : Arch Angel Samael, wanted freedom and equality with his father and was forever villainised for it... was thrown out of heaven and became Satan (or Lucifer = the bringer of light in latin).
      Final question : if Satan really was Evil incarnate... why would he punish sinners in Hell? wouldn't be a HUGE party down there rather than torturing the souls of those who haved sinned?

@Imbisexual19 thank you

Most Helpful Guy

• Because most people don't realize it's just a bunch of people mocking religion. When believers think Satan they think the devil and hell all that stuff.

I don't really see the point though.. Enough people already fear and misunderstand nonbelievers without the satanism label included even if it is taken as a joke. It's not a joke to people who believe. What may be just silly stories and mythology to you could be a horrifying reality to someone else.

I've learned it's best to walk on eggshells around believers when it comes to the issues. It's already hard for many to think an atheist can be a good person living an enriching and full life. If you add satanic imagery on top of that it just alienates people more. Show them who you are through your actions and if people have questions then answer them. Mockery is just as bad as when a religious person automatically assumes your life is meaningless for not believing in their particular god/gods or religion. It certainly doesn't foster understanding or communication. That's just my opinion of course.

What Girls Said 14

• Only superstitious people are afraid, atheists don't care about Satanism or any other religion, while true believers usually have faith that their god/goddess will protect them from the Satan (or any other Demonic creature).

• Lmfao I was at Carls Jr. A while ago and this old man was so horrified by my appearance that he started chanting bible verses at me. Church teaches you some dumb shit😂

• Because I assume it means that you're a devil worshipper which goes against pretty much everything I believe in. I'm not afraid of you tho. I feel sorry for you.

Captial Satanic Sin NĀ°1 : Stupidity... You volontarily decide to stay in your ignorance because all you see in Satanism is Satan : a fictional character that supposedly is evil incarnate.. In the Bible yet I didn't see Satan kill anyone, God killed around 3 billion though. Satan (or the arch angel Samael) wanted equality with his father and refused to love Humans as much as God loved them. For his freedom of mind and speech he will forever be a Villain? (if he is truly a villain... why does he punish sinners in hell? )
      Question everything you are told... don't just accept "one truth"... accept all sides of the truth.

@zagor why of course everyone has heard of the rajneeshees outside of oregon (i'm french) #sarcasm so that doesn't have any value

@CHARismatic110 a comment on the video?

• Anton LaVey is where it's at.

• Can you explain what it is? I've heard of it but I don't know what it is.

• Um because satanist typically worship Satan and for me that's the opposite of what I believe

see? exactly what i mean... idiots... we don't worship Satan (not if you follow Anton LaVey)... There are 2 kinds of Satanists... the theistic kind (where satan and god are real and basically the same bullshit as the christian church with dogmas, rituals and masses) and the Atheistic kind (like me)

why SHOULD they though?

So they can go to Heaven. (Btw I'm not interested in debating this topic since I know you don't believe in it anyways so I'll just link this here: www.born-again-christian.info/...be.born.again.htm and have a great day!)

• I don't know what Satanism but from context clues I'm assuming it means to worship the satan. And I think others think this too and because of this people are afraid of satanists. To be honest this word isn't very cheerful

it is made that way on purpose xD to keep idiots and people who DONT want to know (because of the name) away. Only the curious and the open minded dare to ask and to understand

How productive of you!

I try to understand before i criticize

• I admit I do get afraid but maybe cause I don't know exactly what it is. Please do explain :)

Satanists, (of the Anton LaVey variety) are people who follow 11 rules and 9 sins... they are free thinkers and sexually open to "normal standards", they are also for the most part atheist. They don't believe in any god and question everything they are told.
      for more info don't be afraid to visit : www.churchofsatan.com/eleven-rules-of-earth.php

also much less sexist than Christians in their doctrine I believe (not that christians are a good benchmark of morality-they vilify the woman by page 2... lol)

@feminismisnarcissism Indeed ;) we promote equality and free spirit. Sex is not a taboo, as long as you remain within the law and have a partner that has given consent, you are free to do as your heart desires

• I just looked up what satanist is and it was bazaar and freaky to read and I'm not a satanist and I would never be one I'm a Christian and I believe god

• Well, I'm an atheist so I don't really care. Haha

• How long You're a satanist?

• 😅 well what is satanism...

www.churchofsatan.com/eleven-rules-of-earth.php
      (you can start by reading the 11 rules and the 9 satanic sins in the Theory / Practice menu)

I'm not christian 😂

sorry i mistook you for someone else

• Hell no! 😂

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 21

• Why don't you just say you're an atheist? lol

With a name so sarcastic you shouldn't be surprised when people react with prejudice.

and that is the entire point, although i had a little bit of faith in humanity where i thought they would have the sufficient brain power to try and understand rather than stay clouded in biased judgement... like humanity has done to the Black people for around 300 years... oh wait i just realized how stupid i was of believing that... :/

• Because Satanism meant something very different for almost 2000 years before LeVay re-defined it into a self-is-God, carnal, secular form of bastardized Buddhism.

• I am not since I am an atheist and don't believe in religion. Usually that stuff scares religious people. What I do kind of fear are the people who take that satanist shit seriously you never know what people with that mentality could do to you. I don't believe dark magic, vodoo, or any of that other stupid shit but what I do believe in is that they might want to try and kill me or put me in severe physical painful discomfort.

• 1|1
  • doesn't make me afraid. After all, Satan is the moral figure of the bible. He may be the "bad guy" but he tells the truth ("gain knowledge from tree") and murders zero people in the entire book/library. Meanwhile the supposed moral character, the "good guy" lies in the garden ("you will die this day") and murders almost 3,000,000. I'd assume a Satanist is more moral than a Christian any day of the week and twice on Sunday, all else held equal.

THANK YOU SIR !!!

Satan is really the Prometheus character of the bible-he's the one, the god or demigod figure that HELPS humans... giving them knowledge. just as Prometheus gave humans a godly power-fire. Same shit.. except in every OTHER religion, the helper god of man is LOVED, REVERED... only in CHristianity is the teaching to despise the one helping them... creepy

he was a free thinker, rebelled against god and got shunned because of his free spririt... That is why i love Richard Dawkins' quote on the god of the old testament : "The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." - Richard Dawkins

• Because they only hear the devil referred to in sermons meant to demonize certain aspects of society believers don't agree with. Very few believers actually know their scripture outside of what their pastor reads to them. The devil did some pretty nasty stuff to Job and his family, but if you read, it was because the devil told god that Job was pious because he was so well off. God then replied, basically saying, I'll take everything from this man and he'll still be pious. Don't forget, according to scripture, god made everything, including the devil. Also I may be wrong but the devil only ever kills like 10 people (Job's family), encouraged Adam and Eve to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil (seems he was doing them a favor). What did god do? Well lets see. Not counting the flood that killed literally everything that wasn't on the ark, he only killed around 900,400 people. No wonder the devil rebelled. I haven't read much into satanism, but (no offense) their scripture and mythology are probably just as contradictory, nonsensical, and just as downright bizarre as the other religions. But, I could be wrong.

@FrenchyRomain P. S. I don't judge you anymore than I judge other adherents to to other religions. Religions and gods are invented by humans. You may agree with that, I don't know. From what I've heard, the satanic bible is actually much more moral than the holy scripture of the three monotheistic religions.

The only point where you are wrong is that satanism in the Anton LaVey sense of the term isn't theistic at all :)

That's why I said, "Religions and gods are invented by humans. You may agree with that, I don't know."

I actually read a bit of the satanic bible before I went to bed last night. Liked what I read. But I wouldn't call myself a satanist for the same reason RedThread wouldn't. Plus, I only got a few paragraghs into the book of fire so I really don't know anything at this point. More just beginning to educate myself on it.

• I know that Le-veyan satanism doesn't condone that nor do that they actually believe in god or satan.
    It really is sex-ed up objectivism and does really condone assholery

• well technically, Satan is Gods bouncer, he does the dirty work.
    I mean the boucer is just working for the big guy, they have that whole good guy bad guy thing going, but god couldnt keep his "im so good, kind and holy" act if it werent for the devil doing all the punishing bad souls.

At least Satan isn't a hypocrite. He just tirtures souls and stuff, so yeah. Its like liking the CIA guy whos like "yeah I waterboard prisonner, so?" over liking the director whos like "we would never condone such a horror, everyone we encounter is given free party hats balloons and gets to participate in controlled diving games"

Both are kinda psycho. One is just honest.

well in the Bible Samael was a free thinking arch angel who wanted freedom and equality with his father and was forever villainised for it. And to be honest, if Satan really was evil incarnate, why would be punish sinners in hell? wouldn't he make the BIGGEST PARTY ever down there? xD

Thats just showmanship. Its not like he punishes sinners and welcomes good guys too. No he's the supermax warden for all douchebag souls that dont prepurchase their tickets to clouf unicorn land. The story tells it like you say, like he's devil incarnate and theyre rivals, but it makes no sense to specialise in punishing bad guys if he's gods rival, he's clearly doing gods dirty work so he can have the whire beard and look like a kind sabta, while getting millenial tortyre fest briefs from satan when they have anhel beers and shoot the shit talking about bbqd zebra souls

• I'm not afraid of them but I don't particularly like them, since I know what it's truly about. At regarding true Satanism which far surpasses the modern kind in age and what they do.

Satanists don't sacrifice goats to a full moon though, I mean do you have any idea how expensive a good goat is? not cheap.

• Simple. Satanists worship Lucifer--the archenemy of who most Americans worship. Satanists are our enemies.

• Do u believe in Hollywood Satanism or Wicca?

Lol, Wicca is not Satanism...

@Femdomina I'm sorry if the truth hurts but Paganism was indeed called Satanism. I've used the term with the two Wiccans I've known on GAG, as well.

Nope, paganism was never called "Satanism" (only Christian bigots call it that way). In fact, compared to Wicca - Christianity has more relations with Satanism (they both use cross and their holy book called Bible).
      I don't know why are you lying to yourself, no Wiccans on the GaG would ever call themselves "Satanists" (unless they are fake Wiccans).
      Did you read the link I've posted? Did you try the quiz made by the Wiccans? No, you didn't, you know why? Because you don't care about the truth, you are childish little brat, just like your avatar indicates, little bunny :P

• I am not afraid of them.

None of them have given me much reason to respect them.

• Because satanists are angsty atheists or total morons. They aren't much different than Christians if they are theistic satanists but Christians are morons too. The difference is its unlikely you were raised that way so you are willfully ignorant/moronic.

• where not afraid just sad
    i told you already

you believe a lie

• So what kind of satanist are you?

• When I hear people call themselves satanists I cringe in embarrassment, not fear.

I have to admit, I find myself agreeing with some of the "commandments"(I forget the proper name) and "sins"

Rules of Earth and Satanic Sins ;)
      Thank you for staying open minded...

• Whenever someone identifies as a satanist I know they are just trying to get more attention.

not necessarily... don't judge before knowing ;)

"destroying someone" -> show no respect for those who don't deserve it
      "mating signal" -> sexual consent
      "lair" -> home
      If you can't read between the lines... i can't help you

Destroying someone = not respecting someone?

If you seriously need code language like that you are less mature than a 15 year old. That doesn't even make any sense "destroy" is not even close to that.

• Yea, it's worshiping the creator of evil. The god of evil, lol. What do you think it is?

Yeah, go on churchofsatan. com and understand just how wrong you are

Not at all... not the version of Anton LaVey at least (founded in 1966) at least you took the time to read ^^ thank you

Still a pretty misleading name in that case. Maybe you guys should change it then you wouldn't get so much hate.

It's like if Jewish people called themselves "homo-stoners and lamb killers" it's just a really bad name xD

• soo... you don't sacrifice goats then?

no i don't

Yeah, i really like most of them. I don't know about 7 tho i don't mess with magic

"Magic" As Anton LaVey says is not what you think Magic is... it's little tricks people use to obtain what they want. For instance : saying a ring possesses magical properties people will have a different attitude towards you or towards the ring : it is manipulation. Reverse Psychology to obtain something you want could be called magic according to Anton LaVey

• I'm an atheist so I usually see Satanism as a joke to mess with Christians.

I'm always surprised whenever I hear about actual satanists. I have no idea exactly what it is, or what they believe.

I went to that site you gave: www.churchofsatan.com/eleven-rules-of-earth.php

Seems more like a philosophy than a religion. Some of the rules are a bit weird though. Does it have traditions and rituals and stuff? That'd make it seem more like a religion. Also what the hell does that have to do with Satan? Why is it called Satanism?

1. Satan represents indulgence, instead of abstinence!
      2. Satan represents vital existence, instead of spiritual pipe dreams!
      3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom, instead of hypocritical self-deceit!
      4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!
      5. Satan represents vengeance, instead of turning the other cheek!
      6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible, instead of concern for psychic
      vampires!
      7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than
      those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his "divine spiritual and intellectual
      development", has become the most vicious animal of all!
      8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or
      emotional gratification!
      9. Satan has been the best friend the church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all
      these years!

Lol so it's basically just a regular philosophy and the guy who came up with it called it Satanism just to piss off Christians? Hilarious!

• Because the first thing that comes into my mind is death. Just like what you said.

Then why do you not learn, be curious and understand what your prejudiced mind tells you?

Satan isn't evil, he punishes sinners doesn't he? How is that being evil... he helps God in that case. Lucifer (the bringer of light) brought knowledge to man before the Christians changed his "role" in the World. Tell me what you think of this quote please :

The Roman god, Lucifer, was the bearer of light, the spirit of the air, the personification of
      enlightenment. In Christian mythology he became synonymous with evil, which was only to
      have been expected from a religion whose very existence is perpetuated by clouded
      definitions and bogus values! It is time to set the record straight. False moralisms and occult
      inaccuracies must be corrected. Entertaining as they might be, most stories and plays about
      Devil worship must be recognized as the obsolete absurdities they are. It has been said "the
      truth will make men free". The truth alone has never set anyone free. It is only DOUBT which
      will bring mental emancipation.