Do we need stricter punishments to help reduce crime?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Most crimes occur from social problems like mental illness or poverty. We're better off working on those problems than throwing more people in prison.

Most Helpful Guy

• better education and less poverty will. there are more men in poverty than women, and men are doing worse in school than girls nowadays, more men are a the bottom of society than women. this explains the difference in crime between men and women.

poverty is the number one cause of criminality. if it does not go away criminality cannot be decreased.

What Girls Said 1

• No. Research makes it bluntly clear that doesn't work, and that it disproportionately affects colored people. It's a racist policy not based in fact.

What research? Why do you jump straight to racism?

Except in practice, that doesn't happen. Fucking look it up. Colored people get harsher penalties for the same crimes, with no explanation other than racism.

But you are talking when the punishment is not set. The question is about a set standard of stricter punishments.

What Guys Said 6

• I don't think it's that easy. Unless by strict you mean like instant penalty of death. That would at least cut down on repeat offenders.

I mean, we're able to reduce crime with out resorting to that and have for the last 5-10 years while our population has steadily increased here in the US.

• I think analysis needs to be done to see why some crimes are being done but yes things like drug dealing for profit should get life sentences or greedy financial crimes should be hit hard for instance. I am in the middle of the two options

• Carrots always work better than sticks... Good opportunities create good lives. No opportunities create desperation. Desperate people do desperate things...

• No what i think is that women should be punished just as harshly as men who do the same crime, that's what i think.

• no yes

• No, need a bigger carrot not a longer stick