How many atheists are genuinely offended?

When they sneeze and somebody says bless you. Or if somebody says stuff about Christmas and jesus. Things like that.

I mean, I've heard of it, I've read people talking about it, but I've never actually come across something like that in real life. Surely people know bless you and things like that are just what people say, being polite, even atheists say it and I'm sure other atheists must get that. I like seeing things from others point of veiws then I can understand why they're offended, but I genuinely genuinely can't with this one.

So if you feel offended when you sneeze and somebody says bless you, please, explain why.

• I'm an atheist and it offends me
  • I'm atheist and it doesn't offend me

Most Helpful Guy

• I am an atheist but i want to believe in Jesus and god.
    Soo even doe i dont believe, i pray and respect the people who believe in them.
    I know that if i pray most likely no one is gona hear it up there, but i still do it, because i have hope that the world is not that unfair and that there is a home for the good people up there. And when for exemple i help an old lady and she says "God bless you, young soul" i take it as an thank you and there is no reason to be offended. Now you can insult people with religion for exemple "God will cut you down", "You will go to hell because you are atheist", those are insults whatever they are based on religion or not, the people who use them want to offend you.

Most Helpful Girl

• Doesn't offend me at all. The bases of the comment is not usually meant as a religious poke. It's just being courteous.

What Guys Said 16

• Atheism is not a religion. So there is no framework or written belief system involved. That means no two will be exactly the same. I don't care what people say and do.. it is not my business. I say "Jesus Christ" and the word "God" often as they are part of my lexicon, even though I don't believe in them. There are problems in the world and these things are not even on my radar.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8nyrz0O1Qk

Most will say they're not offended, but try having an even tone conversation about anything relating to God with one

there's nothing to converse about tbh

@zoooot depends on how simplistic the world view that is being engaged with is i guess. I often see atheists responding to the same really simple questions online. Most people become atheist as kids from around 11 to 18 (after being devout believers as it goes), it's more so a soundbite culture that isn't the most intellectually engaging

except it doesn't really depend on anything. you simply can't debate that which does not exist

religion is a man made concept. if all human knowledge somehow got lost, religion would eventually come back, and it would perhaps be similar to the religions that exist today, but it wouldn't be exactly the same.
      science would also come back and everything would be figured out just as it is now.

the simple fact that multiple relgions exist (for the ones that still do, hundreds of others haven't made it) says enough in itself

at the age of 11 to 18 most people learn to reason, that is all that that is

• im not "offended" by it.
    saying "bless you" is more like habit than anything related to religion. i know thats where it comes from, but that doesn't mean saying it makes you religious. its just a thing you say when someone sneezes, its not a big deal

as for Christmas and other "christian" holidays, most of these aren't originally christian holidays to begin with. christians just stole them from other religions and renamed them. it doesn't matter anyway, i get a day off and thats fine

what does offend me is that these people 1. have kids and 2. teach their kids that god exists

we have a duty as humans to learn about how the universe works and religion actively works against that. religion is an outdated concept that has no place in today's society. it is evil.

• It actually works both ways - I am an Agnostic but sometimes I could say something like "Oh My God, what a surprise" (part of me goes "Am I a hypocrite?") - No in the great scheme of things nobody notices. It would be the same for people of two different faiths as well.

• I have never been offended over that even though I'm atheist. It's just a reactionary phrase that most people don't really even associate with God. I mean, I say oh my god all the time even though that's not what I mean.

• The figures of speech, courtesy, and politeness don't offend me. The tongue in cheek condescending fuck you that is, "I'll pray for you" everytime a believer loses an argument or when people discover you're atheist, question you and don't get the answers they expected. That offends me.

Creationism being taught in public schools. Ten commandments on public land. God on the money. God in the pledge. God in the voting booth. God in the government and minds of those who work for it. Unfair treatment of those who don't share theistic beliefs or lack them them entirely from the government, military, or corporations. These things offend me. But a bless you when I sneeze, or a merry Christmas from a passing stranger or in a store, no, I don't care.

I love it when I think of a short and simple way of explaining things after writing out a long response.

It's like how we say sunrise and sunset. Virtually everyone on earth knows that the sun actually isn't rising in space. It's not moving through the solar system. The earth rotates on it's axis and orbits around the sun. This creates days and nights. Just like sunrise and sunset, these greetings and courteous sayings have their roots in religion, but we know they don't mean what they originally did and that people are simply being polite.

In the case of merry Christmas. I still celebrate it. Just in a secular way. I celebrate, Yay Free Shit Day!

• Only if it's a bunch of junk about jesus and magical junk. I can accept you believing it, even mentioning it on occasion, but I can't have a conversation with you about it. I'm just so not interested most of the time and don't want to hear anymore about it.

• As atheist, I don't care whatsoever.

I mean, they wish well; yes, they do it with their stupid superstitious background to it, but still. I usually respond with polite "yeah, thanks" and then move on.
    If a silly superstitious person wishes you well, what's the point in being angry?

• I've always been an atheist and nothing offends me.
    Personally I find religion to be extremely funny. The fact that adults can be convinced of such silly things...

• Where's the "I'm not an atheist" option?

Anyways, I'm an atheist and no, it doesn't offend me. I think people are being stupid if it offends them.

Because I was asking atheists, so that's who i included in the poll maybe...

Maybe people who aren't atheists want to see the results.

That's a shame. If some are very desperate to know how many are offended, I can post the results when this question closes.

• Non atheist, but I'm curious to see the results.

• i don't care.

• I pull out my glock jam it between there eyes and say what the fuck did you say

• The vast majority of atheists aren't like that. They don't have a problem with people having their beliefs; they just don't want those beliefs forced on society as a whole. Another thing people seem to forget is that many atheists come from a religious background (as I do), so religion isn't exactly a foreign concept to atheists.

• Nah, never even thought of it as a religious thing. Even if someone says bless your soul it's fine, even though I don't believe in souls or anything

• It doesn't offend me because I live in a world outside of Tumblr and Reddit.

Ohh so that's where it's from? I've seen it around a lot and seen forums where there's always a bunch that talks about how terrible it is to say bless you lol.

There are a LOT of militant atheists on Reddit lol

What Girls Said 3

• It triggers me all the time I need to get to my safe space whenever someone says that

• no lol I say those things too and I even say oh my god

That's what I thought. It's just a thing everybody says. Atheists might even say stuff like "ohh I pray I don't fail this test" or something like that. It's just a phrase like. It's so weird if people are, I don't get it.

tbh I don't think religious people say certain things like omg thinking of God haha it is like only an expression

• If it offends anyone, they're fuxking retarded.