Why do liberals look down on conservatives?

There have been numerous studies showing that the most highly educated people who have MS, PhD, etc tend to be more liberal. Also apparently, some of these studies showed high IQ has a general positive correlation with liberal ideologies.

Maybe this is why, but most liberals sound like a bunch of snobs who think that they're better than the rest of us. Why do are they so stuck up and condescending?

Most Helpful Guy

• Several reasons. Mainly liberals as a group have little to no understanding of what conservatism is. I've found this to be the case even with highly intelligent, highly educated liberals.

There is massive misinformation out there about conservatives. A lot of liberals have the strangest ideas about conservatives, ideas that if they actually thought about it aren't even possible.

One point is that a much higher percentage of conservatives used to be liberal than the other way around. Liberals tend to me much more narrow in their point of view and understanding. As they age they see a bigger picture and have a better understanding about how things work. It's well known that people tend to become more conservative as they get older.

Not only is liberalism easier to understand, but a lot of conservatives understand it better because they used to be liberal. That group includes most conservative baby boomers which is a very large demographic.

(Admittedly a lot of young conservatives don't understand conservatism very well either, but that goes for both liberals and conservatives.)

Liberalism tends to be more emotion based, whereas conservatism requires more thought and understanding. "Poor homeless man, let's give him food." That's emotion based. "Why is the man homeless and poor?" That requires thought.

One problem with politics in regards to liberal vs conservative is that modern politics is about ten second sound bites, catchy phrases, etc. "Poor man, let's feed him." sparks an emotion that fits in a ten second sound bite. To explain how a welfare system creates more poor, rather than less, doesn't fit in a ten second sound bite. So the emotional debate, and capturing the hearts and minds of the people tends toward one-sided debate.

Accusing conservatives of being racist for being against millions of illegal immigrants fits easily in a ten second sound bite. Explaining the negatives of massive immigration, and all the ramifications that have a domino affect throughout society requires a tome. But hey, just point fingers, make accusations of racism, ignore all dialog that requires more than ten seconds of thought, and score political points (votes).

Of course people would rather read or hear a one line humorous quip, and don't want to be bothered with the effort it takes to actually understand something.

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course more educated people have degrees. Now take out degrees like black studies, feminism, etc. that make money and see who there will be more of. There are more conservatives making higher amounts of money so there will always be more conservatives in the higher earning degrees.
    Now liberals more stuck up because they read these statistics, and think they're smarter then everybody else.
    To people who no doubt will downvote this, tell me how I'm wrong!

What Guys Said 26

• Remember how parents sometimes get upset with the education system because schools now just give out stars for signing your name and really dislike all the feel-good bullshit. Those parents are rightfully uptight because the real world is a dangerous place and getting things right is important and getting things wrong can lead to disaster. In other words, these parents want their kids to understand that there are consequences for their decisions, words, and deeds. By being all wholesome and not exposing kids to negativity - that is, by coddling to kids - the kids are failing to understand the real adult world.

Well, many liberals are tired of generations of stupidity from many conservatives because the decisions, words, and deeds, by conservatives in power and media are threatening human existence. By being condescending, that illustrates 2 things: First, that exasperation from years of lack of progress on major issues. Second, using logic and facts don't seem to work, so "taking things down to their level" is what is necessary. No matter how stupid people may be, they understand schoolyard politics.

I mean, look at this:
    www.lavocedinewyork.com/.../...7-media-620x430.jpg
    For those not in the US and for those adults who are in the US and stupid, Medicare is a US federal government system of socialized medicine. So, the person who made this sign 1) doesn't understand socialism, 2) doesn't understand Medicare, and 3) doesn't understand socialized medicine, yet this person has the ability to vote and her vote counts just as much in national elections as someone who does know all these things. Unfortunately, God loves the stupid because there are so many of them and, because of all that stupidity, the lives of intelligent people are being wasted until the stupid people either die off or learn.

By the way, the biggest socialist program in history? The United States Department of Defense - the socialist program mandated in the Preamble of the US Constitution.

So, to those who are stupid: Stop being stupid; it's very unbecoming.

Gee, so the retired are supposed to not be upset about the Obamunists taking from a program they paid into their whole working lives, set up ostensibly to benefit retirees, and spending the money on current non-retired people? What could go wrong?

@Curmudgeon Well, I agree in a way. Obamacare is Frankenlaw - an iconic example of an Aesop Fable in which attempting to please everyone pleases no one and not all of the critical objectives are being met. There really ought to be a single-payer system if not a public option. As for paying, that's what taxes are for. However, something that is not occurring in the health care industry is the use of monopsony which can be used to drive down prices considerably. Also, there are just tons of inefficiencies and redundancies all driving up the costs. The key to quality is the minimization and control of variance. Don't get me wrong, you should be free regarding your health care, but when you need complicated infrastructures to pay for dozens of different systems in dozens of different jurisdictions, there is oceans of waste.

Meanwhile...

If you want to save money, contact your Congressman requesting cancellation of the next big and obsolete-by-the-time-it's-built weapons system - the B-21 designed to replace the B-2. At minimum, the B-21 will cost 100 billion dollars but, for the same reason that the B-2 is becoming obsolete (more sophisticated enemy radar techniques), the B-21 will become obsolete too. So, all that money is a waste. As an engineer who may benefit from that weapons program, I thank you, the taxpayer, for giving me government-sponsored welfare. However, like you, I am also a taxpayer, and that weapons system is a waste as is the piloted bomber as a weapons platform. Saving the $500 billion or more that the B-21 will cost would go much further toward the public good in healthcare or other critical programs like infrastructure.

• It's not snobbery. Liberals are forward thinking, trying to make society better for everybody. We can't understand right wing minds because they seem to be against the progressbof society and humanity. Over the course of the last 10-15 years I have seen right wing politicians from Canada, the US, and just recently England who have made terrible decisions. The recent one being a conservative in England who put forth the motion to get Britain of of the Eropean union... what an idiot. The EU is a great thing to have in Europe, all those small countrirs coming together, working together, but all that right winger wanted was more money for his country, more money for his government, more useless and harmful policies and ideas for the right wing.

Stephen Harper was Canada's last prime Minister before Justin Trudeau, and he was terrible. Again a right wing politician. ruined relations with the United States, and you don't ruin relations with your biggest and nearest ally and neighbour. He built a 'fake Lake' for no reason just around he time of one of the G8 or G20 summit. And I believe the event was about the environment, or at least it was a major topic. So he tore out all kinds of wildlife to build this lake for nothing.

Right wingers are in it fr themselves, they want people like them to do well in society, but nobody else is of consideration.

I don't know whrere you live, but if you watch Donald Trump from the USA, you will see that he never discusses policy, he only tries to undermine Hillary who is his opponent. Because right side politics are not for the average citizen, they only work for those who are rich, and those who are doing pretty well in business. Stephen Harper dis the same thing when he ran against Justin Trudeau. He would have TV commercials that would scrutinize Justine, rather than speak about his policies and beliefes, he would take little snippets of a speech Justin made, and I mean cut sentences in half, and use those half sentences as remarks Justin made or a beliefe that he has, when that isn't nearly the whole sentence or speech he was talking about. A weird and not real example would be...
    Left wing candidate "I would pay a million dollars to see that movie".

Right wing opponent would turn that into:
    "Left wing candidate says 'i would waste a million dollars to see a movie' where is your money going? Vote conservative.

Right wingers dooo people into voting for them, with hate, making somebody look bad when they don't.

at least Trump doesn't lie in his supporters' face. at least Trump wants to make America better and not scam Americans.

Reagan was terrible, Lincoln and many right wingers back then were much closer to centre than they are today, so he doesn't count

"Lincoln and many right wingers back then were much closer to centre than they are today, so he doesn't count"
      :I

You forget that the government isn't controlled by the president. Or, at least, it isn't supposed to be.

• Because conservatives are the dead weight of humanity.

Imagine you have your own home and family, and with you in this home is a 5 year old. Now try to imagine if every decision you make has to be approved by the 5 year old. All the stories of boogey monsters from this 5 year old must be "respected" and taught along side reason and logic. Imagine not being able to go to the hardware store to buy things to fix up the house, not being able to buy food occasionally, and not being able to buy the medicine you need (for both you and the 5 year old) because the 5 year old stomped his feet on the ground and insisted you spend all your money on a nerf gun.

• i'm a Liberal Democrat/Green, i never judge people, i'm sorry if anyone's ever made you feel this way, but most of us are just normal people, we might get annoyed at what some of the more extremes of politics is doing, but that's usually due to us thinking there's a lack of thought about it, you know, considering history, you can have your opinions, many educated people i know choose to be conservatives, or Labour, or Greens, or at a stretch UKIP, but that's all their opinions, and i respect their choice for that, i might not be fond of the extreme parties, because they're extreme and reckless, but again, you're welcome to your opinion, and i'm one Liberal that won't judge you.

• I agree with your premise on some liberals but I have always said book smart doesn't necessarily mean street or social smart. You would be very lucky in life if you went through it without meeting someone who didn't have same view as you that is where the saying "Agree to disagree" came from. In fairness to both sides, some conservatives can be quite withering in their opinions on liberals as well. I think both sides should try to be as accommodating as possible when it comes to any discussion.

• 0|0
  • Liberal can't accept a difference of opinion. In my experience, conservatives are happy to just agree to disagree, whereas liberals have to make everyone think and act the same as them.
    And when you factor in success as well as education, it is balanced if not conservative leaning. You'd have a hard time finding many liberal millionaires- bear in mind I'm talking overall political stance, not just social issues.

Here's the thing tho - when it comes to social issues like gay marriage, Trans rights, civil rights, etc... agreeing to disagree isn't good enough. It doesn't solve the problem.

Agreeing to disagree favours the status quo.

If civil rights activists had simply "agreed to disagree", segregation would still be a state sanctioned reality.

If today's liberals simply "agree to disagree", they will make no progress towards creating a safer society for sexual, racial or religious minorities. Agreeing to disagree is agreeing to accept the status quo and it goes against everything progressives stand for.

We just want smaller government, lower taxes, and fiscal responsibility... no I enjoy gives a fuck who anyone else fucks.

*no one gives a fuck

• So you ask a question for an explanation, and whoever explains is an ass hole and ignorant and close minded!!

'nuff said.

• I agree with the study, I'm 144 and the older I get the more liberal I get. I think it's because people who have higher IQ's can recognize patterns pretty quickly. Apply that to basically anything and you be able to break it down and understand it for the most part. Human behavior follows certain patterns. Liberals understand that people will follow certain patterns of behavior, they need the freedom to do so. Conservatives don't look at the Macro, instead they focus on the Micro, which is right in front of them. They want to simplify wherever possible. People of lower IQs tend to be motivated by fear. Fear of what they don't understand, and their instinct is to protect, even when it entails conflict. Liberals basically look at the bigger picture and are inclusive. Conservatives are exclusive.

• What other's do is really none of your business. Ex. Abortion

• I don't know, but I agree that they are definitely more pretentious.

• “There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.”--George Orwell

A leftist who wised up.

Keep that in mind.

• Liberals are like those assholes that push the whales back into the water after they swan so far and endured so much pain just to die on land.
    They are smug, self-deluded, over-privileged jackasses with major me-God complexes.

• If I only liked people with a high iQ I'd know very few people.

• Because conservatives are assholes lol

you just proved that liberals are assholes.

Lol, how am I being intolerant. That's conservatives who are.

Total liberal... name calling. lol

• It goes both ways,
    You have to work at not looking down at other people

• Same reason why conservatives look down on liberals.

• and same goes vice versa.

• In general, because they are pretty narrow minded. Though quite a lot of liberals, most feminists for instance, are actually as far away from being liberal as is humanly possible.

• I think it goes both ways.

• cause there sluts

• Because Conservatives seem to always be on the wrong side of history.

• They are not smarter. They probably did those "studies" that show a correlation. I womder what a study of MBAs would show :) which would be the successful business people.

Many liberals have easy money such as college professors (who strap their students with debt), Hollywood types who never had to work hard for money, and the people who don't want to work.

• the same reason conservatives look down on liberals

• Because they think it is dumb to work for a living and think people should either be crooked enough to make a lot of money, or just be satisfied with hand outs and no upward mobility.

• I'm a liberal and I respect intellectual diversity. I don't care what someone's political stance is, I respect them because they are people.

What Girls Said 11

• Because we understand why being a conservative makes no sense.

wow see what I mean? this is exactly what I'm talking about. you're the prime example of stuck of liberalism. it's disgusting.

Nah I just think being a bitch is funny

• Because a lot of conservatives talk about other people in horrible ways. Horrible horrible ways. And I just can't respect someon who wants to make someone suffer just for the sake of suffering.

• You don't even see the irony in this question and it's hilarious. 😂😂😂😂

• You answered your own question...

People who are more liberal leaning, especially on social issues, tend to be better educated and more intelligent all around than your racist, backwards thinking redneck uncle...

you are an ignorant prick. i know many conservatives who went to top schools in the country.

Solid troll game anon! Kudos!

you don't even know the definition of trolling, libertard.

• Because conservatives are (generally) kinds religious and anti progressive. Often basing their thought process off of it. Conservatives are a close minded movement.

• It goes both ways, but does not apply to everyone. I have lots of conservative friends and we get along fine.

• Oh man here we go.
    Another gag political shit storm...

• I don't look down at conservatives. I just don't agree with them on a lot of topics.

• Coz conservatives are fucking donkeys

• Because liberals have credible evidence for their beliefs and conservatives don't (and conservatives are too stupid to discern what's credible or not... they get duped easily by politically and economically interested parties).

To top it off, conservatives are easily persuaded by appeals to their religion and race... And their intolerance for people like themselves.

@Thisperson98 wage gap depends largely on the industry. In general, however, it's typically 96:100 rather than the popular and misleading 77:100 that floats about online.

Shit test passed. Now piss off, not interested in chatting with a teen trying to show off his dick size to an internet stranger.

Why bring my dick size into this? I only allow my future girlfriend to know how big it is.

• I don't look down on them just because I don't agree with them. I just accept the fact that we disagree and move the fuck on with my life.