WHAT DO I DO? I feel so guilty?

My birthday is coming up and I'm turning 16... Well my step dad accidentally said what my present was so they gave it to me early... It was a 4 wheeler. It's cool but the guilt is eating me alive I don't want them to spend that much money on something like that. I ride it but i don't know, I can't leave the two fields by my house... I feel like I wasted their money.

Most Helpful Guy

• This is something that I used to struggle with and I see a lot of other people struggle with. The problem is that what you don't see is that they spent their money to get something. What they are getting is to see someone they care about enjoy having something that she may not have been able to get for herself. It's psychology.

What would make them feel bad is if you never used it, especially if it was because you felt guilty. They would end up experiencing a very similar feeling to the one you do by accepting it.

I used to feel very similar about this when going to someones house and being offered things, until one day, I said yes. And years later, I even asked if I could take one. And now these days I don't feel so much guilt.

The guilt from accepting a nice gift is very similar to fear from; lets say sky diving: You are very scared until you just take the leap of faith and it only get's easier.

So go ahead and enjoy it. Have a great time. Do whatever you want with it and then you will have MADE it worth their money

Most Helpful Girl

• It was their choice to buy that. If they didn't have the money, they wouldn't have bought it. Did you pressure them to buy it for you? Beg and beg and beg for it? If not, then there's nothing to be guilty about!

What Guys Said 3

• I assume 4 wheeler means a car? Why do you feel guilty about that? In other words, why do you think you wasted their money? It was their decision to get you the gift. You didn't ask for it. They could've gotten you a piece of candy or nothing at all. But they chose to get you a 4 wheeler. Their decision. Thank them for it and use it to show them that their gift is special to you.

• Just look grateful for a few years then sell it and say it can go towards your college expenses or whatever.

• its your birthday, they had enough money to get it for you, just be happy

What Girls Said 0