This happened back in 2010 but an elderly french woman got trapped in a bathroom for three weeks, isn't that crazy?

An elderly French woman who was trapped in her bathroom for three weeks has finally been rescued, media reports said.

The 69-year-old grandmother got stuck in her Paris bathroom when the door lock broke, Agence France-Presse reported.

Firefighters broke into her home and freed her on Friday after a neighbor noticed that she had not picked up her mail in weeks and called the police.

Authorities said the woman survived by drinking tap water and was in a "very weakened" state when she was found, according to the reports.

"She was badly malnourished and in a state of shock and has been taken to hospital to recover from her ordeal," a police spokeswoman said Tuesday.

There was no way out of her windowless bathroom so she banged on the pipes in hopes that her neighbors would hear her.

But instead they thought it was noisy workmen and started a petition to stop it.

"You could hear banging sounds, like a hammer, even at night," a neighbor told local media according to the BBC.

"But we thought they were doing work at night. We said: 'They are going too far! They are preventing us from sleeping!' If we had known..."

Most Helpful Girl

• Omg what a story
    I've heard a lot like this since my dad is firefighter

Most Helpful Guy

• Pretty common for older people to die because they couldn't get help for one reason or another. Sometimes they starve to death and literally rot. It's the reason why a lot of people get those medical alert systems. My friend recently made his 91 year old mother get one. She always wears it around her neck. It's waterproof and she even wears it in the shower.

I'm 60 and live alone, and don't get out much. It's pretty common for my neighbors to come over and check on me if they haven't seen me for a while. They don't hide why they are there. They come right out and say they are checking so see if I'm still alive. It's fine with me. It's an assurance. Being incapacitated and laying on the floor until I rot and have maggots infest my corpse doesn't sound like fun. All of us older farts who live alone are well aware of what can happen.

That woman got lucky. Three weeks is pretty borderline to survive without food. At least she had water, otherwise she wouldn't have lasted nearly that long. Too bad she doesn't have better neighbors. Why tf weren't they checking on her? Three whole weeks and nobody checked?

What Girls Said 8

• That's terrible! That poor woman! At least she had water, but that must have been a terrifying experience for her! Glad to hear that she was rescued and is being taken care of!

• We have a ghost here at a restaurant that likes to hold pretty girls captive inside a restroom...

• Ouch it must be sucked for her. Similar thing almost happened to me but thanks God my housemate was around so he helped me to break the door.

• Damn that crazy.

• Poor lady.

• that poor lady

• If only they had known... how unfortunate, it's wonderful she was rescued. A Chinese woman was not so fortunate when lazy workmen and unfortunate timing cost her her life. :/ It's so sad how something like that could happen to someone.

• That's sad, I hope she's doing fine

What Guys Said 5