How do you react when you are in an argument and the other person thinks they can win by using big words?

Most Helpful Girl

• I've thankfully never been in such a situation yet. Not in rl, at least.
    In rl, people who I argue with (mostly my boyfriend, if anyone at all) tend to resort to just raising their voice or making ridiculous statements to shift the blame, versus making points relative to the issue.

How do I react to that? I usually just stay quiet for 20 seconds or something. Let the tension diffuse a bit, let him maybe think over how little sense he just made. Then ask him if he seriously thinks rehashing over whatever claim he made will actually solve the issue at hand, and if so, how. After asking why he's yelling- that I'm right next to him and can hear him just fine.
    cit.h-cdn.co/.../...line-o70xe67pbg1t8wtzm-500.gif

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 18

• Hahaha I feel like they're one of those people who talk and talk and talk and never actually SAY anything. I ask them then, a good question in the simplest of terms I'm certain they can't answer (or fully answer), and watch them squirm.

Awkward, but necessary.

• I ask them for the definition of the words they are using and make them look hella fucking dumb.

• You know, I don't think that's ever happened.

• Think they're extremely stupid, tell them they are, and just walk away. Since it's pointless to talk to them anymore.

• When guys speak with those intelligent words, I just loss it and kiss their smart asses, it's just so hot, I don't know why 😂 And it sucks because one day I was arguing with my ex and he used this intelligent words and I was just like " you sexy bastard"

• Just tell them, using big terms does not help solve the argument

• I mean... I just smirk and shrug it off, that's my go to method for dealing with smug people.

• I use even bigger more expensive words!

• I'm usually the one using the big words.

• I don't like to argue. It gives me a headache, and I don't know why. :/
    Usually if I am arguing with someone, whether they use big words, or not, I would just tell them sorry, and be on my way. 😊

• Just pack my bags and tell them "peace b***h you can't win using big words with me. Leave that to me 😉"

• You can't become right by using fancy words. The other person would have to be an idiot to believe that.

• I'd tell that person to cut the crap and actually present valid and good arguments.

• i ask them to repeat it and take notes

• Just ignore them.

• Give them the silent treatment, ignoring someone who yells and thinks there right will make them feel like an idiot

• I would tell them to shut up you dictionary. Lol😛

• I ignore them, too lazy to deal with people like that or I try to find someone to be by my side and make them both fight each other like this I can escape

What Guys Said 14

• "I don't care about your sesquipedalian vocabulary, its just a bunch of loquacious bullshit."

No, I don't respond that way but I should. My usual response is to ignore the words and continue dismantling the argument since I have a very large vocabulary myself and also am fully aware that using big words to sound smart is a far cry different then being smart. Big words don't make an argument, evidence makes an argument.

• Probably would continue as is and maybe say something along the lines off "stop throwing $20-dollar words around", haha

• I am cool with that if I don't understand a word I will ask what it means - I don't need any crutches like big words to take part in a discussion - When two terms mean the same thing it doesn't matter which one you use to get your point across even if one is 3 letters long and the other is 17 letters long.

• 0|0
  • I kill them with logic and facts and then I do the troll thing to do and dump a bucket of small eloquent and baroque words over them.

• I have never really come to that point yet because most of the people on this site I argue with don't know big words, but I will take it as a win when they just block me.

• I am likely to know more big words than them. I don't do arguments.

• I usually do that. I don't do it to sound smart, but I use "bigger" words with stronger connotative meanings to clearly get my point across.

• I address the argument, not the eloquence.

• I usually catch them out by asking what those words mean. Sometimes they actually know but other times they're just pretending to be smart and actually have no idea

• start using bigger words

• Two can play that game...

• That usually when the other takes the "mature" path and resorts to insult instead of arguments.

• I remember that video it was so funny the first time I saw it.