Mark Zuckerberg puts a duct tape on his laptop's camera and microphone. Do you?

I fiund this quite disconcerting lol but then again he's billionaire, someone who people would want to hack and we are just normal people.

What are your thoughts on this?

Do you have a tape over your microphone and camera?

A lot of people do it by the looks of it, I did not expect that hah probably should have made a poll.

4446

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been hearing it a lot, that people should cover up there webcams. Which is understandable. So I'm sure people are just protecting their privacy etc you can't really do it enough, but just for safe measures, it's understandable

• I think maybe just disconnecting the usb microphone and the camera is better than jsur covering it up Lol

• @singlebee lol I'm not really sure, but if people wanted to do it, they can do it that way Mark did lol but yeah good point, if you want to take things further lol

Most Helpful Guy

• "hack and we are just normal people. "

Buddy, do you know how all these 'hackers' DDOS major companies/websites/game servers? Malicious programs in someones computer, send packets to servers. Hundreds of thousands of infected computers. They can also steal all sorts of information, then it can also be leaked online or sold in bulk to someone who might actually care to deal with a case by case search. A lot of RATs can record webcam and audio, generally in terms of making money it would likely be trying to catch the person doing something. Some may want to record people doing various things and try to sell it.. or blackmail the person. In terms of recorded audio, that's less likely to be of importance if you're not high up in a major company, or have someone with a personal vendetta against you.

Lots of girls tape over their webcams, I use a desktop so I no webcam, if someone wants to listen to me talk to people about random shit I don't care. I'd say tape on the webcam and turn your computer off when you're not using it is your best bet. Also if you're that worried about it, a factory restore generally clears anything out.

What Girls Said 43

• When I started using a computer with a built-in webcam (all in one unit that was basically a desktop PC in a giant tablet configuration) an ex hacked me and spread nude pictures all over (joke's on him since he was severely chastised on most sites for posting "fat chick" pics). I know it had to be a hack because I never turned on my webcam. If a friend wanted to video chat on YIM when it still had that feature I would make sure it didn't automatically activate my camera before accepting (and I know it was an ex because I found these pics on sites I know he frequents).

After that I didn't put tape over my webcam. I opened up the computer and cut the wire. When I upgraded to a better computer I went with the classic tower. I lost the touch screen functionality but I rarely used it, anyway. Now my computer is 100% web-cam free.

• That's really horrible but you could have used him for spreading nudes of without your consent.

• I'm not the litigious type. Really I've known about his hacking for quite some time. It's a little game we play to this day. He's not as computer literate as he thinks he is so when he gets into the sand box I keep set aside for him he thinks he's all in.

It's how I got him thinking he was going to be a daddy after the breakup (he knows I archive all online chats so I left a few "chats" with a friend laying about in text files), it's why he's going crazy watching over his shoulder for an arrest that will never come (as long as he doesn't do anything to actually warrant an arrest), and it's also how I gain access to ensure that at any given time his 1 tb hard drive is at least 60% full of gay porn, most of it right there on the desktop for his current girlfriend to see and some of it in the form of screensavers.

The cam was just an oversight. The nude pics don't bother me because as a nudist most of my neighbors have seen me naked, anyway. Strangers don't bother me.

• He is not only Rich, but Not... Stupid. He Knows what Goes.
    Yes, my Roomie and I have Always taped, way Before this Guy did with his own Sly Try.
    Good luck and Great News Feed. xx

• Oh yay he uses Macbooks πŸ˜‚ He knows what's good 😎 Although you already do have an a lot slimmer chance of getting hacked at all when using a Mac it's always better to be safe than sorry. I have a tape over my camera because this one time a friend of mine hacked me for fun, called me and told me what I was wearing lmao so creepy, not my micro tho.

• I hope bo one is spying on me πŸ˜‚
    Since I wander around naked with my cam on to watch myself πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚
    Yea I am weird hahaha

• I don't. There is not really a point to it. If you virus scan once in a while, you'll know average people won't be watching. The only people who might access you after that are not interested in you unless you are murdering children or discussing launch codes in front of your laptop. No one is going to watch 6 hours of you looking at your screen every day. Mark Zuckerberg is a rather important person so it's not weird that he covers it up as he might have important secret information. You may not have your privacy but don't think anyone is actually interested in seeing what you are doing. They're not watching.

• No you really don't. I could put something hidden from AV in your computer, access your webcam/mic. Saved passwords, log all of your keystrokes, even go through deleted files if I felt like it. A simple AV scan doesn't mean shit when you can hide a file from AV scans. You could even pay probably around 5$/month 60$/year to hide said files, if you don't know relevant programming. Watching what you download is the best defense.

• Considering you think 'a virus scan once in a while' combats everything, it seems to you need some form of explaining. Not sure what 'mansplaining' has to do with you being uninformed and spreading misinformation. Or maybe you like to think because you're a girl spreading misinformation, people shouldn't correct you to help inform others? Sounds like a crazy feminist.

• @posted I wouldn't say I'm uninformed. I'm assuming that this will be enough as long as people don't download dodgy stuff, like you said, but that should go without saying. This isn't really spreading misinformation either, what I'm saying is not wrong. It's just not the full detailed story and explanation on how to keep your computer safe. My ex put a trojan on some random lady's nudes before and sent it to people. They ignored their virus scanner to view the pics. We had some fun watching them, but you honestly have to be very retarded to even fall for that. My point is that people aren't as eager to hack you, some random person, as most people believe. It's not as big of a deal.

• I rarely use my laptop, and I doubt anyone cares that much to see me, haha.

• I don't but it makes sense. I've had my KiK hacked and I was just reading about people are getting their snapchat hacked.

• Lol, no that's dumb. Like, hacking me would be pointless. Like if you want to see me, well I post pictures online dummy πŸ˜‚

Like, if you aren't in government and stuff, there's no point.

• I started after I had my Skype account hacked. People in my line of work get hacked a decent amount. Can't be too careful.

• I use a post it for webcam :D

• Always.

• I don't but I know a lot of people put a sticky note over it.

• I've always done that... Not that tape, but the one I have... more dense.

• If my webcam was on, there would be a light.

• Im surd not always. They would just have to disable that function

• Hackers can access your camera without turning on the light and watch AND record everything the camera sees from hundreds of miles away

• Again I don't think any person would give a damn to use mine.

• Fap materialπŸ€”

• I have a yellow post it note stuck over mine.

• security is important

• No. I don't think anyone wants to hack me. I got nothing but fried to give them

• I have a piece of electrician's tape on mine but I rarely use my lappy.

• I really think I should because my Facebook got hacked and sent requests to people I didn't know.

• Thats horrible but it could have been a lot worse than sending friend requests.

• Yeah I am glad that was worst. I do get spam accounts sending me requests. That suspiciously stopped when I changed my password.

• I use to tape paper or put some blu tac on it because I was scared someone was watching me because the light kept turning on but turns out I kept hitting fn+ C instead of ctrl+ C and it opens the camera program in the background.

• Don't have a laptop. However, the mic and Webcam on my desktop are always unplugged when not in use.

• I have tape over the camera, lol.

• Nope I doubt anybody really wants to spy on me.

• I put it on my computer camera in the living room.

• No. I doubt anyone would ever be interested in spying on me.

• I do have tape over the two cameras on my phone, but not the microphone.

• It's the first time I hear someone do that lol but it makes sense cause almost no one has an antivirus on their phone.

• I know I don't. πŸ˜“

• I do.

• Yes I do..

• Mine is taped off, too. There are just too many instances of people being filmed.

• More from Girls
    13

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 45

• Not the mic but I did blot out the camera.

• That could work, he could do that, but if it was hacked then they can still record audio and "wiretap"

For better results try disabling the webcam from Device Manager if on Windows computers.

Go to here for all the details and instructions: www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-webcam-in-windows

For Mac OS X laptops, you can do the same thing by disabling the iSight Camera, although I only know this method works on OS X Mavericks, Yosemite, and El Capitan:

Go here for more details:

www.fixedbyvonnie.com/.../

or here:

www.idownloadblog.com/.../

• I have mines disabled a long time ago. Since I realized that I really don't have a use for Video Chat or Video calls for now.

• I have an external cam that I keep unplugged. It also has a built in cover that flips over it.

The irony is that Mark Zuckerberg is the spy master, but doesn't want anyone to spy on him. He has no regard for the privacy of others, but wants his own privacy.

• Yup. I wrote a take about this: www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a31288-the-panopticon-surveillance-culture

I think it's very important to do so. Specially if someone wants to blackmail you, they could use footage of you changing clothes or taking a shit. If people are snooping on you and figuring out your social media, bank accounts, e. mails, etc, they can extract something out of it. You don't have to be famous to have people hacking on you. Just have a weak antivirus system, and be vulnerable to it by the websites you access and such.

• I just put tape over people's faces that I meet. In that case they can't see or hear me. Life is good.

• Not duct tape, but I do have a little black sticker on the webcam.

Logically, I know its incredibly unlikely that anyone would have an incentive to hack my laptop camera but its still more comforting to me to have it covered.

• I have. I'm always afraid someone's watching.

• My wife's laptop has no cam or mike.
    I mainly use a desktop. The cam and mike are still in their box.

• It's no secret that the goverment can access your camera and stuff and watch or listen in on you if they want to, so I either flip them off if the camera is on or just turn it around if it's the PS or cover it if it's my computer.

• I don't, mostly because I doubt a creepy guy wants to see me lol. If a girl does, then I hope she enjoys herself.

• Nah, I rarely use my laptop.

Once on Shark Tank, some guy wanted them to invest in a little cover that snapped over the camera. They were like, why couldn't I just put a piece of tape over it?

• I think the fact that's a famous tech billionaire is a valid explanation: yes, he is a high-profile target for various parties.

• But I would like to add that if always have your laptop on you and use it for both work (inlcuding meetings) and your private life it might make sense to cover the microphone and the camera.

• My laptop doesn't have a camera, I don't need it anyway :P

• I put it on my cam, not on my mic.

• No. No one's hacking regular people, unless they were stupid about their personal info somehow. I'm safe.

• Ordinary people are hacked all the time lol, quite a few try to use blackmail methods to get money.

• No since no one cares what I do or say

• No I don't. I have video hooked up but no microphone. If people want to watch me sit at my computer oh well. Im glad to model

• Why would I? I don't flash important information in front of my computer. All the poor fuck would see is me staring at my screen and the sounds of me typing.

• I'm really not that paranoid and if the government wants to spy on me one day then go ahead I have nothing to hide, maybe the will catch me jerking off or something.

• Well who wouldn't, and funny how the guy who pretty much rapes the privacy of everyone on Facebook and says "privacy"is dead" cares about privacy

• lol yes, also the microphone is muted systematically and the camera has never worked. if i am going to install a more customizable OS i will remove the software it takes to operate them.

• Technically if someone hacked your pc couldn't they install the things you deleted?

• yes they could but they would need administrator privileges, and for that they need the administrator password. i will be using a separate password with no privileges whatsoever. so they will need to hack two accounts which will make it a lot harder for them.

• I have it over my camera but that's because i do things that require it.

• I surely will
    Now

• Nope, both camera and microphone can be turned off.

• Why the fuck dont we just have a physical switch that enables the camera? Why is everything digital?

• I agree, or at least have built in flap so that you don't have to ruin the design with a sticker.

• You heard about the NSA and such, right?

• I have a monster sticker from the "import" can they used to make that I have over my camera.

• I don't use a laptop.. I use a desktop and I don't have a microphone or a camera on it πŸ˜†

• I do. I don't use the camera, so it makes sense.

• you know they can see you through the camera he is rich
    the less information they have the better

he wants a calm peaceful life it sounds like

• I generally avoid laptops with this feature. If I Skype it's over the phone.

• More from Guys
    15