Besides the u. s., who is the most powerful country in the world?

who's next in line?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm going to make a slow play for India. India will emerge more as time comes. China has its problems and the U. S. Is all over their ass millitarily. The two are too entwined to be under of each other.

Russia is a problem at best to be watched by its neighbors. They will continue to make land grabs but only small land grabs of tiny portions of sovereign nations so thT those nations can't be one part of NATO. This is how Putin is controlling his borders but his hopes don't end there.

This is not a U. S. Problem this is a European problem and Europe needs to respond. This is t to say the U. S. Won't back Europe but they can't take the driver's seat.

Because of the EU of course Germany is very important. I'm so impressed by Merkel over these past now a decade of years. I'm excited to see her and Clinton work together. I'm honestly just so proud of how he Germans have steered the ship.

The UK I'm concerned for, very concerned only because I don't won't them to lose the financial foot hold and importance they have had for so long. If they cease to be the Wallstreet of the EU I'm fucked. I do business with them everyday and I don't want to move it to France or Germany. I'll move it elsewhere.

why not fr on ge?

I'm sure the Wall Street peole will move to FR or GE. But the product I work in is unique to London. If still be dealing with London but London would be accountable to the continent and this will not do.

They won't understand how to properly underwrite an account yet they will be the financial backer or a layer between us and the backer.

Germans are too conservative and the French just don't care.

Here's just one article.

www.ft.com/.../d08803c2-3b86-11e6-8716-a4a71e8140b0

It gets more complicated but Lloyd's is a cornerstone and I hate to see it threatened.

Most Helpful Guy

• Militarily speaking, it's a tie between the US and China. China has BY FAR the largest standing army in the world. No country can even remotely compete with the Chinese people's army in terms of sheer numbers (North Korea is number two by the way). However, China's military infrastructure is outdated and they're not well equipped. If we compare aircraft carriers for example: China and Russia both own one each. America owns about 11 if I'm not mistaken. Similar numbers are true for tanks and other kinds of equipment.
    Now, anyone who answers "Russia" must have been living under a giant rock for the past 50 years. This is not the Soviet Union anymore people! Russia's days are loooong gone. Russia has been fighting one of the worst economic crises in its entire history for several years now. If it wasn't for their natural gas resources, the Russian economy would have gone belly up years ago. The only reason people aren't out on the streets protesting already is because Putin keeps them in check with his insane nationalism and because he's turned Russia into a dangerous, Orwellian dictatorship. Nonetheless, the Russian troops and their equipment are worth shit. Most of the things they own are 40-year old Soviet utensils. Maybe in the 1970s that was considered the newest standard but nowadays you might as well fight with swords and arrows. Anyone who doubts this can read up on the Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov. This is literally a piece of floating garbage. Every single time it was sent out of a Russian harbor, it had to undergo a year-long repair afterwards. In the early 2000s, it caused an oil crisis close to Ireland. At the moment it's being sent to Syria and experts say it's unclear if the ship will even make it so far without drowning.

Now, politically speaking, the situation is much more complicated. As a unity, the EU has quite a lot of power. So does the US however. The difference between the US and the EU is that the US has lots of debt. In this sense, China is doing really well. The only reason America is still so save and sound is because the dollar is the leading currency in the world. The American government can make as much debt as it wants, it doesn't even matter. However, if you're American, you can only pray that China will not come one day and ask for all the money it lent to America. Because if the Yen ever becomes the new world currency, America will experience something that makes the crisis in Greece look like peanuts.

What Girls Said 5

What Guys Said 25

• Powerful as in military strength? You're not being specific enough here.

As someone said earlier Russia comes next in terms of Military strength according this website that someone brought up earlier as this website has done their homework:

www.globalfirepower.com/countries-listing.asp

Here's their verdict, but there will always be counter arguments and debates. But I do think that the nations that are always going to be at the very top will be US, Russia, China, and India at least for a very long time.

1 - United States of America
    2 - Russia
    3 - China
    4 - India
    5 - France
    6 - United Kingdom
    7 - Japan
    8 - Turkey
    9 - Germany
    10 - Italy

• China or Russia comes after us and then after them the European countries come into play though most of them individually aren't that powerful by themselves but a lot of them are strategically significant location wise so they do have military importance but not for their actual fighting forces.

• What do you mean besides the US?

Even including the US, China is the most powerful country in the world by far.

They have the power to tank the US economy with the push of a button. Literally. Imagine - No money to pay the soldiers, no money to pay the police, fire fighters. No money to pay for school and hospitals. Every bank collapses. Every insurance company goes broke. USD becomes worthless and Americans can't afford to buy anything overseas anymore. All of that, overnight, one button.

If you've been living off a credit card, don't act tough in front of your loan shark.

• Best Korea.

• tthe most powerful country is "israel"
    "israel" even owns the US. who's wars you think we're fighting?

• Possibly Russia, but China has the infrastructure and numbers. Their drones are kinda scary. But japan's tech is up there as well, they just don't have the same numbers.

• Economically: China; Militarily: Russia
    Overall: Russia

• I would say Russia and China with the Chinese growing very quickly.

• Technically not a country but the EU probably.
    Then China/Russia.

• The Chinese then Europe then Japan then Russia then Vietnam then Philippines then Brazil then Africa and then North Korea

• Russia has the military, military industrial complex, and Tech. China has the money, and industrial base

• China. There's no way Russia could deal with a 1.357 billion man march across Asia... The USA has a buffer in the oceans and can sink ships all day long.

• Pfft... the US is Israel's bitch.

• China is the emerging Super Power.

• It sure as hell isn't Turkey. Its probably Russia

• http://www.globalfirepower.com Russia 1st place is usa 2nd is russia

• Russia, then UK.

• Probably Russia.

• I'd say Russia.

• I dunno. China? UK? Russia?

• Russia

• Japan easy mode

• russia
    china
    uk
    india

• Germany