What would you do to survive if the power grid in the continental U. S., along with all non hardened electronics, were destroyed indefinitely?

I came across a book I read, One Second After (I wonder if this is a reference to the TV movie The Day After) wherein terrorists airburst a nuke above the 48 states. It results in destroying the power grid across the country, and all non hardened electronics are fried. In addition to the obvious, cars, boats, ships, trains, all utilities (yes, even gas and water) no longer work. This resulted in the deaths of upwards of a hundred million.

How would you survive? Do you have skills you think might help.

Just musin' tonight.

Most Helpful Girl

• My Roomie and I are already Locked and Loaded, have our Bible Close, Survival Food Started and other Such Supplies to Get us through the Hard times that are Coming.
    Good luck and Great question for People to Prepare. xx

Are you in an urban or rural area? About how long would your current food stash last?

@BlueMax. We are Storing for now in our storage unit. We live in town here, dear.
      As far as Captiols, it is to Emphasize, which is easy enough. lol I also Rhymn It has gotten me Master, hun. xxoo

Thank you for the Vote of Confidence, and Anyone who is Not Prepared for bad Times a Coming, Down Vote xx

Most Helpful Guy

• Go as far north as I can , raid the supermarket for water filters , energy bars , grab a knife , head to the gas station , fill up my spare jerry cans , and then I'll head north , I know of a few first nation settlement , or some rural villages.
    The cities are blackholes , they are never designed to be self-sufficient. It'll be a centre of anarchy and crime.
    The villages up north , they've got fresh water wells , , next to the sea for easy fishing , fields for farming , livestocks , game to hunt , plenty of firewood and guns for protection.
    If the powergrid goes out , going north is the only option.

Transportation. I have a motorcycle. It's VERY good on gas , 75mpg. It's a Honda so you know it's reliable. Probably is how I'm gonna get around before finding a good place to hunker down before civilisation rebuilds.

You wouldn't be able to fill up even once.

I can navigate celestially. I have a sextant.

The problem is, I only have a few actual physical charts and they're all of the California/Baja area. I also don't have a current nautical almanac. There are ways to calculate for the lunar cycle, but I forgot how to do it. And I haven't seen an analog clock in ages aboard a boat.

Hmmm... I was taught this method in the scouts. Say you pick a star , any star. Preferably the brightest one. Stick two stakes on the ground. Now track the movement of the star. If the star rose higher , you're facing east cos , the earth rotates from the west to eat , and so the sky flies from east to west. If the star moved to the left , you're facing north. You get the idea. Not really as accurate as using a sextant but it gives you... a rough estimate of where you're going.

What Girls Said 1

• I would die not having some way to contact my boyfriend who lives in Europe.

Though I live on a farm so I might not be too bad off.

No farming equipment will operate.

What is grown on the farm you live on?

Hay, chickens, and cows.

All of it can still be done by hand.

What Guys Said 7

• I was talking with my family yesterday just how reliant you are on power judging by peoples' reactions to power cuts - On your apocalyptic scenario, I don't know, over the years I have been pleasantly surprised by how adaptive I am - My priority would be to find other survivors so we share our skill sets.

• Ah, Hollywood EMP.

Ignoring the fact it's a story and EMPs don't quite work the way screenplay writers want them to... I have watched a lot of survival documentaries so I have the basic rudiments of survival. I have camping gear but the real challenges are feeding yourself and staying warm.

The author consulted Capt. William Sanders, U. S. Navy, who is an extert on the subject and who stated that the book comports with the known effects of nuclear EMP.

Based on two badly recorded nuclear tests (because they were not expecting the effect) half a century ago.

It wouldn't make as good a story if it was completely realistic.

• I would use my skills as a urologist to fix my dick and find as many bitches to fuck before I go to hell.

• There is a wonderful site called "preparedpatriot. net". They will be able to guide you very well to tackle all types of emergencies. You can buy solar electric generators for such emergencies. You can have a solar system on your roof top , etc. There will also be problem of food. Problem of water. So you have to make provisions of food , water and medicines for a sufficient period of time. A good prepper is always prepared for such emergencies. So start prepping from today.

The electrical components of generators are fried by the EMP. I imagine the photoelectric cells would be, too.

I don't know how exactly they work. But solar generators are getting sold in America.

• You mean like an EMP? That would be the best way to send a country to the stone age. I really don't know what I would do. It would take a long time to replace the power grid and all the electronics.

• first I would travel back home. where I know people. we have weapons for anyone trying to loot, I'm from a farming community and we all help each other so we will be fine

• I'd lock and load and make all the food in my home last as long as possible. After that, I'll probably have to wade through hell to get food.

Millions of others are going to be locking and loading, too.

Seriously, how are you going to get food?