What do you think about ''It is better to have loved and lost than never to have lost at all.''?

Most Helpful Guy

• The phrase is taken from a stanza of "In Memorium A. A. H." by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

The common sentiment applied to the phrase is that it's better to have fallen in love and have the relationship fail, then to never have fallen in love in the first place, which I generally agree with.

However, the poem is actually about the death of a close friend, as the title suggests.

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with it. I've never been in a relationship and I hate the fact that I don't know what it's like to have been in love. People tell me I am lucky because I've never experienced the heartbreak of a breakup but I disagree completely. I'd rather have that then to have never known what it's like to be in love with someone.

What Guys Said 18

• I guess its right to a point. Its better to have had that relationship with someone than for it to not happen at all, but honestly it doesn't make you feel any better when you lose the person.

• i agree. the experienced of a lost love can be painful for sure. but looking back i always felt it was great to be able to have that experience of something so great than nothing at all

• I think you have the saying wrong, but I'll answer based on the saying you wrote in your question. It would be much better to "never have lost at all" than to "have loved and lost." Just sayin'. Now, for the way the saying usually goes --- "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all." --- that's a different story.

• Sorry, but you totally blew the quote!!!

"Better to have loved, and lost, than never to have loved before!!"

Even the correct way, it's still crap, and it still hurts!!
    What moron said that, in the first place?

• I would disagree with this statement to answer your question. But it might depend on the length of the love and how it ends (respectfully and peacefully, with understanding or tragically).

• You said the quote wrong. I wish I never loved at all and never experienced it. It changed me. I'm not the same innocent virgin curious about girls and relationships anymore.

• I've loved and lost once. With someone I knew most of my life. (I have a myTake about her and I.) The good memories outweigh the sadness, though.

• Loved and lost, living with the fact of what if and having the regret of not doing tears you up longer then a broken heart does

• i don't believe that at all

• makes me cringe a lot

• Love lost is a pain... not having is a missing query. Choice is urs.

• All my friends that have been heartbroken says this quote is bullshit

• I think it goes "than to never have LOVED at all". And the saying is bullshit.

• Never loved, lost love hurt tooooooooo much

• Never loved..

• I agree with that.

• The way I think about it is that if you really want to risk it all for love then risk it all on your own terms, but don't expect everyone else to follow you and take those same risks though.

• It's kinda iffy for me because some of my best dates/times with women were ones who used me as a rebound. Like our times together were amazing but how they ended were very shitty as messed up as that sounds.

What Girls Said 1