How do you break a bad habit?

I've had this bad habit since high school. I want to break my habit of slouching. I think gravity contributes to it but what if my insecurity built the habit.

Most Helpful Girl

• It takes 66 day s to form a habit and about 21 days to break it.. so the odds are in your favor! Set reminders on your phone to sit up straight. IF you work at a desk, keep a post it note that says to sit up. Get your friends to help you. In less than a month you'll be sitting up straight.

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel like it's a pretty common problem when one is tall.
    Part of it is being conscious that you are slouching and trying to sit/stand up straight. It will feel a bit like you are puffing out your chest when you stand up straight, but that's alright. Just go for it.

Another part of it is working up the muscles in the shoulders there to help support you and get you flexible. I have a friend who was a sloucher and what he did was set a timer to go off three times per day. Each time the timer went off, he'd stand up and basically roll his shoulders for 10 times each direction. Over a period of time, this gradually helped him fix his slouching habit.

As for sitting, I would suggest sitting far back in your chair rather than at the edge. It places less pressure on the pelvic bone. Sit in a way where the back of the seat helps keep you upright.

Another thing to take note of is how much weight you are carrying in your backpack, and more importantly, how you are carrying your backpack. If you have the straps low, it really makes it difficult to keep good posture. People in high school were notorious of it because they thought it looked more fashionable if you didn't have the straps properly fitted or something lol.
    Likewise, I personally find it a good idea to place a textbook or something hard/flat near the side of the backpack that hits your back. That way, it is a rigid surface and won't bend as much if your posture goes bad.

It seems like a lot of stuff to do now, but that's alright. The important thing is that you start making a conscious effort to do them. For the first however many days, it will take some time to get used to it. You'll be constantly having to check yourself. But, after some time and dedication, you'll start to form this as your new habit and your bad posture will start to fade :D

What Girls Said 10

• You can break any habit if you really want it. You just have to try not to do it and control yourself/your body. It's not going to be so easy for sure but it's all you can do I guess :) good luck

• You replace it with a good habit.

Exactly right. Old habits can only be replaced by new habits. Tht is how our subconscious mind works.

• Everytime you realise you are slouching, sit up straighter.

Make it a habit to check periodically, that your butt is touching the back of the chair, and if it isn't, fix that.

I used to slouch when I walked and slouched a lot in chairs, but then I did first aid and learned a few drills, as a result of that, I began walking with a much straighter back (my friends say I walk like a soldier) and I slouch in my chair less. I still do it a lot more than I should, but less.

• I think a lot of it is all in your mind. Your mind is the center of everything so basically you can rather let your mind control you, or you control your mind. What insecurity would cause slouching?

• Have someone keep track of your slouching. So Everytime you slouch they kick you in the balls. Or something. Something that you'll remember , that way you remember to walk proper so you don't get that consequence. ... That's all I could think about 😂

• I fix it when I notice it and try to develop a new habit to break it (in extreme cases)

• Well it first depends on what you're insecure about, and I don't think Gravity plays too much of a role in your slouching problem. As for breaking that habit, I would start by practicing standing up straight. Don't lock your knees if you do this, you don't need to pass out. And raise your chest a little, push your shoulders back. Keep practicing this and do the same with sitting down as well, chest out shoulders back but not far as to where you looked like an awkward chicken.

• Work out to target the muscles of your back to hold it straight☆

• I have that issue too. Just constantly remind yourself

• By doing not that

What Guys Said 10

• Sit at the edge of the seat

• Try this and see if it can help provide you some inspiration, motivation or incentive to "Break" your bad habit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2H4l9RpkwM

• Find a movie character or some TV person who walks in a confident way and play that role everywhere you go. Pick up their body language and get in that character. It will be a lot easier for you

• Tell everybody you know to point it out to you when you do it. Bad posture is one of the hardest habits to break, it's right up there with heroin. Seriously, it takes a village. Get your friends and family to all help, and prepare for hell.

• Any bad habit can be changed easily if you are ready to accept that the habit is causing you more harm , than good. You need to accept the fact that you need to change it dramatically for the better.

• you need a mirror, try to stand stright and look the difference before and after, and try to do it 2-3 times a day. Try to do some stretches and exercises specially the shoulders and the lower back (the doorway strech for ex.). Increase your neck flexibility, this is from wiki how* ''Try easy neck and back flexibility stretches. Stand or sit straight up. Pull your head back and center it over your spine. Pull your shoulders back and down and bend your arms, moving them down as if you are trying to put your elbows in your back pockets. Push your palms outward and hold for at least 6 seconds''

If you like to workout, or thought of it! It will help even faster and better.

• Hire someone to shock you or bitch slap you whenever you slouch? Consciously try to change it I guess.

• I have that same problem too as it's contributed to my TMJ. I have to constantly think about it and sit in appropriate seats. Eventually you do it without thinking but I find myself relapsing on occasion. Maybe duct tape and a splint? lol

• Damn! Me too! I really want to get rid of laziness, because it's been a waste of time and my life.

Okay, I just realize that we are not talking about the same thing xD

• I have an issue with slouching too. I'd be several inches taller if I stood up straight lol