Is it rude to bring a laptop with you for an interview?

I have an interview tomorrow and I'm thinking about taking my laptop with me. I'm not going to use it during the actual interview - just during the wait before the interview. Is that rude/unprofessional?

Most Helpful Guy

• No it's ok. You can bring it. It's just a little bulky considering these days we have phones and tablets. But it's essentially the same thing if you do computing on a small portable device or laptop. Just a laptop is not as discrete

Most Helpful Girl

• No, don't. If you bring anything, bring reading related to the type of job you're getting. Like if you're going into finance and they have the Wall Street Journal on a table, read that, not People magazine or email or Facebook.

Good chance you're being observed the entire time. Plan on it.

What Guys Said 3

• Do NOT do that! At all. Don't even consider it. It's not only rude and unprofessional, you don't really need it, do you? You can get through a little wait without it. You're being tested. So pass it. =^.^=

I actually do. I have emails, documents and deadlines to meet.

I did say I wasn't going to use it during the actual interview didn't I

You did, but the thing about technology is it has a habit of getting its way. You could get an email and hear a *beep* from your laptop. You're going to be distracted by that, whether or not you answer it. It could be enough to throw you off your game. I'm not trying to be mean here or anything. I'm just trying to explain how I'd see it. I'm a professor. I have a professional job. I've been on many interview committees. But even I don't have all the answers. My best advice is, if you bring it, turn it off or put it to sleep in the actual interview so you don't get interrupted. That way you won't get rattled.

• No, in this day and age, not at all.

• it's not rude but a phone or tablet might make a little more sense.

What Girls Said 1

• I would say you can have it with you but based on your surroundings keep in mind whats going on.. don't be so quick to pull it out whilst you're waiting, your phone is better.