Do you think couples should try to take interest in each other's hobbies?

Or should they just let them be?

• Yes
  • No
  • It depends (please explain)

Most Helpful Girl

• "Try" kind of. You're not really going to force your partner to try if they really don't want to. But trying is a means of showing interest, and if people want to show interest, it wouldn't hurt to try

Most Helpful Guy

• It's nice if you can, but it's tough to just make it happen genuinely. I'd love to watch football with my girlfriend and teach her all about it, but she's just not into it, so I don't want to force her to do something that bores her. Likewise, she watches all her rom-coms on her own time, haha.

What Girls Said 33

• Sure. I see no harm in trying.
    I mean... I'd never force myself to go on crazy bike >100km bike rides with my boyfriend with zero breaks, purely to appease him. Would I make an honest effort and try to meet in the middle by either agreeing to hit 100km so long as we went at a slower pace, or maybe tried my hardest to keep up with him for 50km? Certainly.

Some hobbies will always be individual and that's perfectly fine. It's pretty beneficial for a couple to have at least one activity that they can share and do together, even if it's just cooking dinner as a duo once/week.

• I think overall, yes. My boyfriend is incredibly supportive in my hobbies even if he doesn't partake in them ex) I really love animals and make up and food. So, even though he isn't going to get pets like I have, he might get them a toy here or there and tags me in cute videos of their species. He won't wear make up, but he will send me a video of something cool and will buy me make up on very special occasions and he also compliments me on it when he knows I put effort in a particular look. He doesn't eat the same foods I do, he pretty much doesn't eat spicy foods and unfamiliar flavors-but he tries to cook different foods for me out of love and tries things if I ask him to (because he's found some things he's really liked)
    He loves videogames, even though I don't have the time to game with him all the time (different cities) I game with him when I can and give him space when he wants to game and buy him game related merchandise when I can.
    He also loves certain foods, so, I try to cook those for him when I can because he's super picky.
    He also loves his cats, so, I give them toys for Christmas or suggest a toy I know my cats really like.
    It's about the effort.
    Can I like everything he does and vice versa? No, but finding common ground and trying is the best route.

• It definitely depends!
    If a person is literally physically making themselves like something they don't - it's going to end badly 9 times out of 10.

If, however, you really enjoy that hobby your SO has - then that's awesome and it will bring you closer together.
    Also: sometimes it's the smartest thing to admit you're interested in different things and that you'll do your thing and your SO will do their own thing from time to time - having freedome is extremely underrated - and it's something that keeps the best of people together for a long time.

• Yeah definitely, at least a little bit. I would rather I had a partner who had quite similar or some same hobbies as myself so we can more easily bond over things that we both enjoy doing. But I wouldn't mind getting involved in his hobbies too even if it was something I normally don't do.

• Honestly, am I the only girl who doesn't mind if my guy doesn't?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind sharing in some of my hobbies with my guy but I also value us having different interests that we can do in our personal time.

• well... if that means I need to start paying attention to Doctor Who... then Imma say no.

My boyfriend might be absolutely obsessed with that show, that doesn't mean I have to care about it. Just, show mild interest when he talks about the latest stupid thing the new writer has done and how he hates how casually the doctor uses his sonic screwdriver now instead of only using it after exhausting most other options like he used to do.

Goes the same the other way, I don't expect him to care when I talk abotu Minecraft.

Calling it stupid is kinda disrespectful in my opinion

I didn't call it stupid. I said he calls the new writer stupid. "talks about the latest stupid thing the new writer has done".

How does that not clearly say it's HIM calling it stupid?

• It depends, they can show support towards their partners passions and hobbies without actually picking them up for themselves. But sharing in those hobbies is also good for bonding. It just really depends on what it is and how both people feel about it.

• Unless the one person really isn't interested in trying it and both are comfortable with sharing it, then I don't see why not to take an interest.

• If they want you to try out something new to do with them, at least give it a chance. But members of a couples should still maintain their individuality and have hobbies that they do separately with other friends or alone.

• I feel like it depends. Sometimes its good to do things together but other times, its also good to have some space from your significant other and have some alone time. You don't necessarily have to do EVERYTHING together.

• They should at least acknowledge and accept their hobbies as a normal thing. They can show an interest and try it at least once, but if it's not for them, they should be supportive and considerate about it in the very least.

• Well, I think that just because they're in a relationship with that person, it doesn't mean that they have to be interested on the same things.
    And it's not fair to "force" someone to like or to try something, because their partner likes to do it.
    So, no, they shouldn't try to take interest in each other's hobbies.

You don't agree that it's a good way to bond?

Hmmm it would just feel like she doesn't care that much in my opinion if she doesn't at least try

I get it.
      Like I said, I would try if he wanted me to. If he didn't want, that would mean that he wasn't interested.

• Yah, actually I think couples that don't share the same interests in the first place shouldn't be dating at all.

• Yes, of course. They don't need to get into it the hobbies, but it doesn't hurt to learn more about what their partners like.

• It depends. If he wanted me to try it then sure I would. But I just hope he'd understand that not everyone likes the same things.

• i think so

• I agree with @Triss and @RJGraveyTrain

• Try with an open mind? Yes

• Depends on what hobbies, but they should take at least some effort.

• Not always but they could give it a try.

• Yeah, as long as the hobbies aren't abnormal or illegal stuff haha

• Definitely. They should try!

• Of course!

• Of course, you don't have to like it to take an interest in their hobbies and show that you care.

• Well it depends
    If my boyfriend doesn't have a clue about painting then no lol

• Not if the hobbies doesn't interest you.

• yes, i think it's nice to take an interest

• You should try it but if you don't enjoy it let them have their fun.

• Yes, good way to get to know about each other

• At least try once or twice, having a couple mutual intrests are nice but everyone needs me time

• More from Girls
    3

What Guys Said 19

• Yeah I think they should but I also think that they should have some hobbies that are separate as well since being away from each other and doing your own thing is as important as being with each other and interacting with each other.

• It's forced on me... This bumper sticker explains it...

www.rainbowsendtack.com/.../...ands%20Paycheck.jpg

• If it's real then yes it's great to teach someone about something they are truly interested in. Sharing that with them is a very good bonding experience. If they are just pandering to you to act like they are interested in you, then it's really annoying.

• For sure, like I understand people have different interests and some things don't interest others but one should at least try. Personally I find if a woman doesn't share some hobbies it will be a much more boring relationship. I mean doing things together is what makes relationships fun and great together, but if you have no common hobbies then that would kind of suck.

• Trying to take an interest in each other's hobbies is a requirement. Succeeding in finding them interesting is entirely optional, lol. But yes, you should TRY. Maybe more than once if they're REALLY into it. But if a girl can't get into ancient History with me, I won't hold it against her.

• I think it's the healthy and correct choice yes, or at the very least just try some of their hobbies, you never know you could like it and compromise from both parties is part of a healthy relationship.

• Definitely it helps create a bond

• generally... yes, it depends a bit on what it is but I think you should give it a try and see if you like it

• I think they should acknowledge the other person's interests but no need to take it much further than that if it's not needed

• A family that plays together stays together. Stop not taking interest in your couples hobbies people.

• Absolutely. You will learn about new things from someone with both passion and expertise for them.

• Sure if they actually have some interest in them.

• I would be open to listening to them about if and trying out the hobby.

• Yes they should but they shouldn't be forced to like them. At least try them and see.

• Yes they should, helps martian a healthy relationship.

• yeah, thats always nice. its good to spend some quality time together.

• Yes, some of them. Not every single one. You have to have some common ground.

• Yeah, if she's into macrome, then I'm not going there!

• Yes, being that they should be open-minded. But it may happen that they don't like some of those hobbies, and there's nothing wrong with not liking certain things.