How is it that so many intelligent people believe in god?

Most Helpful Guy

• Even intelligent people want and feel the need for coping mechanisms sometimes. Because they don't want to be cynical. They just want something to believe in and hang onto because it would provide them comfort because they feel that they need it.

What Girls Said 6

• How is there a correlation between intelligence and religion?

All your statement proves is that you are extremely judgmental. Period.

• Lmao I don't know man. I wonder the same thing sometimes. It's most likely because it's how they were raised. Maybe they haven't had any negative experiences personally. The smarter ones usually have more rational beliefs. (ie agreeing with evolution, not thinking the universe/earth is only a few thousand years old, accepting science).

• Because God exists

• Belief -or lack of belief- does not make a person smart or dumb.

• Brainwashed from childhood.

• Why shouldn't they

What Guys Said 7

• That's not true. There's an indirect correlation between level of education and religiosity. The better educated somebody is, the less likely he is to be religious. That is why the vast majority of academics is not religious.

• You can't prove he doesn't exist

• Because they're intelligent.

• BECAUSE if you actually study the bible out
    THE WHOLE ANCIENT WORLD WAS TALKING ABOUT THESE EVENTS
    THAT ARE IN THE BIBLE

this isn't a one area event
    so either you are lying or the while earth was lying

i say you

• everyone needs to believe in something, or someone.

• Because we can form our own conclusions without bowing to peer pressure. God is in my life. If I am wrong it doesn't matter since nothing will matter in that case. I would bet that your friends don't even know basic geography but they feel qualified to argue with someone more intelligent, experienced and wiser about the existence of God. When they can point to Mongolia and New Hampshire they may show signs of basic knowledge. But these types of people would have you to think that they have discover the Grand Unifed Theroy of Quantum Physics when they don't even know why planes fly.

It is interesting how some people insist there is no God but can only recite points off of a website. And why they feel compelled to try to convert people to atheism is beyond me. If I was an atheist I wouldn't waste time on anything since there is only the moment at hand followed by oblivion.

• Cuz they're not intelligent.