Need an Atheist's help! What are some good non-fiction books to read?

I'm on the verge of not believing in God anymore. I've done a lot of research and science makes more sense. I'm looking for some non-fiction books to read to broaden my knowledge. What are some good authors and books?

Most Helpful Guy

• The Bible
    The Quran
    Other Religious Texts
    Charles Darwin "On The Origin of Species"
    Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion"
    Dan Barker "God: The Most Unpleasant Character In All Fiction"
    Karen Armstrong "A History of God"
    Carl Sagan "Pale Blue Dot"
    Carl Sagan "Cosmos"
    Christopher Hitchens "God Is Not Great"
    Marshall Brain "How 'God' Works"
    Paul Kurtz "The Ethics of Secularism"
    Micheal Shermer "Skeptic"

Just a few off the top of my head.

Thank you!!! How long have you been an atheist?

A little biased here

Bible and Quran right lol. There is other religions that exist too right

@TripleAce Yep. I mostly deal with christians and Muslims. I've read into Buddhism and Hinduism a bit. But since I almost never meet them, that's not at the top of my priorities. :-)

Most Helpful Girl

• Look into John Medina his books are great and Neil Shubin tackles evolution in a great way. Freakonomics is good too. Umberto Eco has good philosophy stuff.

What Guys Said 18

• I can't relate, I as a Catholic am compelled to believe in science. Sounds like you're buying into scientism and reductionism rather than logic and reason.

I am a Christian because i find it the most rational belief system and the one that allows me to reason why I can trust any belief.

To be any other belief system, including atheism means I can't even trust my own cognitive faculties for finding truth in anything. I believe in evolution of course, in fact it was a Catholic priest that founded it, preceeding Darwin.

the popularised atheist belief in scientism irritates me to no end. It's intellectually dishonest and bad thought proccesses. I often hear atheists proclaim "no, i don't believe in God, I believe in science and evolution"

First thing... evolution is science and second they are not contractictory ffs. Asking someone to pick between God and science is like asking someone to pick between Henry Ford and Internal combustion as an explanation for the motor car. one is an agent, one is a mechanism. Neither is a decisive answer. There is no authoratirian answer.

If someone is actually interested in intellectual enquiry, they'd seek truth, not through naturalism or scientism (which are contradictory as could be explained), they're not science.

So first, i would suggest reading into your views of scientism and philosophy because you don't seem to have taken a very rational perspective on religion and science. Asking someone to pick between science and religion is as dumb as asking someone to pick between henry ford and internal combustion asa an explanation for the ford motor car... one is the explanation of an agent, the other is mechanism...

an atheist with the reductionist approach to knowledge would claim there is only one answer, but this is a simplistic philosophy that has rose out of the new age atheism (whom grew from 10 to 18 year old converts). A more intellectual approach would be to evaluate on all forms of knowledge

Had you ben born in Saudi Arabia you'd be saying the exact same thing about Sunni Islam and the Quran that you're saying about Catholicism and the Bible now, that is the way of the world...

I get that some people want to believe in "something more", but to think one specific sect of organized religious (which also just happens to be a dominant sect in the environment you grew up in) makes so much more sense than any other of its close relatives is something I'll never understand...

@JohnDoe3000 No, actually I wouldn't. I get where you're trying to come from though. It's the same tiresome soundbite that atheists love to state. Interestingly... I as a Christian am fairly confident I could describe your opinion of what you think I believe in such a way that you would be quite satisfied with. Now, I think as an atheist. You would struggle to be able to do the same with your reductionist worldview. That speaks volumes about the ratiionality of the belief.

The soundbite you're trying to proclaim is that you believe that I am only a Christian becauseI was born into a Christian culture which isn't evidental reasoning. I can say that the reason I am Catholic is because I actualyl studied all religions, including atheism evaluating them on their ideas and coming to terms with the one that makes the most rational sense.

I'm fairly certain that your concept of my belief is that i believe

on the crux of a need and desire... which isn't something I would personally argue or claim. Definitely don't agree with you on that. The environment I actually grew up in was heavily atheist, to be a christian in the culture that surrounds me. albeit an obvious one takes a brave step. It isn't a belief that is respected, but i could have just believed anything that's popular and been an atheist if i didn't take a rational approach.

• I'm not an athiest, but... sure how science makes more sense honestly, but ok.

If you look at God (I assume Jesus/Bible in this case) from an emotional viewpoint, it makes a lot of sense, at least to me. Physically it is hard to make sense out of the origin of man and where he goes, etc.. good you are thinking about it all, but to me it is a "heart" matter.

Maybe Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking? Mind as Healer/Mind as Slayer (not sure if this has roots in Christian).

C. S. Lewis is a good Christian author I hear if you want that view as he came from a non believer side.

• Science and God are not mutually exclusive... and the more science you learn, the more you begin to suspect something might be up.

As for evangelicals of any religion and their holy books, some valuable life lessons and ethics can be found, but most of it is pure irrelevant and incorrect horseshit.

• The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Also selfish gene by him, anything by him really haha.

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens. That guy is just smart as hell lol.

• Why should God AND science be mutually exclusive? Can't both be true? For example: What if God created the universe and THEN the universe evolved based on scientific principles?

You could call Albert Einstein the greatest scientist that ever lived. He believed in God. I understand that he was perfectly comfortable with the idea that both could coexist without any conflict at all.

I don't see any reason to believe that if there is a God that he would condemn a belief in science. Maybe God *created* science!

Well they're theories and in my opinion science used hypothesis to prove these theories, and the pope disproves making hypothesis, and Chritian's already think science is a sin.

@Loadedgamer actually, Christians beliefs and bible verse have helped the scientific community-like blood transfusions, for example: many have died from tainted samples-yet, due to Christians not excepting blood-doctors have had to look into other waste..:. saver ways: www.jw.org/.../#

• That's great news. Means you are once step closer to being one with everyone instead of segregating yourself based on religion

See buddhism books. Not a religion but offers great insight and allows you to be one with the energy around you

• science has only benefited from bible teaching-the refusal of blood for instance. the bible instructs not to abuse blood-which includes blond transfusion-which has killed patients have died from tainted blood samples. because of this-doters have had to look into better alternatives: www.jw.org/.../#

• Immanuel Kant, God theory has their knowledge system too.
    So maybe you want to solve your faith crisis, I think he can help you.
    At least not still being on yes or no even if you are on Atheist.

But god is nonexistent.

It's not an opinion, but it's common sense.

If we can't feel or touch or see or taste god than he doesn't exist.

He's a non living organism or a figment for all we know.

@Sabretooth give me proof how god can be proven. Because if you don't have any, then it's just a theory sadly.

@Loadedgamer the scientific community are divided between those who believe in creation and those who believe in evolution. The theory of evolution is deeply flawed-it would indicate that things just popped up and everything direct themselves. Many believed in the Big Bang-yet I showed one such person how impossible such a theory is-both sides of the scientific community can agree that at one point. This was nothing here... it was completely useless. The Big Bang needed life-which wasn't present. Even if the Big Bang is how everything came to be... wouldn't someone have to direct everything? Think about a house: you have land, materials, and tools... are you just gonna lay everything out on the ground? What would happen?

• 20,000 Leagues under the Sea. I don't know how this helps, but Jules Verne is an amazing author of science fiction.

• "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman (rock star physicist) is a classic that comes to mind.

• broaden your knowledge? lol what knowledge. Being an atheist doesn't equate to having higher intelligence.

If anything you clearly lack intelligence.

"I've done a lot of research and science makes more sense" lmao gtfo

• Do you like to read about the occult?

• Good luck with science. Just remember: instead of putting your faith in men who wrote books about what they saw in front of them, you're putting your faith in men who wrote books about what they saw in front of them.

• reading about biology is always great. or reading about space.

• Denounce atheism and open your heart for God before it's too late!!!

• Mein Kampf

• what are the issues you have with the bible name them please

just give me a few issues you have at a time ill explain it best i can
      scientifically

@TripleAce

okay this is only some of the information
      i can go into physical evidence
      something touchable

but what do you think?

Those who continue engaging in wicked acts. God has a perfect world-a world that can never be with ungodly people

• Religion asks why, science asks how. They are not opposite. You can have religion and trust and believe science, or you can be scientifically minded and still have faith.
    These things, contrary to popular belief, are not opposites.

What Girls Said 5

• Well I prefer cold hard science books myself :^) also as someone suggested Buddhist texts are pretty good. it teaches you to believe in your own capabilities as opposed to depending on one deity in the sky for all solutions and achievements. also Neil Degrasse Tyson is Awesome as well. And Bill Nye! I love these two!

• Well, if you need anything such as that or need information, @relaxrelax is who you should talk to.

• Richard Dawkins is great. I also love anything by Anton LaVey, don't be fooled, Satanism has zero to do with the devil.

• I don't have any book recommendations, but I just want to say that it is possible to believe in God and science - the Catholic church works very closely with new scientific discoveries and I find that they support rather than tear down my beliefs. :)

#team satan!

@Kaazsz you're entitled to your opinion, no need to be rude about :)

He was just saying Team Satan how is that seen derrogatory?

Oh that's right Christians believe that everyone's whose another religion should burn to death.

Oh that is so peaceful.

• If you are an Atheist, you are going to hell for rejecting, dismissing, and denouncing Christ, our savior. You are on Satan's team by default. Please put your ego aside and humbly turn to the light before it's too late.

LOL...

... although God is a Buddhist...
      http://www.hulu.com/watch/266088