In your opinion, do prisoners who have committed a violent crime deserve a second chance?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know what to say about violent crime.. perhaps depends on type, but if they have been in a long time it won't matter because they aren't going to be happy on the outside and will likely return. I sincerely think that marijuana offenders need to be released immediately. Every Fricken one of them. I am embarrassed by our government for locking people up still for those offenses when we have even 1 state that it's legal. Discrimination at its most despicable core there. That is a prime example of a great majority of the laws we have. Shows how blind and/or lazy Americans have become to not stand up for what's right. Maybe Americans have just become to self absorbed like my ex wife. One agenda and it isn't the future of our country.

Most Helpful Girl

• In my opinion I don't think it is only about second chance, but the degree of Justice that is deserved to those that he and she hurt.

For example, for somebody that committed murder could never undo what they did. There is nothing in the world they can do to make it better. The person lost their life and was forced to be unable to live continuously, AND have their lost moments truly be terrifying and painful, which that alone, is unfair. Other things connected to that are the people left behind that have to grieve, or who undergo mental and emotional stress, anxiety, depression, no closure, and severe anger toward what happened. It's the same with a rapist; a victim's body and mind will always be scared, and if we have any sensible justice on the planet, that rapist should do FULL time, no ifs, and's, or good conduct to reduce that time. It's a slap in the face to the victim.

I'm not saying not saying prisoners can't change, becuase as humans we do some stupid stuff we'll regret sooner or later, but if they change, that doesn't change what they did; the damage was done and they have to live with that.

What Guys Said 13

• i believe they deserving of a chance at a second chance

• Everyone deserves a second chance. The problem is the prison system. People with criminal records are set up to live a life of crime after prison and our jails should give criminals a reintroduction into society where they can receive college certificates, training and job placement so they are prevent reoffending.

• Most of the time, no.

So you've never gotten into a fight?

@madelacroix I know it's not done that way currently. I'm saying it should be that way. Ideally that's how criminal justice would work.

Agreed

• I would take it on a case by case basis but my instinct is to say no.

• if they got their sentence then they deserve a second chance... with some limitations.

e. g. I wouldn't let a child molester or rapist become a kindergarten teacher lol

• Absolutely. Most violent offenders are young males from 15-24, which behavior falls off after that to become negligible in their 30's. Besides violent crime is not just rape and murder, it can be anything from a fight to watching illegal porn. Does that warrant life imprisonment/death? Lol

Violent crimes are: murder and non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Illegal porn does not fall into this category. In the case of a fight, if you are beating someone up to the point where people are telling you to stop because you might kill that person or they go slack and you're still punching and kicking them, that is indeed aggravated assault. Fights can kill people, and of course if you do get into a fight and you do kill the other person, the only difference between the first and the second case is a few more blows to that person. I'm not sure that's someone I want living next door to me, working with me, or in a school with children if they cannot control themselves enough not to beat the life out of someone.

To be clear, this is not referring to any acts of self defense which are not considered to fall under violent crimes.

I am aware, but like I said, just as you have the ability to punch someone, you also have the ability to walk away, a choice many many many people have made. Also, the example of a one punch.. and it causing death, is not really a reasonable cause for someone being charged as a violent offender. Violent offenses usually involve the person causing the death of another while intentionally or knowingly attempting to do bodily injury. A spousal abuser, going over to your neighbors house and then beating them to a pulp because their dog won't stop barking, for example. If say two people are drunk at a bar, it's hard to argue that they fought intentionally with intent to harm the other. Now if one punch does kill the other person, and witness testimony backs that up that it seemed like 'just a fight,' that person may get like 5 years in jail, stiff fines, and that would be charged as a felony as opposed to a violent crime because there was no intent to seriously injure.

You have absolutely no idea of crime classifications do you? 🤔

• Yes and no. I feel it's important for prisoners to seek rehabilitation from their ways... but that the same time prisoner recidivation rate is SO high (2/3) that it makes me wonder what the point is for even giving them that chance.

• Yes, everyone deserves a chance at redemption and forgiveness.

• I believe that prisoners who commit crimes that are considered low grade should receive second chances.

violent crimes are not low grade crimes

I actually didn't give you a thumbs down. Here's a tip: it's a good idea for the future, not to just make assumptions without having facts. Second, a violent crime is considered to be murder and non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. None of those say to me, low grade crime. We're not talking someone was caught with an oz. of weed here. We're talking someone put a gun to you and threatened to kill you over your wallet or held your girlfriend down while she screamed and raped her.

Yeah i see

• I believe in second chances.. excluding capital crimes where found guilty.

• Definitely not murder and rape. Those bastards deserve nothing.

• Yes I believe in second chances.

• What kind of violent crime?

Violent crimes are those involving murder and non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.

Hmmm... yes. Everyone deserves a second chance. Although you can't just set them free, you gotta do stuff.

What Girls Said 5

• Violent- hell no they deserve to be locked up even if it was a crime of passion

• Yes, but that really depends on the nature of the offense. Like, in some cases, the answer should be no.

Like, all violence is bad, but there's all kinds of things to consider. I think it's a case by case thing.

What types of violent crimes would make you re-consider?

Really? Ok, I'll paint a contrast.

A nagging wife constantly belittles her husband. She's always telling him what a disappointment he is, a failure, a loser mama's boy with an Oedipus complex. Always trying to bring him down. One day, she gets in his face and says something outrageously horrible to him. He finally snaps, and he punches her across the face.

Scenario two. A loving mom and dad help their son in any way they can. But their son is selfish and can't take responsibility for his behavior. Because he always wastes money, he's broke. So he plots to kill his parents for insurance money. He goes through with the act and stabs them to death in their sleep.

In case one, I don't think the guy deserves much punishment, if any at all. Probably something though. But certainly not life in prison or a permanent record that prevents him from getting a job ever again.

And obviously scenario two, lock him up and throw away the key.

By law, violent crime is defined as murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The first instance you mention is considered assault, not aggravated assault. For the first instance to be considered AA, that would mean the husband assaulted his wife with an intent to kill. One slap or punch with no other history of violence towards his wife or anyone else for that matter, most likely would not land him in any type of full time prison situation. This is why I was asking about violent crimes in particular. We're talking about individuals who intentionally, purposefully, knowingly committed violent crimes against others.

• A violent one like murder, rape or severely brutal assault no but robbery or something lame like that then yeah they might have just mucked up a bit. A lot of people might not regret what they did though so some people might and others won't, it kind of depends on the person and the crime

• It depends, but I would so love to kill off some of those criminals

• I have a felony record and mistameters i was givin 2 chances when i could of when to prison for 6 years

So yes!!!