Would you take in a friendly stray cat or dog?

One really early morning I was leaving for work and this random stray cat was sitting and staring at me. I assumed it would run off as do most strays, but to my surprise it walked up to me and was very affectionate. I left for work and when I returned, there was the cat. To make a long story short despite it being so friendly and cozy towards me I had to turn the cat away before I could take it to a local shelter. So, would you take in a stray assuming you'd take it somewhere for a check up and it was fine?

2mo Thanks for the open and honest opinions on the situation everyone. I'm both surprised and happy to say the cat returned! I was able to feed her and give her some water but she's not comfortable enough to stay in my place. I left some more water and food outside my door so hopefully she'll return for more and then I'll be able to take her to my local shelter since I'm unable to take her in myself.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have taken in many strays. Strays make great pets. Sometimes there is a period of time that you have to wait before they learn to trust you. But strays are always grateful for a home.

I'm so happy your kitty returned! My advice is to just be patient with kitty. Kitty is probably just a bit skittish as not everyone is kind to strays. Just build her trust and I'm sure she will let you take her. Just make sure it's a no kill shelter so that she is guaranteed a good home!

You're welcome!

Thanks! :D

Most Helpful Guy

• If I lived in my own house then yes, especially if it was so friendly. But if it had some sort of collar or some indication of ownership then nope. I honestly can't turn a blind eye to a stray cat sometimes, I get too emotional thinking about what could happen to it LOL.

I'm finding myself thinking about the cat too. I'm probably gonna start buying a little cat food for when she comes around lol. And thanks for the opinion!

No problem dude and good for you! Good luck :)

What Girls Said 21

• Over the years, I have taken in a few Stray Cats, @kjm91. And knowing what I do about cats, these Make... Great pets.
    However, there are times with 'Being so friendly and cozy towards me,' they may be Lost or Belong to someone. A Stray that is usually One, hun, who is Not afraid of another, may Belong to a Family with a Father and a Mother.
    My parents took in a Stray cat. He was starving. Someone had Cruelly dropped him off. Mom and Dad nursed him Back to health, and years later, they proudly Still Say, "Buster Brown is the Best from the Rest Family member Son under the Sun."
    Good luck, Your loss. xx

Thank you for the Like and the lick, hun. xx

That is so cool to hear @Paris13! Who knows what would've happened if it wasn't for your kindness towards these animals. That quote at the end stilll makes me laugh! I appreciate your opinion on the matter and I just wish the circumstances allowed me to take in the cat, cause I would in a heartbeat if she allowed me to.

Oh, thank you for the kind compliment, @kjm91. My Lord, I have taken strays in that have come right from their mother who had a litter, and then some, hun. I love cats, have always had them. However, as of a few years ago, I was Not able to have them where I am living right now, so I do understand where you stand.
      I am sure if you could have taken Pretty kitty in, you would have. And maybe she or he belonged to a family if this friendly. xxoo

• NO PICTURES?

People like to dump their cats around our house so we've had two summers in a row with strays. We already have enough cats so we keep them long enough for a place to open up at the shelter. There are so many abandoned pets. It's terrible.

Just saw your update. You can make her a little shelter out of a Styrofoam cooler with a hole cut in the side and a towel or two on the inside. We always put it in a big plastic bag and weigh it down too.

That's something a neighbor where I use to live did @BellePepper. I probably will try that since it's getting cold where I live.

• I would take it to a vet to see if it was chipped and contact the owner if it was.
    If it was really homeless, I'd have the vet make sure it didn't have any incurable bad diseases and if it checked out, I'd deff keep it rather than send it to the pound.

• We had a cat hang around a lot and he ended up making his way inside. 2 months later and he is currently asleep on top of the aquarium as I am typing this.

• Yes, I would. I'd take any stray animal for help. I'm hoping to become a future Vet Tech, and I say that animals big or small always need help!

• This is how I acquired my orange cat and my daschound puppy.

• I would take it in but I would get it to the vet for a thorough exam.

• You should have. It felt a connection with you. Plus if you had no place to stay wouldn't you want to be taken into a warm home to be taken care of, finaly fed, and loved?

• Yeah i have before my cat was a stray and i've had stray dogs for a while before i found proper homes for them (big dogs small house)

• i would take in a cat

• Yes... just the cat

• Take in? Most likely not but I'd feed it as long as it sticks around.

• I did that already

• Depends on if I had the time, room, and resources to take care of it

• I would if I had my own house. I honestly want every cat and dog I see on the street.

• Both, I love cats and dogs!!

• Both!!

• I'd turn it in

• Yes, I would.

• All my pets are strays. I love animals more than people and I'd suggest that if you see an animal in need you should save it while you can. My childhood dog ran off one night and washed up in my neighbors pond two weeks later, and I still wonder if maybe he would still be around had someone seen him and picked him up.

• I already have. I have two ex-homeless assholes living in my house now. My cats were strays. I took them in about 4 years ago. Now they're fat cats.

What Guys Said 22

• I have taken in 3 stray dogs. One I walked home cuz lucky he had a name and number on his collar. Owner didn't live too far from me. Another one I called the animal control and he had a chip in him. The last one was a puppy very well behaved too. The owner came and found him.

• Cat. I've grown to distrust dogs whreas cats have never wronged me before.

The thing is domesticated dogs are much better rather than big dogs like German Shepherds, pitbulls or rottweilers as such because they can kill children and sometimes adults if strong enough. Owning a pitbull to me is like owning a bobcat... it's just wrong to have dogs like that. only certain dogs should be legal.

Reasons why I dont believe in dogs being put down for a crime they don't understand theyve commited. It should be the guardians who should be punished... not the dog. If you think your dog is prone to be aggressive with strangers or friends as such, then do the right thing a muzzle it.

@Mrwoo99 I get you. And sorry if I came off as someone accusing you thinking these dogs are evil. Funny thing is I actually want a Black Lab or Basset Hound because most places won't allow pitbulls or rotweilers where I live. But thanks for the opinion on the matter.

• Where we live in if you take a stray cat in that cat automatically belongs to you so it's a big risk to take in a stray cat. I do believe cats can take care of their self better than dogs especially when they are strays it's sad to see a dog with no home and stray, thin, needs medical attention. Yes, we have took in few stray cats and it's sad to see they have no homes and it's a high risk cause stray cats are considered "Feral Cats" I saw so many sick cats it was heart broken.

• The family has before

• As others said I would probably feed it and after a while see how it is going.

• I did well sort of... My uncle took in a stray cat, and when he went into assisted living I took in his cat...

• I am allergic to cats and some dogs, and my place is too small for a dog anyway.

• No. The last couple times that I have, I regretted the decision. Animals do not feel gratitude, so any stray taken in should actually serve a purpose.

• If my lifestyle allowed me to have pets, sure.

• yes I love animals... as long as they don't bite or have any disease i would take care of some.

• my family once took in a stray kitten

• I would take it in and ask people that I know if they want him. If nobody did, I might try and keep him.

• Ummm nope unless I was ready to pet her Lol

• I have plenty of times, whether cats, dogs, even birds

• I will always take in a cat but a dog ima have to think twice😂

• Both. Aspca commercials really fucked me

• yeah, but take them to the vet.

• Hell no.

• Yes.

• I have several times.

• Yes but I would take it to the Vet and make sure it was healthy and okay

• I'd call the local animal shelter or animal control and have them deal with it because I just simply can't take in any animals. I don't even own any pets myself, so I would not be prepared nor would I be adequately equipped to take in and take care of a stray cat or dog.