Affirmative Action... positive or negative?

Interested in people's feelings regarding Affirmative Action. Are you for it or against it? do you see it as just or unjust discrimination?

for those outside of America, affirmative action was/is a policy that began in the late 70s to try and bridge what was seen as a racial, economic, ethnic, and gender gap of opportunity. Programs were put in place to try and boost the number of minorities in various arenas like grade schools, colleges/universities, and the workplace.

2mo i also... as an exercise... wonder if people would build a case that is opposite their personal leaning. so if you are in favor of or support affirmative action take a stab at seeing the other side. why it's negative or damaging... and same for those who are against it. build a case why it is positive or needed

this is a common exercise in debating. building a case for the side you don't necessarily agree with.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think its a positive negative lol

just as an exercise... take it or leave it... would you mind building a case for affirmative action? reasons why it is positive or needed?

It was suppose to be a dumb joke. Positive. Negative... positive negative.

i thought you were being sort of serious as in, it's aim is positive but it's consequence is negative.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm all for it. It's imperative that we have a more diverse police service for one. It would probably encourage more community outreach and foster understanding.

I can understand people's frustrations about it to some extent though. There have been Asian-American groups that have sued Ivy League schools for denying them to allow for more non Asian people to get in. It must suck being qualified for something and being denied to great schools because there's 'too many' Asians. It's interesting that there are groups from the so-called 'model minority' who are annoyed by affirmative action in education. I tend to think terms like model minority are pretty damn racist though but that's just me. Asian-Americans are approaching white Americans in things like net worth so they will probably get hit by more of that in the future too.

Even though I think it has some flaws, the odds are stacked against certain groups more than others in the US. There are some groups where the majority have far better access to opportunities and other groups where there's a severe lack of opportunities.

i2.cdn.turner.com/.../...-asian-wealth-780x439.jpg
    Do people think it's just coincidence that net worth is much higher for some people than it is for others? Steps should be taken to get people out of this cycle of very little change for black and Hispanic people especially. There's so much untapped potential that's getting ignored simply because schools are a disgrace in certain areas over others.

Affirmative action isn't perfect but I still think there's a need for it is basically what I'm saying.

just as an exercise... take it or leave it... would you mind building a case against affirmative action? reasons why it is negative?

@madelacroix I've seen studies that go both ways to be honest.

Check Indian Americans, they are doing very well

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 10

• I'm against AA. There may have been a time when it was justified to discriminate based on race or gender but not anymore. And that's what AA is: It's purposeful discrimination, which means school admission and/or hiring decisions are being based at least in part on race or gender. I don't think that's what Dr. King was advocating when he said that he wanted his children to be judged on the content of their character and not on the color of their skin. And I think it does a disservice to those groups who are benefited by the discrimination of AA. Instead of always being able to know and take pride in the fact that they achieved something based solely on merit, they have to wonder (as will others) whether or not they got into XYZ University based on a factor like their race. I think that's very demeaning to the groups that AA is supposedly trying to help.

• In Brazil there are a lot of Afirmative Actions and I don't like them in general. I understand the concept of it but I think that when you practice such actions you're saying: "I'll have to help you because you're not capable of doing it yourself".

just as an exercise... take it or leave it... build the case for affirmative action? reasons why it is positive or needed?

thanks for expanding on your initial point. but i was wondering if you could build the case FOR affirmative action. basically try to understand why people who see differently than you, as there are many who do, feel that affirmative action is necessary

Oh, they normally say that it's a way to equalize things, to give opportunities to the ones who don't have it or didn't have it for a long time, therefore it's fair. I haven't heard arguments that differ much from it.

• I am against it. I grew up in Canada and was taught from an early age that everyone is equal and can achieve the same if they want to. Quotas and incentives goes completely contrary to that: I believe in a meritocracy.

Some people may feel intimidated or unwelcome in some jobs because of their gender identity/ethnicity/religion. Affirmative action would encourage those on the fence to pursue that field, and in doing so, show others that anyone can do it if they choose to.

• negative, it just makes us more racist. for it excludes people who are more qualified for minorities who are less qualified, just because they are an minority. second it shows a belief that minorities are normally to incompetent to get the job and must be given it

i think if you replace racist with discrimination i agree with a good amount of what you said

just as an exercise... take it or leave it... build the case FOR affirmative action? reasons why it is positive or needed?

• It's legal discrimination.
    Let me argue against my belief: for lack thereof the black minority would be even more underrepresented in higher positions (hispanics should not receive these just bc they don't do as well as whites and Asians) which would lead to complete disenfranchisement by blacks who would become a destabilizing factor in our nation.

i agree that it is legal discrimination... and thanks for presenting the counterpoint!

• I'm against AA. I believe that all humans are equal regardless of the color of their skin and that race should not affect one's chances of being accepted to a colleg or hired for a job.

I don't think I can

well i'll give you the quote my AP government teacher gave me from thomas jefferson, (paraphrasing) you can't understand an issue if you can't see it from both sides.

• Affirmative action is completely racist. It helps people purely based upon their race. It is pure discrimination.

discrimination yes. racist nah... but regardless

• It's a negative if you want to know why look up Ben Shapiro he's highly educated and has already explained it as well, if not better, than I could.

just as an exercise... take it or leave it... build a case for affirmative action? reasons why it is positive or needed?

• I don't know about then, but now it's negative.
    A the very least it should be way toned down.

There were a lot of Irish slaves in that time and they were less valuable than African slaves but whatever. African slaves in British America were a drop in an ocean if you were going to be a slave at the time then you'd probably want to be in america.

But all that is irrelevant, point is that 300+ years of slavery doesn't count for shit. It WAS a reality, but it's not reality for black people today. Black immigrants that arrived post-slavery did well for themselves. Even if there is institutionalised racism present, I don't find it believable that there is institutionalised racism present to the extent that it would hold people down who have a certain amount of melanin in their skin.

In the end it's about what is their levels of social cohesion / quality of life / stability / etc. What levels do we want them to be at, how do we get there and sustain that trend. Slavery is in the past and we only need to be concerned with our present situation and taking control of the future. Affirmative action isn't helping like it's supposed to and while it's failing to help it's being unfair to others. I think if black communities focused on doing right by themselves they'd see positive change in spite of any institutionalised racism and any that was present would become too obvious to ignore.

Since you're having trouble ending the conversation I'll help you out. Bye.

• Negative now but was needed back then

It was only needed back when people were discriminated from getting the job or into schools based only on race even when they were qualified

... nevermind