Why are some people so stupid to think that unless research has a foreseeable end product, it is useless?

SCIENCE DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY!!!

Everything that led up to applied research started out as basic research with no foreseeable end product.

Most Helpful Guy

• Actually, the majority of all scientific and technological advancements in human history are merely improvements on existing ideas.

That's not to say research with no planned application is pointless, but there are certainly some things that needn't be studied as they are either plainly obvious or a clear waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

What Guys Said 3

• While I agree with you completely, I can understand why some people might think that way and I'm hesitant to discount them all as "stupid". There definitely has to be a balance between present value and future value and what you're basically talking about are people who simply value one over the other. The thing is, I can all but guarantee that there are some subjects for which you do the same.

• i dont know, the media uses it to tell us bullshit i guess?

• Right.
    Besides sticky notes, teeth whitening gel & viagra the biggest coincidence in my era is the microwave oven.
    The US was working with the Brits making a microwave aircraft defense system. There was a small mock up simulator. They were showing how it works, some guy felt this burning in his pocket. He had a chocolate bar in there melting by the microwaves. The 1st microwave oven was actually called the Amana radar range.

What Girls Said 0