Swelling and pain in neck?

Yesterday every now and then I would get a minor pain in the left side of my neck. Last night I checked it and it was very swollen. The left side of my neck, when looking forward towards a mirror my right neck was fine but the left was not straight form the swelling. Today I woke up and the pain Is still there and minor swelling. The pain comes and goes at times depending on what I'm doing. I was in a car accident about a month and a half ago and the seatbelt locked and caused massive scraps and burns on the left side of my neck, the same side this is. However, I'm not concerned that there is something wrong because after the accident the hospital gave me neck x rays and then a ct scan to further investigate. They said I was fine and released me that night. What do you guys think? I've told my mother and she said if it doesn't go away in a few days then we'll have to get it checked out but I'm not like worried about it. The only thing I could think is in one of my classes I have to completely turn my head to the left to see the board. I usually use my hand to hold my head pretty far to the left, so maybe it's that? Any help is appreciated, I'm about 99.5% it's not serious so I'm not very worried but just curious.

What Girls Said 1

• Go back to the emergency and get tested again and ask for painkillers.

What Guys Said 2

• Unless there are sharp and severe pains in the spine, then I'd do as your mother suggested. See if it goes away on it's own. This sounds like it's on the surface, and likely is muscular.

Stop twisting your head to one side so much. That can certainly cause problems over time, although I don't know if it would cause swelling. Be careful with your posture, especially with activities that you spend a lot of time with. That especially goes for your posture using computers if you spend much time on them. Also pay attention to how you sleep, like always sleeping on one side with a big pillow (same with sleeping on the couch with your head raised).

Use some common sense though. If your gut tells you "something is really wrong here", then get the hell to a doctor.

• It's probably just your lymph glands, it could be caused by an infection. If you have had a cold, dental abscess , throat /ear infection or tonsillitis it's probably Been caused by that however if they don't go down or get bigger in the next few weeks, if the feel hard when you press them or you start to get a sore throat and find it difficult to. Deaths or swallow go and see your doctor.